4d MaGlite mod with WWOS, with fatman driver. Failed! I cant mod at all! DEAD!

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I want to mod my 4D maglite with a WWOS lux5.
I dont want any electronics, I dont care if there is no regulation.

The Vf for a WWOS is
(S - 5.91V - 6.39V) SO, 4 1.5V D size batteries, = 6 volts,

Can i run the lux5 WWOS direct drive off of 4 D alk batteries?

Should I add a Resistor? If so, what size?
I have a "DHS" D size Heatsink on order for heat management.

Again, i dont care about electronics, i liked the output of the Ledbeam, and that was direct drive. I just need light to come out of one end when i press the button (hopefully, alot of it!)

Any hints would be helpfull, and im sure with 4 D batteries, runtime would be outstanding, the only downside is that is going to weigh a ton.

-bobby

Last edited:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4d MAGlite mod with WWOT (what resistor?)

I'm running a UWOK off three C's DD with no problems yet.

You will not be overdriving your 5W at all with four alks. If anything it'll be underdriven because of voltage drops under load and the resistance of the Mag body and switch.

Mod away!

MM

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

MM, thank you. Ill let everyone know how the mod turns out.
-bobby

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a WYOS in a 2C driven by 2 18500's and a DB917. That thing is freak'in BRIGHT! Throws like a mutha too!

You're gonna luv it :grin2:.

MM

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I modded my father-in-law's 4 "D" mag with VYOT LUX V. With 4 D batteries the output was not that great, then I stuck in 5 "C" batteries and that light is awesome! This was a year and a half ago and it's still kickin'.

Only do this if you don't mind taking risk with your money and LEDs.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might try the 5 C batteries if i get desperate, but im not expecting this to be a light cannon. I want solid output and solid runtime. I might have to throw a board in there if it really is that dim, well see. Im just sick of the stock lamp
Im still up for ideas or hints people! thank you!!

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

for me, i would rather go with a driver for it. why? because a driver isn't going to cost more then the lux V.

a driver will also be able to control the voltage and current through the led, which is good as, as leds get used, their vf will go lower. being able to control current means that you can control the runtime, 700ma for longer runtime/1000ma for shorter runtime and lifetime.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i just posted on another thread about 4D size mod.. you will get the best image and most output from using a K2 and a resistor from 4xNIMH cell.. no electronics required.. it would be better with an ldo driver, but not required.

flash

Newly Enlightened

I've been running a WWOT with a boost driver driver (the Fatman), off of 4 C nimh batteries. Due to the voltage drop, it really won't be very bright with just 4 batteries.

I really think that you're better off adding that 5th battery, or using a driver board.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

UPDATE: I have a soft spot for bright lights, ive decided to use a converter.
i picked up a Downboy 1000mA. It takes voltage between ~3.0V and 16.0V, so at 6volts from 4 D bats, that should work. RIGHT???
Ok, start yelling at me why i chose the wrong thing...
again, this is going to be running a WWOS lux5.

Who needs a pocket rocket, this thing is a Backpack rocket!

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually you did get the wrong driver. It is designed to limit not boost. With 4 D cells you'll be lucky to get 6V to the emitter. And if you're gonna use Nimhs then you're only giving it 4.8V. The DB will essencially do nothing if my understanding is correct.

I use a DB917 in my WYOS because the 2 18500 LI cells put out 8.4V hot off the charger. I'd likely toast the Lux with that.

A Fatman or Shark would be the way to go. You can set the current where you want (say 900ma) and whether you're using Nimhs or alks you'll get regulated output. Probably a really decent runtime too with D's!

MM

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

So if i get the shark board, just wire it up and adjust the trim pot to its higher setting? Would that do it for me? Do i have to adjust anything else?
-bobby

Where do i buy the fatman? i cant find it at the shoppe, and is it cheaper then the shark (26)
thanks

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

nakahoshi said:
So if i get the shark board, just wire it up and adjust the trim pot to its higher setting? Would that do it for me? Do i have to adjust anything else?
-bobby

Where do i buy the fatman? i cant find it at the shoppe, and is it cheaper then the shark (26)
thanks

Yes the Fatman is cheaper ($22) and can be had right from the maker at www.taskled.com I have never used a Shark only Fatmans. So far I've had excellent results. There is a guide on the site for it as well.

MM

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just emailed and inquired for one. THANKS for all the help.
so after i get this, my light (should) be bright?? lol.. this is hard trying to learn and buying stuff you dont need!
-bobby

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK! Fatman on order.
I also discovered a nice source for wire. Take a peice of cat5 Cable. Strip it and removed the 4 pairs. each pair has a White and a colored wire, and its a great size for modding! i think its size 20 or 22, not sure. but it works great and now i dont have to go buy it online.
NOTE: Patch cords are made with stranded cables, the cat5 i use is the same that is run in houses for phone lines is made up of Solid wire.

I also placed an order for 4 NIMH D cell batteries and a charger.
Ya know, this mod was supposed to be a CHEAPIE mod, now im going to end up with another Bright super light, oh well, i hope to enjoy it!

Any tips for using the fat man? Should i adjust the trim pot while the light is on or should i do it while the light is off?
Will the fatman know the VF of the led, or do i have to adjust something? I dont want to blow the led or the driver.

