what`s it like.

K250WB-E.jpg

http://www.hardwareworld.com/2d-Work-Light-pRNHAQ7.aspx

thankyou.

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened
Re: energizer 2D work-light.

I don't own one, but it's probably about like every other cheap 2D cell light. Probably just save your money and buy something better.

Illum

Flashaholic

TinderBox (UK) said:
anybody tried this 2D flashlight.

what`s it like.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/2d-Work-Light-pRNHAQ7.aspx

thankyou.

Possibly the same as the 2D eveready lights...my guess is
DD, don't expect long run times
small or non-existant O-rings = no weather resistance, plashable at most
plastic = possible marginal quality
Krypton bulb...dimmer than the average xenon
smooth reflector = donut, artifacts in the beam
medicre construction such as a huge spring thats not very springy, copper contacts with no oxidation protection
simple clickie switch...possibly water resistant

i have had seen too much of the 2D krypton light...
I joined the forum...got into LEDs...

Hope this is of use to you...
Enjoy!

randyo

Enlightened

These types of lights are ideal for that kind of situation - IF you throw away the incan bulb and plug in the SMJLed LPR-2 bulb. You then have days of run time and increased light ouput as well. It ups your initial cost by the price of the replacement bulb, but you more than make that up in battery life/cost. Want a better choice? Try this one with an SMJLed LPR-2 bulb:

Eveready 2AA Floating Waterproof Flashlight

It's made better, easier to hold & carry, and has a nice beam pattern with above mentioned LED replacement. The AA size has long run time with these replacement SMJLed, probably between 12 and 24 hours depending on your choice of batteries.
They make a 2D in this style also but I don't think the reflector design works as well with the SMJLed (in my experience).

Finding them may be a problem for you being across the pond, but here's a "bloke" selling 5 on Ebay!!

Everady Flahslights

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

hello randyo

I was going to put PRSMJLed in it anyway.

I was looking for something that can take some abuse, so i thought the energizer flashlight with the rubber parts.

regards.

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened

I have several cheap lights including a energizer find me. They do the job they were made for and most do a good job of it. To many people think that since there are now 1000 lumen lights, at hundreds of dollars, that the ones we have used for decades now, are no longer of any value. I say buy it, and enjoy.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

i can say that it feels solid as i had seen one at some department store. didn't buy it, i have better lights :) and i didn't bring money!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know about that particular light, but you might be able to get a on a Tec-40 from REI for $6.93. It is an excellent light, and even comes with batteries and a lanyard.

Oh...you are in the UK...so you are probably looking for something local.

Hmm...

I got an Energizer Hardcase 4AA for about $10, and it is actually a pretty nice light.
Do you have access to the little River Rock/Nuwai 2AAA 1/2w LED lights? Those might fit your needs as well.

EDIT: oops, I didn't realize you intend to use the SMJLED.
Well, the Hardcase mentioned above is actually a 3v light (the bats are in parallel). It is very tough!

Good luck!

Bob

Last edited:

thunderlight

Enlightened

I have the "camping" model, called the "trail finder" in 2xAA form factor. It is green with a yellow lanyard, aside from that it is identical to the 2xAA version of the model you are referencing.

It is an interesting model because it unscrews into 3 components, one for the battery section, the tail, one for the switch section, the middle, and one for the bulb section, the front. There are no o-rings evident, but the pieces fit together very tightly, so the waterproof claims are probably accurate, but I wouldn't sink it to any depth.

The beam has a small spot formed by the small central "refraction" lens built into the lens. Some minor artifacts with a Mag White Star bulb, doesn't work well with a Magnum Star Xenon bulb, however. The White Star worked better than the stock bulb and I had a bunch of them laying around. The reflector is faceted in the center, but smooth elsewhere.

In summary the beam has 3 components, small bright central spot, a bright ring surrounding the central spot with no dark intervening region, and a spill region that is less bright. One of the things I really like about it is that well defined central spot is useful as a pointer to indicate to another individual precisely where something is.

It has a large reflector relative to its size so throw is very good, and probably much better in the 2xD model. The plastic is extremely durable, but this is a cheap light with lots of exposed copper strips throughout the interior. The lens seems to be an extremely durable plastic, heavier duty than the lens of a Mag. The switch is a standard clicky with intermittent capability, same action as a Mag.

In summary, generally good value for the price range for the 2xAA and I suspect the same for the 2xD.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have a few rubberized lights and find the odor annoying. I find cheap 2D lights work fine for what I buy them for and even have a nice rayovac roughneck 2D with click switch that is focusable I put a halogen bulb in it.

thunderlight

Enlightened

There is no significant rubber / hydrocarbon odor associated with this light. As a comparison, the rubber Sears / K-Mart Craftsman rubber lights have a very detectable and annoying hydrocarbon odor. The body of these lights is more of a hard durable plastic, even the grip which is made of the same material, with an ergonomic molding pattern.

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened

Ive got the 2xAA version of that light. It definately durable, and midly water resistant. I guess with an led in it, it would make a good light for an emergency. Nothing I would want to use on a daily basis though.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

TinderBox (UK) said:
The energizer 2D work-light, does the it a PR type bulb.

thanks.

Yes, Tinderbox, I believe the Worklight has a PR based bulb.

Bob