What mods to improve grip?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use pieces of bicycle inner tubes for lots of things, including ruber bands and improving the grip on the Streamlight Luxeon 4AA Propoly, D-cell Maglites, and Dorcy CR123A 1 watt flashlights.

Bicycle shops discard used inner tubes of various sizes. Ask for a couple and tell them how you plan to recycle them.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used small strips of inner tube glued to the flats on some things like this, that would not wreck the look completely. Cloth medical tape will work thing, or cloth electricians tape. Small strips of leather might work also glued in place on the flats, or wrapped around the light and glued in place.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use bike tubes on a few of my lights.
  • Wipe the dust off.
  • Use alcohol as a lubricant when slipping it on, if necessary.
  • Finish up by wiping down with ArmorAll.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grip tape

Any half decent hardware store will have it too. Rough on pockets, and some will find it too rough for their hands.

Cheers. :buddies:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oops, I saw the title to this thread and thought you were suggesting that we moderators need to "tighten up the ship"! :D

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is something like shrink tube that is used for fishing pole handles but feels like rough-out leather. You could also use a hole punch on the shrink tube to make it more grippy and give it an interesting pattern to boot.

-LT

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread pops up every once in awhile.

Some "blast from the past" ideas:

- Foam bicycle handlebar pads -- can be hard to slip on, but HUBBA, HUBBA!! Cushy and warm when it's cold out, or stays cooler when it's hot.
- Friction tape -- cheap, works great, with a sticky grip, but has a smell to it.
- Adhesive ('cause there are non-adhesive versions that don't work as well) racquet or bike handle tape.
- the ever popular old inner tube trick, as stated above.
- as for the medical adhesive tape mentioned before, if you look for it, it comes in quite a few colors.