ARC LS FIRST RUN - H2O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently read an old review of the ARC LS first run (Conestuff) which stated that they are not waterproof at all. Is this true, or were they refering to the actual test model supplied?

I'm now paranoid about getting it wet at all - not a good situation for EDC consideration!!

Any help gratefully recieved. :help:

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyctophiliac, it has been so long I can't remember if I rated the first run LS as waterproof. If it did leak it would either around the lens or where the bezel seperates from the head. I would expect the design to be at least splash resistant. Of course, the light could have been modified to be more waterproof. I know in some cases, people put silicone around the lens and used thread sealer on the bezel. However, I imagine this makes service a bit more difficult.

The 2nd version of the LS, which came out in early 2003 if I recall, was designed at rated to be waterproof. All models after that were also designed and rated for various depths.

Peter

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee, thanks for the memory searching! I do have an intellectual curiosity about this because my 'new' first run LS has become ny favourite light of all and definately my first reach EDC (I love it when people 'Oooh' at the cyan beam!). But I don't think I'll mod it for waterproofing, I'll just enjoy it for the work of art that it is.

What a fantastic torch! You must be very proud, and you should be!! Many thanks.

P.S. Are you sure you didn't get the technology from a crashed ALF ????:lolsign:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First Runs WILL leak if you have not sealed them yourself.
They will leak between the bezel and the optic.
You can use silicone in the bezel befor you insert the optic/lens back....

Also, the threads need some sort of seal too...

Cheers !

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that, bombelman. All info on this light is very welcome.

I'll probably still keep it as it is and not chance damaging it in a quest for waterproofing. If I keep an eye on the BST forum I may pick up a battered version to try out a mod or two.

I'm thinking of relinquishing my flashaholic moniker for a new title - ARCAHOLIC!!

Other lights = over 100
ARC lights = 3 and counting.

Be Happy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.