Fenix L1P with Color LEDs

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Among the bunch of flashlights 4sevens (http://fenix-store.com/) very kindly sent me on loan for review on CPF (see Fenix L1T (vs. L1 v2.5, L2T, Civictor, P1) ) - were some I didn't expect - colored LED Fenix L1P - in Red, Blue and Green Luxeons(?).

Silly size picture -
FenixL1Pcolors.jpg

the Fenix L1P size is well known being a single AA 1watt Luxeon light - for this photo I switched on the lights to make out the difference.

Heads -
FenixL1PcolorsHds2.jpg

one can make out which is the Red LED - it actually has some elements of red - whereas the Blue and Green are hard to tell apart - white LEDs can be distinguished by the yellow of the phosphorous.

All three lights - in color
FenixL1P_RBG.jpg
FenixL1P_RBG2U.jpg

To give an idea of the relative brightness -
FenixL1P_RBGdesat.jpg

I destaurated (removed) the colors (not just took black & white photos or convert the color to black & white photo - as that biases the colors relative brightness due to the panchromatic representation in black & white photos)

Red vs Blue -
FenixL1P_RB2U.jpg
FenixL1P_RB2Udesat.jpg

Red vs Green -
FenixL1P_RG2U.jpg
FenixL1P_RG2Udesat.jpg

Green vs. Blue -
FenixL1P_GB2U.jpg
FenixL1P_GB2Udesat.jpg

Compared to 1watt Luxeon Civictor V1
Red vs. Civictor V1
FenixL1PR_Civic2U.jpg
FenixL1PR_Civic2Udesat.jpg

Blue vs. Civictor V1
FenixL1PB_Civic2U.jpg
FenixL1PB_Civic2Udesat.jpg

Green vs. Civictor V1
FenixL1PG_Civic2U.jpg
FenixL1PG_Civic2Udesat.jpg

These Colored LED (Luxeon?) Fenix L1P are bright! - especially the Red and Blue. The Green is somewhat less bright - but its central hotspot seems very bright.

Red is the correct color for preserving true scotopic night vision - but this red is so bright it is likely to dazzle the cones of the eyes (even if it might not affect the rods) and can cause temporary inability to see in the dark - so I find it hard to imagine how one would use this light for preserving scotopic night vision.

The Blue is fun as it will light up fluorescent items - so it's fun to shine the light around the room to see what has fluorescence......

I regard color LEDs for somewhat specialized use, or for novelty - whether people are willing to pay the relatively "premium" price for colored LEDs ....?

Last edited: