Want to be invisible?

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
If the cloak steers light around the object, a laser could be used to detect it now, wouldn't it? So it should read "invisible under normal circumstances now"? :D

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So when can I get my Aston Martin with this stuff installed? I've already got the rocket launchers and ejector seat.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure that there have already been a few practical applications that provide some degree of invisibility using a few completely different approaches. It doesn't have to be perfect to still be very useful. Some of the "DAZZLE" camouflage experiments with airplanes during WWII showed that useful levels of invisibility could be attained in relatively simple, low tech ways.

I'm confident that at least to a certain extent, it's here now. I wouldn't assume that it doesn't exist just because we haven't heard much about it. Those who want it badly enough to spend the necessary amount in R&D probably will find a greater return on their investment if they keep it quiet.

dragoman

Enlightened
Depending on capabilities, this could be very useful when working in high radiation environments.....I used to be a navy nuc, so I think about that kind of stuff....

dragoman

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
They mounted search lights to the bottom of the planes to make them invisble from below on a sunny day.