So what is the brightest Mag Mod ever?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I just got my Torch from Mac and it is just silly. I mean awesome! Mac is the man when it comes to nice Mags. I have a couple of Mags modded by Mac and they are all nice. :goodjob:

This light got me wondering, what is the brightest Mag made?? I know the torch is 4100 lumens, I dont know if that is total or torch lumens however....

So what is it, the USL, the Torch, the Mag 100, something Ive never heard of???

Any input appreciated.... :drool:

NAW

Enlightened
I think its the USL. I could be wrong, but its a light monster.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Errrr... :thumbsdow

:lolsign:

The "Torch" burns brighter than the USL...so I'm told. If the mail carrier ever gets me my stuff, I'll be able to do a head to head comparison. But, I'm pretty sure the "Torch" will win. :naughty:

-DF

Oh, and PSM, that 4100 should be bulb lumens if I'm not mistaken.

NAW

Enlightened
Depends. From some of the beamshots I seen, the USL is a very bright flood light. Does the reflector of the Torch make a flood or a spot type of beam?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
WELLLL...

The BRIGHTEST MagMod I've seen is a 250 Watt Osram running off 20 1650's. Good for maybe 3-4 minutes before the head got VERY hot!

The Brightest reasonably PRACTICAL (and boy is that a stretch of the word PRACTICAL!) mod without regulation is probably a 64625 100 watt lamp running off 11 1650's.

Bill

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
bwaites said:
WELLLL...

The BRIGHTEST MagMod I've seen is a 250 Watt Osram running off 20 1650's. Good for maybe 3-4 minutes before the head got VERY hot!

The Brightest reasonably PRACTICAL (and boy is that a stretch of the word PRACTICAL!) mod without regulation is probably a 64625 100 watt lamp running off 11 1650's.

Bill
In a 3D host? Where do I get one?? :grin2:

NAW

Enlightened
And to think of all the things things that can be done to my 4 mag 3d cells that are just laying around.:shakehead

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Similar setup to bwaites light, but I chose a 150watter for more runtime and more 'practicality' because I was afraid the stock components couldn't take too many Amps :-

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110551

About 20 minutes of non-regulated light, super heat spewer as well. Will start smoking a newspaper in 2-5 secs.

Prob not 10k lumens as the topic says though, maybe ard 5-7k based on estimates. 10k was from milk carton type litebox readings, so I just put it as it was. :p

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is some work left to do regarding the likes of 'the torch'.. it's a 12-cell 623 IIRC.. and with GP2000s.. which hold voltage better than anything i've seen.. that math worked out to a nominal voltage closer to 1.25V and that puts Vbat at 15.0 and Vlamp about 14.6.. re-rates to 3600 torch lumen.. but that is an enthusiastic rating.. when comparing a direct-drive 64623 from 14.4V source (4D LiON).. the 64625 as 12.5V.. which re-rates to 2700L.. is seemingly brighter in a head-to-head comparison.

Delvance made a 13-cell version of the torch concept here which is going to be far brighter than the torch, and even brighter than the 65W IRC lamp that re-rates to something like 3550 Lumen even when re working the calculator to be 20% less than it's supposed to be.

In a 2D size.. the torch is the reigning king of output for now.. with nominal output about 1000L more than a USL... just plain stunning. I'm sure that the color is a little whiter on the USL..

The Mag625 is a LOT whiter and will look brighter than probably even the torch, not to mention with regulation it doesn't dim..

The upcoming IRC based lights i'm working on.. they have CCT similar to the USL.. but the lamp with the same output of the USL takes under 100W to run vs the 120+ for the USL lamp to get the same output.

It would be neat to have a chart comparing the output of the various mag mods.. specifically of interest.. grouped by size.. 3D, 4D, 2D etc..

One of the hosts i use for the IRC is a 5D light.. it's enormous.. but.. with up to 90 minutes runtime.. specifically.. 93, 66, 49, 37 for the 25, 35, 50 and 65W lamp.. it will output almost identical output to 'the torch' but for 37 minutes!

I'm working on shoe-horning all that power into the most dense solution possible. Anticipate more movement on that once we finish the nanos.

-awr