Got a new KL1 head on the way, anything I should know?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't resist. I have the black HA E1e and OpticsHq had the KL1 in the matching black, so I jumped on it. Looks like it will become the perfect EDC. I wish the regulation with one cell was a little better, but thats ok.

Any suggestions or tips I should know about?

JanCPF

Enlightened
Remember to get the F04 beamshaper for a more floody beam. Run the light on a R123 for 45 min. of 30 lumens full regulation runtime.

Jan

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
JanCPF said:
Remember to get the F04 beamshaper for a more floody beam. Run the light on a R123 for 45 min. of 30 lumens full regulation runtime.

Jan

Do you run unprotected or protected R123s'? I'm kinda getting confusing info regarding this issue. After the 45 min of regulated output, does it drop to nothing or go down slowly?

JanCPF

Enlightened
You should definitely use a protected cell. The KL1 will run the unprotected cell down below safe limits.

When the protected cell is depleted the protection circuit cuts off current, so you will suddenly find your self in complete darkness. That's is the downside to it.

Jan

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without a beamshaper, that thing is going to have no side spill. Kinda hard to walk around without side spill but it'll throw like no other 3W.

Jeff

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
beamshaper f04,

the protected cells just die after 30min... i haven't tryed unprotected

Longbow

Enlightened
I wouldn't reccomend the beamshaper because of the bulk it adds to the small KL1, to say nothing of how ugly the combo looks. I find the limited side-spill adequate for most tasks.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
I wouldn't reccomend the beamshaper because of the bulk it adds to the small KL1, to say nothing of how ugly the combo looks. I find the limited side-spill adequate for most tasks.
i think your in the minority on that one... bulk? not really and its SO worth it...

its not a c-series beamshaper or something that IS bulky...

i can't believe you find the side spill on the KL1 ok for use... it has NO spill whats so ever... but to his, his own :)

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Hmmm, maybe I should just stick to primaries'....
yeah... i would do the same unless you want to carry a spare primary lithium battery... but keep the RCR123 in the KL1 for free lumens... keep it charged... but you'll aways be able to fall back to the great runtime with a primary cell...

my wife carriers the KL1 on a 1x123 body... i had a rcr123 in it but now she has a cr123 and i'm keeping an eye on the voltage level

Longbow

Enlightened
Jar3ds, the original Inova X1 had no side spill what so ever. The KL1 DOES have side spill, albiet "limited". :)

Last edited:

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Got it on my E2L my work light spots little tiny pieces of paper blocking photocells on equipment even wityh ambient light. KL1-E2L rocks just a squarish type white beam.