18 LED 'Double Barrel' Conversion

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
18 LED \'Double Barrel\' Conversion

Here's a new flashlight to add to the ~100 others I have...
The body is composed of an aluminum billet hollowed out to look like a double barreled shotgun, and (apparently) it at one time had a focusable head as well.

The conversion is that from incandescent to 18 white LEDs.

db1.jpg

The flashlight itself.

db3.jpg

...comes apart and has two seperate carriages holding three "AA" cells each.

db2.jpg

Here is the LED configuration...

db4.jpg

...and this is how it appears on the test target next to a brand new C.C. Expedition (7 overloaded LEDs).

What I've found is the Expedition dims unexpectedly quickly (a few months of frequent but intermittent use) while I suspect the Double Barrel conversion to maintain "like new" brightness much longer because the LEDs are driven more gently.

Comments?
Questions?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18 LED \'Double Barrel\' Conversion

Very impressive looking light. That is one of those that are being sold on Ebay in very small amounts right now isn`t it? I have seen them there and was tempted by one myself, if only my bank balance would allow it at the moment! Never mind, maybe I`ll still get to have one, they don`t seem to be selling too fast cos of the high start price.

Some questions then-
What do you reckon the battery life will be like, have you measured the current draw yet?
Waterproof? Durable? Heavy? I`m not familiar with the Energiser Double-Barrell light, you can`t get them any more over here.
Is it worth the $95-odd (well the last one I saw listed on Ebay was selling for that much
shocked.gif
) or should we Flashaholics set our sights on something from the Expedition range perhaps??
What are your opinions, if any, of the other colours they are offering- would a turquoise (blue-green) be the brightest perhaps (going on Photon light brightness)? I must admit I`m very fond of those turquoise LEDs so may be more inclined to go for one of them instead of white, especially since I can get white leds to make my own similar light if I wanted but have still not found anywhere that has those wide angle turquoise Photon-like LEDs for sale (let alone overseas to me in the UK).

<font size="1">and who did leave the ciggarette burn in the couch?!
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Millinship:
Some questions then-
What do you reckon the battery life will be like, have you measured the current draw yet?

Waterproof? Durable? Heavy? I`m not familiar with the Energiser Double-Barrell light, you can`t get them any more over here.
Is it worth the $95-odd (well the last one I saw listed on Ebay was selling for that
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see here...
Battery life: unknown, not yet measured.
Getting a precise measurement with the totally alien battery configuration could be difficult, but I can get a measurement which will get very close.

Waterproof, unknown.
Probably water resistant at very minimum.

Durable, to some degree I'd say probably.
The main part of the body is made from a billet of solid aluminum which was hollowed out to accept the battery carriages.
The head appears to have been secured with adhesive, as it will not come off.

Heavy, yes it is fairly heavy. It feels like you're holding a very substantial instrument in your hands when you're using this flashlight. This is due to the solid metal body and the 6 alkaline "AA" cells.

Is it worth it?
Won't know till I knock it off the table and watch it explode into hundreds of sharp little pieces all over the floor... or not.
It is certainly bright, and because it is resistored (1 resistor for every 3 LEDs), the LEDs should remain at "like new" brightness for a longer period than flashlights who drive their LEDs to the max.

The light is supposedly a very limited production, as the Double Barrel Energizer body has apparently been discontinued.
I've never seen a Double Barrel until this flashlight arrived, so I know nothing about them or their initial durability.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
What are your opinions, if any, of the other colours they are offering- would a turquoise (blue-green) be the brightest perhaps (going on Photon light brightness)? I must admit I`m very fond of those turquoise LEDs so may be more inclined to go for one of them instead of white.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The turquoise would probably be brighter, but that will depend on the type of LEDs he used in its construction. There are three distinct types out there - the very narrow angle 2° by 4° type, a medium 15° type (with distinct rings) and a wide 45°+ type such as the one used in the Photon II.
If I had to pick and choose, I'd pick the 45° LEDs for this purpose. The beam would be cleaner, and it would be plenty bright; very likely bright enough to blow just about everything else clean out of the water.

<font size="1">and who did leave the ciggarette burn in the couch?!
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
</font>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was actually my stepmother's doing.
It occurred years before I actually received the (secondhand) sofa, which I did when they moved out of Washington last year.
That burn very likely happened while we were still in our Alaska home fifteen years ago.
shocked.gif

Don't get me wrong - I've burned plenty of sofas, blankets, and shirts over the decades, but I've yet to damage that particular couch.
grin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

FYI, I think saw "new" doublebarrels at Walmart the other day. They are now available anodized.

I don't think these were surplus inventory. Tha packaging looked different from what I remember.

They have AA (x6) and AAA (x6).
Now this is a vague guess: available in Red, Blue, and Natural Aluminum.

