A new challenge for mod men. The bad area light.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does everyone remember a flaslight called the Beast. Not the SureFire Beast but a 7 cell AA that is built extra thick. This would be a fairly specialized light but would have decent general utility.

This light would be for those times you wished you had more than two hands. You need to use a light for some task but you wished you had a weapon in one of the hands due to where or the conditions where you are at, such as looking under the hood in a bad area.

This light narrow enough to get a very good one handed grip but thick, long, and heavy enough to be put to good use if needed.

I do not know the voltage requirements for the upcomming 5 watt Luxon but this may be the right light for this light, perhaps a 9 or 12 volt SureFire would be the right light. Not sure but the fact that the Lux is durable is a nod in it favor.

This light should utilize between 6 and 9 AA batteries depending on what lamp or led to use and be very sturdy and thick in the body walls yet still thinner that a C or D mag light.

I have seen some of the work done by the mod men out here and have been impressed at some of the work out here with the lathe.

What does everyone think? The ultimate flashlight nightstick.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting thought - as I understand it, one of the main drawbacks of the existing incandescent lights used for this purpose (the larger Maglites, Surefires etc) is that the bulb is likely to blow if you use it in a percussive manner (ie, throw it or whack something/someone with it..)

This is one of the big advantages of a solid state device, so it would make sense to me.

However, we already have some LS mods for 3C/3D Maglites. Wouldn't one of these do the job? Is there a particular reason you want something slimmer? I would think that considering the purpose you are talking about, the added weight/bulk of a C/D based light would be advantageous. A 3C is a bit slimmer than the D, but still has a decent bulky feel to it..

Graham

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Graham. have you ever seen photos of the Beast?

The advantages are better grip, both quicker and faster, greater foot lbs of energy. Much thicker wall than a maglight. I think they were almost the same weight.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
can someone post a photo or a link to a flashlight known as the beast. Not the SureFire Beast. The one sold by ColdSteel a long time ago.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I've never seen one. Was it an aluminium housing like most of these kind of lights?

Is it the flat style of casing like the Princeton Tec AA lights use (Tec 40, Impact, etc)? That style does seem quite easy to grip.

Graham

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough, I started one like this a few months ago. Very "back-burner" now though; The reamer I had to cobble together to make the tube ID AA sized was very crude and kind of "wandered", and that "put me off" a bit.

The VERY heavy (~1/4") walls tube I made would be perfectly functional as is if I used solder tabbed batteries and hooked them up that way instead of just using pressure contact.

It was supposed to be a 10AA NIMH with a built in charging jack.

One end was planned to have 3 series white Nichias for longevity and the other end a high current incandescent beam for brightness.

I may actually finish it sometime. Was going to call it "The Smacker".