E2e/Turbo mod with 5W Luxeon

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Just got back home and a 5W portable white Luxeon was waiting for me. I had a turbo/E2e already so in no time:

E2E-turbo.jpg

MORE INFO

I spoke with my Future Rep while on the road and she confirmed that the LEDs I received were of the portable clasification and that it was OK to disclose the use and results of these.

The color of the LED is white to my eyes. Not greenish nor bluish. I posted a beam shot on the web page (more info) compared to a P60 LA. This turbo is not as bright as the cyan turbos I have made but it is white! The LED is being driven at 700 mA. Originally I had set the driver at 800 mA but decided to honor the spec. My next mod will be with a smaller reflector to see if I can't come up with more of a pocket flashlight. My express grattitude to Wayne Yamaguchi (Dat2zip) as without his magic inside, this would never have been possible. Of course if I weren't so impatient and didn't enjoy working with my hands, I could wait for SureFire to do it right; with the reflector, mass and surface area designed specifically for the Luxeon.
grin.gif

- Don

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Not as bright?
Since yooz the first.
I nominate Gizmo for guinea pig of the week.
grin.gif

Slam that puppy with 9 volts!!!
Just kiddin.
I'm jealous....Nice mod

Did you have that ribbed (finned) sink made, or is that available?

I won't be to far behind your mod. I purchased a couple dem varments this past friday. This is gonna be fun. My first mod ever, and with a 5 watter. Youzer!!

Have ya taken yer new friend out for a walk yet?
Any news on heat output? Is it different than the cyan (heatwise)?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PI_314,

Yeah, I took it for a walk and we were both happy.
smile.gif
I turned the finned adapter as wel as the threaded LED pedestal/ module. I also turned down the rear end of the turbo head. The turbo, LA and power pak all have male 13/16"X20 threads and the finned adapter has a female 13/16"X20 thread. I used Arctic Silver grease on the threads and mating faces to aid in thermal passage. The whole flashlight warms up after a while but I haven't had it on for more than 5 minutes continious and at that point it isn't cold but not really that warm either. At 700 mA, the light throws very well in my opinnion and I see no need to overdrive it.

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by grift:
i just wish you had the equipment to do small runs of your creations
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, me too, and the time! A few of us are working on a couple of parts that will be made available to CPF in the not to distant future.

- Don

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Gizmo

Curious
How cheap can one get, and still have a lathe that puts out quality. I've always wanted a lathe, but was always afraid to ask what they cost.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PI_314,

I use an old Crafstman 9" lathe (made by Atlas) that I got used for $1000. I have more than that now in quick change tool holders and carbide inserts but there are some deals to be had if you are in the right place at the right time. There are also some new import lathes that can give you a lot of bang for your buck. There are some older threads here on CPF on lathes.

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ahah! I always wondered who would be first!!! Beautiful, simply beautiful...

MicroE

Enlightened
McGizmo----VERY nice.
I was happy with my 5W cyan in a 2D mag (finished just 10 hours ago) and now you show me this? Man, you guys are always upping the ante!
Did you turn the threads on the lathe our use a tap and die set?
BTW, last night I learned that you can overdrive a 5W cyan to 8 Watts (for a while, at least). If you are so inclined, you can probably pump up the volume on your mod. Lifetime will, of course, take a dive.
---Marc

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Guys!

MicroE,

I have a tap for 13/16"x20 and use this whenever possible for female threads. I single point cut the male threads on the lathe.

DougS,

Whenever I see you have posted, I anticipate a knuckle rapping
grin.gif
Thanks for the kind words.

BTW, I may not be the first of the CPF modders to work with the white 5W, I don't know. It may be that I'm the first who was not held back by the NDA stipulation inserted into the waiver agreement when the LED's were determined to be of a 500 hour expectancy. Although assured on the phone by my Future rep that with the reclassification to "portable" LED's that the NDA did not apply, others have not received this message. Hopefully this will all be straigntened out soon!

- Don

r2

Enlightened
Could you do a similar mod with a normal E2e head (or at least something that size) instead of the turbo head? I'm glad to hear that heat isn't as big a problem as expected--I'd love to see a pocketable 5W LS light. An E2e would be a great form factor for it.

- Russ

McGizmo

Flashaholic
R2,

I do want to check out the viability of using either the P60 reflector (E2 Bezel) or even the reflector in the Ex bezel. Unless the LED is underdriven, these Bezels will likely not support the thermal requirements of the LED. Judging from SureFire's KL1 and KL3, It is clear to me that 5 watts of power needs more mass and surface area than the Ex bezel will afford or even the C2 for that matter. I think the KL3 is begging for a 5W on the other hand
grin.gif

- Don

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by McGizmo:

DougS,

Whenever I see you have posted, I anticipate a knuckle rapping
grin.gif
Thanks for the kind words.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, I'm not that bad! I prefer to think of it as "free exchanges of knowledge/ideas" rather than "knuckle rapping".
wink.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That poor evergreen next door must be scorched shining that light on it.
smile.gif

Wayne

r2

Enlightened
Does anyone know how the switch on the A2 is set up? Here's my dream light (okay, one of them anyway):

E2e with a 5W LS and a dual function switch like the A2. In the low power mode, it runs at about 1W (like the KL1) and in high mode it runs at the full 700ma. If it can't run for long at full current, that would be fine. Add a heat sensor so that it will drop into low mode automatically if it is overheating. I really only need the high power for occasional use anyway. I'd love to have both modes in a single, pocketable light.

Anyone know if the A2's regulator is built into the switch, and if not, how the switch and the head assembly communicate?

- Russ