Sorry, can't remember the prices.
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gadget:
FYI, I think saw "new" doublebarrels at Walmart the other day. They are now available anodized.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smack in the middle of a major US city, and nary a Wall Mart to be found.
frown.gif

Same with Kmart, wallgreens, eagle, home depot, and all those other fun stores that everyone else seems to have in droves.
blush.gif

Makes me want to move to a place like Kansas City or Flint.
tongue.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

FWIW
-I'm sittng here re-looking at my EIGHT AA double barrel found @ Home Depot
for $10.-about a year ago (xenon lamp-powerful)!
So, maybe if a flashaholic wanted to attempt an LED conversion, a trip to a
H.Dep. store might pay off.-hmmm... (especially if Craig could show some detailed inside pix..(hint,
hint)...
My.02 worth

Doug,

That's right, they were 8 cell weren't they?

Do they make both, or are the 6's new ones?

Now that I think about it, can't be sure what I saw at Walmart, 6 or 8...

Doug

Enlightened

What the?! My double barren uses *4* AA's... so, they have 6 cell, and 8 cell, eh? Wow.. Trip... I can not check E-bay right now as they are down...

Doug

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
So, maybe if a flashaholic wanted to attempt an LED conversion, a trip to a
H.Dep. store might pay off.-hmmm... (especially if Craig could show some detailed inside pix..(hint,
hint)...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I can tell, I would have to completely demolish the $100 flashlight in order to gain access to the head assembly.
frown.gif

The person who built these made them permanent and I do mean permanent.
shocked.gif

Probably used epoxy or cyanoacrylate to seal the head assembly together.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gadget,
yep, it's definitely an 8
cell....
If I was somebody interested in
a 6 or 8 cell double barrel, I'd
call all the Depot, Walmart Stores on th PHONE, in the area,
or use the "Fast" search engine
(my favorite) and just index -Eveready Double Barrel.
Being a lightaddict,-$10. for
this flashlight just overcame my
frugal instincts.
smile.gif

theotherDoug

Looks like I'll be heading to Walmart tomorrow.
wink.gif

6 cell sounds like the perfect (4.5v) LED convert.

Then, I'll know what they cost.
grin.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

does that 8 cell doublebarrell operate with 4 cells installed in one side?
if so it may be a worthy candidate for a conversion here.
not worth squat if it cant use nicd/nimh.
i refuse to subsidise the energizer bunny
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Telephony,

I just wanted to let you know that if you planned your trip right you could hit many of the stores you're interested in. There's an Eagle (now Lowe's) on Rainier Ave, Walgreens on Jackson St. and Home Depot on 1st Ave just south of where the Kindome used to be. The only far away store is Walmart which is in Renton. But, here's the crappy part: I've been to all of them and none of them have *#$@%!! in the way of flashlights.
mad.gif
It's absolutely pathetic. All of the goodies that everyone else is finding at Walmart don't exist at our Walmart (or anywhere else). However, they do have the Energizer Double Barrel flashlight. I think it's the 6AA and it sells for $13. I'll be going back again anyway because they have Mini Mags for $8.67 and I need another one for the project I discussed with you the other day. Plus, Walmart's still a pretty cool store to shop at despite its lack of flashlights. So, let me know if you want me to pick you up one and we can make the necessary arrangements
smile.gif

Mark

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 8 cell doublebarrel that I have is laid out exactly like Craig's (exc. 4 AA cells
in each side-like seen in pix above).
BTW-I'm now using Sanyo 1650maH
NimH AAs & it works great.

Well, I goofed.
tongue.gif

Went to Walmart today. The new ones I saw were 4 cell, not 6. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up. I know mine were.

Looks like the only good candidates would be 8 cell doublebarrels.

Wonder where the 6 cell came from that Craig got...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mooremj:
Telephony,

I just wanted to let you know that if you planned your trip right you could hit many of the stores you're interested in. There's an Eagle (now Lowe's) on Rainier Ave, Walgreens on Jackson St. and Home Depot on 1st Ave just south of where the Kindome used to be.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm... two of these in gang territory and one in an area demolished by the earthquake.

But I'd probably pick the lesser of three evils, and head down to that Home Depot location you cited, since that part of town isn't too bad during the day.
smile.gif

The only far away store is Walmart which is in Renton. But, here's the crappy part: I've been to all of them and none of them have *#$@%!! in the way of flashlights.
mad.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that pretty much blows.
frown.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Guess I'll stick with that Fred Meyer in one of the more "colorful" parts of town, or just say screw it and buy them from ebay because Freddys has a sucky flashlight selection anyway.
grin.gif
cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edwood:
Check it out, seriously. I think since these have been discontinued by the mfr. that they will soon be in short supply and enter into the "rare collectible" status.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that does it. No way I'm going to take a hammer to my Double Barrel - for it would seem I might have trouble finding a replacement before too long.
blush.gif

Anyone else care to hack theirs up in the name of science?

Nick

Newly Enlightened

I have one of these types of lights {AAAx4}and if done right series Parallel can be changed into series. but first the wiring arangement: two AAA's go into each chamber positive up. the two ends at the back conduct into the body. inside the flashlight there are two springs that hang off each positive chamber and a screw in the middle for negative. inside the plastic head that screws in the positive leads are spliced toghther and the negative goes to the socket

hope this helps
grin.gif