what is it about pelican lights that...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is it about pelican lights that people go for?
I went to a full line pelican shop the other day and was floored about the sheer size of their flashlight line. It looks like they have many different areas coverd quite nicley. The light that jumped out at me was this funky right angle light that looks a little like the army right angle light. Execpt that the pelican had a single 1 watt LED and they are using some new famgled mount where the emitter is mounted facing the reflector looke like one of those telescopes that used internal reflectors to increase focal length. Foe a one watt light this is one BRIGHT light. One tiny issue is the slight purple tint in a small area of the square beam. The light seems very heavy duty and has a lifetime guarentee. they basically said if it breake bring in th bits and we wo;; salvage what we can or replace the light. I looked at their 2 123a cell 3 watt light and compared beams with a McLuxIII PD and the Pelicam beam was PERFECT and the tint was a bit on the coolish side.
I walked away pretty impressed. I don't thnk I will be stocking up on this VAST range of flashlights but this is a very good place for the new flashlight freak to start.
Yaesumofo

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I own a few Pelican's. My favorite is my old Super Sabrelite 3C. Very bright (a thrower) and tough. Many of their lights are waterproof to 500'

The angle light you saw was a Little Ed. Comes in incan and LED both conventional and the backwards mounted Recoil system you saw. These are in very common use by firefighters.

Excellent lights and a wide selection. Very worthy of consideration.

Mark

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Their build quality is superb; some of their products are safety-rated for hazardous environments, others have dive ratings, etc. Their beams are also absolutely fantastic, and some are plain mind-blowing (think "recoil" setup). Their newer police line (of which our beloved M6 light is part of) is also really nice.

Plus, I absolutely love part of their warranty statement: "The guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack and children under five." :crackup:

chuck4570

Enlightened
Check out the new M6 Polymer LED Light, looks like a industructable, dependable, small light for all around useage. Pelican has always been one of my favorite lights, I could always find one for any need that I had. The other plus for Pelican is their cases, they make a sized case for everything you can think of, they are great storage boxes for your batteries also.

Chuck

JanCPF

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Plus, I absolutely love part of their warranty statement: "The guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack and children under five." :crackup:
:lolsign: I'd forgotten that. :D

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Pelicans - a SuperSabre 3C, a 2C Super Pelilight,a Stealthlight 4AA, and the M10 4C. These models have been around for awhile. They are very reliable and some have hazmat ratings. My main gripe with all these lights is that they only come with Pelican's [font=verdana, helvetica]Laser Spot Xenon bulbs. The beams are tightly colminated spots with a little bit of spill. I don't really find them that useful as a general purpose flashlight. They work well in the fog or smoke though.

I think that the Streamlight 3C or 4AA luxeons are much better general use lights. They are also safety rated.

[/font]
propoly_specs_05.jpg
Class I, Division I, Group D; Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C, D; Class II, Division 2, Group G; Class III, T3A
propoly_specs_06.jpg
Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C, D; Class II, Division 2, Group G; Class III, T3A
propoly_specs_08.jpg
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Permissible for use in Gassy Mines, Methane/air only. Appr. No. 10C-658-0[/font]
ex30.gif
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SNCH 04 ATEX 3640X, II 2G EEx ib e T4, II 2D T70°C[/font]
led_propoly_specs_06.jpg
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meets applicable European Community Directives[/font]

maxilux

Enlightened
NotRegulated said:
I think that the Streamlight 3C or 4AA luxeons are much better general use lights. They are also safety rated.

Yes i think you are right for this lights, but test the M9 to an Stinger, or an Stinger HP or an SF 9AN and you will see, what this light an do.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know anything about Pelican rechargables but I will have to take a look at the M9. I was just referring to the alkaline battery lights. The Stinger has been around a long time and it is very popular but I don't think Streamlight has done anything much to upgrade it in any significant way. I would think that some of the other manufacturers now can beat it for output, beam quality and runtime. I prefer my Surefire 9P with the P90 bulb to the Stinger.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
The light that jumped out at me was this funky right angle light that looks a little like the army right angle light. Execpt that the pelican had a single 1 watt LED and they are using some new famgled mount where the emitter is mounted facing the reflector looke like one of those telescopes that used internal reflectors to increase focal length. Foe a one watt light this is one BRIGHT light. One tiny issue is the slight purple tint in a small area of the square beam. The light seems very heavy duty and has a lifetime guarentee.

