You never see.... modified HDS EDC Ultimate 85s... ???

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
ULTIMATE 85 Q2H

dsc01441red10249as.jpg

dsc01453red8000dh.jpg

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh lord... please tell me why you did that to that beauty... :(

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Why.......? WHY..........?

Because I CAN....... bwaa haaa haaa haaaaah!!!!

Actually because it was severly malfunctioning due to the LE assembly loosening itself inside the bezel. I tightened it but it continued to operate very erratically. I was going to return it to HDS, then after trying to tighten it for the Nth time I decided to take the snap ring pliers and rotate it the other direction. The entire LE assembly comes out as an integrated part and the LED removes almost effortlessly. Ironically I didnt see Billson's post until just now but he confirms what I found. Its really easy to change the LED. Ordinarily, I regard my HDS as a "sealed hood" design in automotive terms. No need or calling to mess around with it, even a disgust for the idea of tampering with Henry's balanced perfection. Obviously why you posted your reply with unconcealed disdain. But in this case, my U85 fell far from grace when it behaved so erratically after the LE loosened. My U85 was stolen some months ago and recently recovered. I was thrilled at the chance to recover the light which I thought was gone for EVER. But there were signs it had been tampered with. I shudder to think what it must have endured, perhaps some fool tried to unscrew the LE to get it operating again when they realized they didnt have the eight bucks (yes, $8 is the cheapest rate for a retail purchase single CR123 cell around these parts) to buy "one of them expensive fat little batteries". So when it no longer functioned at all, i.e. 99% of the time wouldnt respond to the switch action, I decided to go for broke and take it apart. Then swapped LEDs. Took a picture. Posted it. Thats the story, except for one part. I'm under the influence of toxic materials from my Pelican M6 explosion. I'm stuck at home, with too much time on my hands and a warm soldering iron. Not thinking too clearly.... maybe I'll wake up screaming about the travesty I've comitted.... I dunno.

Is that over the top? I can never tell.........

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you look on the outer ring of the light module, next to the LED? It should show you what the bin of the U85 was. It's hand written but you'll have to look really closely.

I hope your foot is feeling better.

Jeff

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man that's a great bin. The cyan Lux III I have is sitting in its box due to the pee pee tint it has :( Nice one Lunar!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx said:
Can you look on the outer ring of the light module, next to the LED? It should show you what the bin of the U85 was. It's hand written but you'll have to look really closely.

Jeff

I second this question!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx said:

Jeff

xochi said:
I second this question!

I third that request :D

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, since the original luxeon is a LuxIII, this LuxI will be overdriven by the driver and thus shift even more blue/true cyan.

How do you like those Aleph LE's BTW?

mosport

Enlightened
The way I see things, Lunarmodule was able to repair his broken U85 and get it functioning again, so thumbsup from me on this mod.

:thumbsup:

If you still have the original U85 emitter, perhaps it could be tested by one of our members with the proper equipment to determine the Vf and flux? We could finally figure out what emitters are (were) used.