replace scorpion bulb?

Dabbler

Newly Enlightened
After my first Surfire bulb burned out I thought I was being smart buying a Scorpion as you can replace just the bulb instead of having to buy a whole new reflector assembly.

So when I put a new set of batteries in and the light came on briefly, then went dead I presume the bulb burned out.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to replace the bulb! The old bulb is currently rolling around inside the reflector. The head seems to be all one piece, it doesn't seem to screw apart to remove/replace the reflector assembly.

Streamlight posts manuals on their site but not for the scorpion!

Any suggestions or clues would be appreciated. I really like the output of this light, but don't want to have to buy a new one every time the bulb dies, eh?

Thanks much.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dabbler-

Welcome!. You get to play the Streamlight fishing game!

You always have the option of sending the whole thing back to SL for warranty repair. Otherwise, get a pair of tweezers or small needle nose pliers and try to catch the legs of the bulb as you shake and maneuver it to the hole. If you haven't already, remove the orange washer around the hole.

Don't stick anything inside. It will ruin the reflector.

I have a number of SL's and like them. But, now maybe you see another reason for a one piece lamp/reflector assembly or a large lamp holder that cannot dislodge and end up in the reflector. (Think SF)

Happy fishing.

Mark

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
When you get the bulb out, either leave the little 0 ring out, or ream the little rings hole out so it does not grab the bulb when you turn the head. Ring is there to help center the bulb.

Bill

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fix is fairly easy because I can do it. Procure a good quality, fine tipped needle nose pliers or perhaps a tweezers - good items to have, anyway. Hold the Scorp's head with the lens up while carefully inserting the pliers into the opening. By moving the head or the pliers around you will, in little time, be able to grab one or even both of the leads. Straighten the lamp as much as possible and simply pull it through the opening.

The bi-pins may be flaired out )( or made bowed legged (), SLIGHTLY, to make it harder to dislodge from impact or focusing. I'd let the o-ring in place and turn the light on before screwing the head down to where it's tightly focused and then LET IT THERE. Defocusing the light may loosen the lamp if done repeatedly. The o-ring will keep the lamp centered and may provide some shock protection.

VWTim

Enlightened
Ya know, I've never had this promlem with my Strion and I adjust the head regularly. Just make sure the bulb has a slight bow to the legs as mentioned and leave the O-ring in place. You'll be fine.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my TL-2, I just pull the light assembly out and change the bulb then push the light assembly back in. Is the Scorpion different in that the LA doesn't come out?