Thank you!
-bobby

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

You want to read and understand the info on George's site about the Fatman. I posted a direct link to the info page in my last post.

You adjust the pot with the light off. The adjustment is very small to get the changes you want. It comes set to 750ma. If you want to slightly overdrive the Lux5 try running it at around 900ma. I forget the ohm setting for that but it's on the page referred to above. Also make sure you don't ever run any juice through it without a load (led) attached or you'll burn it up.

MM

Edit:

BTW solid core wire is OK. I usually use it to bridge between stars in a Tri-Lux. However I much prefer the 22g 19 strand wire for everything else. It's way more flexible and easy to work with.

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

cat 5 is made from 24ga wire.. fortunately it's plenty thick for the low current used for a luxeon.. especially when using it with a constant current driver.. it won't make any difference at all in the brightness.. it will only very very slightly affect efficiency (literally might make it go from 92.98% to 92.96% or something.. absolutely negligible. I use 30ga wire to wire the likes of nano or groovy.. when you do the math.. the voltage drop is in the milivolt range.

the fatman is really easy to preset the current as described.. using the formula or the chart and just setting the resistance with the trimpot.. but you can easily verify by measuring the voltage drop from the LED- to the GND.. since that is where the sense resistor is and it's 0.1ohm.. just use ohm's law.

george is awesome at answering questions.. i'll make a claim to having a more intimate knowledge of fatman than likely anybody else on CPF, and love to help people get them working.. including some pretty cool hacks like getting it to work at more than 12V input.

(i've blown a lot of fatmen in the learning curve).

Fatman is NOT open-ckt tolerant... that's it's biggest pitfall.. even when testing i solder the connections.. an open ckt on a boost ckt usually means it will ramp up voltage trying to get to 1A (or whatever the setting).. and blows up something.. sooo been there done that. Other than that.. if you follow the Vin and Vout rules you will be good.

-awr

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4d MaGlite mod with WWOS, with fatman driver. HELP me along this mod!

Mirage and AWR,

I really appreciate your help on this mod. I have done my share of lux swaps but this is my first total conversion. I still have tons of questions for you guys, your patience is FANTASTIC!

I know it would be more efficient to have all the peices right now, but i am trying to gather up info BEFORE i blow the Driver/Led/Batteries.

OK, I read the page posted by mirage, I dont understand some of it, but im trying to learn.
if you follow the Vin and Vout rules you will be good.
Can you explain this please.

1? If i were to hook up the fatman, leave the trimpot alone and drive the Lux at 750ma, That wouldnt be very bright, right?

2? I have come to understand, The lower the ma, the longer the runtime, but the lower the output. Is this correct?

3? If the above is correct, I am thinking 875ma. would be Bright, and give me decent Runtime. I have a Fluke meter, When testing:
To adjust R1 (the trimpot), measure the resistance with an ohm meter with probes across VIN- and POT and then refer to the following table. Turning the trimpot clockwise increases the resistance and increases the output current.
From the page

When testing this, I do this when the fatman is not conected to anything, correct? Otherwise, the only way to test the fatman, id have to hook up the lux as to not burn it out.

4? Will I have any problems with the WWOS lux5 that i have being driven at near 875ma? I will be running 4 D size NIMH.

5?Let say i find the correct resistance, set the trim pot to 875ma, Install the lux on the heat sink and conect the wires to the fatman, everything is properly heat sinked.... Is there anything else i have to do before i turn on the light? Such as adjusting the fatman. I dont want to blow the led up either.

Again, thank you guys sooo much! :goodjob: :rock:

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you explain this please.

1? If i were to hook up the fatman, leave the trimpot alone and drive the Lux at 750ma, That wouldnt be very bright, right?

Yes it would.

2? I have come to understand, The lower the ma, the longer the runtime, but the lower the output. Is this correct?

Yup.

3? If the above is correct, I am thinking 875ma. would be Bright, and give me decent Runtime.

Yes. You probably can't see the difference between driving it at 750ma and 875ma. Then again you might.

I have a Fluke meter, When testing:
Quote:
To adjust R1 (the trimpot), measure the resistance with an ohm meter with probes across VIN- and POT and then refer to the following table. Turning the trimpot clockwise increases the resistance and increases the output current.

From the page

When testing this, I do this when the fatman is not conected to anything, correct? Otherwise, the only way to test the fatman, id have to hook up the lux as to not burn it out.

You can do it if it's hooked up or not just don't turn it on. You are only adjusting and measuring the resistance of the trimpot which increases or decreases the current going to the LED.

4? Will I have any problems with the WWOS lux5 that i have being driven at near 875ma? I will be running 4 D size NIMH.

Nope. It should work great with them.

5?Let say i find the correct resistance, set the trim pot to 875ma, Install the lux on the heat sink and conect the wires to the fatman, everything is properly heat sinked.... Is there anything else i have to do before i turn on the light? Such as adjusting the fatman. I dont want to blow the led up either.

Nope. As long as everything is wired right fire her up and go scare some racoons! :grin2:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

the 'reality check' on the math.. with only 4xNIMH.. (4.8V).. you can get a range of about 8 to 9.6W input.. so running a single LuxV you will be 'golden'.

750 is actually the max recommended dose for lux V according to lumileds but we modders commonly push as much as 1A.. somewhere in the middle is probably a good place to compromise.

-awr