I think you're talking about a Little Ed. I've got one it runs on 4AAs and is quite nice. I don't have the purple tint problem though. It uses the "recoil LED" technology and it's beam is much like a Fraen LP.

-LT

maxilux

Enlightened
Best Battery (Lithium) Lights i know from Pelican is the m6, the m6 Led is good to.
By the Alkaline Lights i not found a real good light.

Paladin

Enlightened
I picked a Pelican M1 LED and M3 LED from an online sale recently, and for the $ was surprised when the lights exceeded my expectations. At full retail I'm not sure I would consider these as "must have" lights.

But two regulated Lux lights (1 watt and 3 watt) for under $80 delivered ain't bad. One for pocket (jean jacket) carry, the other for the glove box makes a pretty good pair for EDC.

Well built, and ruler flat regulation. Run times have been mentioned as low considering the modest outputs, but given the tailcap current draw measured seem reasonable (M1 550mA, M3 625mA). The side mounted switches may be preferred by some, such as guys with several decades of prior Maglite use!

The M6 gets mentioned very often. My experience with the M1 and M3 has been equally positive. Some lights "accumulated" are later "gifted OUT of the lineup". These are keepers!

Paladin

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelicans are the line that made me a flashaholic. If you enjoy small lights that throw, you owe it to yourself to try some Pelicans. Soon they'll release their M3, a 3x123A miniturbo incandescent. It may outthrow the Streamlight TL-3 while costing a bit less.

dragoman

Enlightened
I also like Pelican, I use a SuperSabre 3C for work and it is probably the best thrower for its size....

Warranty is good too, I just broke the clip and they are sending me a new light...

dragoman

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
Darn, I would've thought if one were able to survive one of those attacks due to creative use of one of their flashlights, that they should give the survivor a replacement just for the publicity! Still, you hear about people surviving shark and bear attacks all the time and living a perfectly normal life afterwards, but everyone I know who has lived through children under five has never been the same afterwards. Maybe the sharks and bears aren't as dangerous as we think? :grin2:

KuoH

greenLED said:
Plus, I absolutely love part of their warranty statement: "The guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack and children under five."

firefly99

Enlightened
KuoH said:
Darn, I would've thought if one were able to survive one of those attacks due to creative use of one of their flashlights, that they should give the survivor a replacement just for the publicity! Still, you hear about people surviving shark and bear attacks all the time and living a perfectly normal life afterwards, but everyone I know who has lived through children under five has never been the same afterwards. Maybe the sharks and bears aren't as dangerous as we think? :grin2:

KuoH
I can understand the part on sharks and bears. But what the story for children under five ? Care to enlighten me ? Thanks

bagman

Enlightened
firefly99 said:
I can understand the part on sharks and bears. But what the story for children under five ? Care to enlighten me ? Thanks

I take it you dont have any kids? :D

My youngest, when about 18 months old had been given my EDC light to keep him awake in the car on a journey home and bit threw the rubber boot on my ARC 4+ ruining the waterproofing :rolleyes:

He is now 2 1/2 and can operate just about any of my torches that he finds lying around. He mamanged to turn my Gladius on strobe mode a few weeks ago and thought it was great :D

Paladin

Enlightened
Sierra Trading Post now shows the Pelican M3 LED for $31.96, and the M1 LED for $27.50. Their shipping is a bit high, but the products arrived very fast and well packed when I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago (and pd. $39.95 for my M3!). The contribution to the taxman was also unexpected...

Paladin

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Pelican M-11 on a whim and have to admit I am duly impressed. I'm taking it out tonight on a series of night caches and hikes and look forward to putting it through its paces.

I wish I had the light this winter when my hands would get so cold holding the aluminum barrel of my LEDBeam or LED modded 3D mag.