E1L Saves HVAC Day

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
An old wall mounted, pneumatic, thermostat had a leaking control air line causing all sorts of grief for cliamate control in that part of the 80 year old building I maintain. The easiest fix was to pull two new, poly, lines 40 feet through the wall from an upper floor to the thermostat.

A pull string, weighted with a plumb bob, was dropped down the wall but the HVAC techs had a hard time finding the target among the other pipes & wires inhabiting the interior void: a 1" hole behind the 'stat. The 3D Mag and 18 volt Milwaukee Tool lights they shined into the hole wasn't visible between the wall at 40' above. About that time they remembered a flashlight demo I gave them months earlier and asked for the light I often carry on my belt - the E1L.

The E1L may have a narrow focus in usefulness as well as beam spread, but it was the right tool for pouring lots of photons into a small hole. There was plenty of light to get the plumb bob in front of the hole where it was gripped with a pliers and pulled through. The poly lines made it up through the 40' maze, the job was a success, and drilling through the thick concrete floor was avoided.

One of the crew who wasn't there that day had purchased an L2 shortly after using and being impressed with one of my SureFires last fall. I don't even have an L2, which seems like a very practical task light for most purposes.

One by one they shall see the light and become "converted".