overheat protection for ROP/MAg85

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
IS there any? I want to make one but the biggest deterrant for me at this point is the fear of making one and having it turn on in a backpack or something and start a fire. Is there a way (short of removing the batteried) to ensure its not gonna accidentally turn on, or at least automatically turn off before burning up anything?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all your really after is a failsafe way of packing a loaded ROP/Mag85 into a backpack without worrying about it turning on accidentally then why not slip the flashlight's battery tube into a hard plastic pipe that has a diameter that's just ever so slightly larger than the battery tube?
To prevent the plastic pipe from sliding off the battery tube you could cross cut four slits into the bottom half of the plastic pipe and use one or two of those thick rubber bands (the kind used for clamping lobster claws or bunches of broccoli together) to squeeze the pipe down onto the knurling of the battery tube. No fuss, no muss.

Delvance

Enlightened
Well, whenever i carry my ROP or RS623 around in a backpack...i unscrew the tailcap a turn or two. Sort of like using SF's lockout tailcap feature. I then test the light won't fire, even if there is pressure pushing the tailcap inwards of the light.As to it automatically turn off before it burns anything...not really...i suppose you could build it with one of the regulator kits available on CPF like the HD or PIR1 and set the shutdown temp point at something that the light would reach in 1 minute on time...but that'll only be good if you know you won't need the light for more than 1 minute, ever =/

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Delvance said:
Well, whenever i carry my ROP or RS623 around in a backpack...i unscrew the tailcap a turn or two. Sort of like using SF's lockout tailcap feature. I then test the light won't fire, even if there is pressure pushing the tailcap inwards of the light.
Your battery setup must be much different from the standard 9AA in a carrier one used in the Mag85. I just tested this idea on mine, the light did not turn off until the end cap popped completely off (and sparked). As long as the cap maintained any contact with the body it ran just fine.

Do your lights require some shortening of the spring? My spring is stock and is long enough that it must be compressed before the cap will make contact.
(BTW, nice avatar, Delvance)

My only suggestion for disabling the Mag85 for transport is to remove the spring from the tail. I can't think of any simple safety mechanism that would allow it to remain immediately useable.

Delvance

Enlightened
SaturnNyne,

Hrmm that's weird. I just tried the unscrew tailcap thing with my 2D ROP which has the stock tube, tailcap, spring and a modamag 6aa to 2D carrier. It turned the light off after the slightest twist of the tailcap.

As i understand it, the area completing the circuit in regards to the tailcap and body is the end of the body (where there is no anodising) and the area that flares out after the tailcap thread ends (there is also no anodising here, and there are uniform grooves cut around the circumference). If the un-anodised part of the tailcap is not touching the un-anodised end of the tube...the circuit is not closed and the lamp will not fire regardless of the switch being on or off. Anodising is a very poor conductor of electricity iirc.

The threads on all my Maglites are anodised (both tailcap and body). Perhaps i got different ones to you ? I did buy the host in Australia if that makes any difference o.0

And thankyou (re. avatar :grin2: )

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
How odd. I just examined the threads on mine and it looks to me like if they were ever anodized it's all been worn away, though I'm no expert. The edges of the threads look a little more matte and rough while the actual grooves are shiny and smooth. I'd be surprised if it were an issue of wear though, I bought it new for this mod about four months ago and have not used it heavily.

I experimented with touching the spring to the end of the carrier and just one edge of the caps beginning thread area (on the opposite side of the threads from the flared section) to the edge of the body. Depending, I guess, on the exact spot touching and the solidity of the contact it either sizzled and shot a spark at me or lit up normally. So my light can work fine with the cap almost entirely outside of the body.

I also use a modamag carrier, though my light is a 3D. I doubt the difference in model or location could account for their difference in behavior, unless the 2D just doesn't pack its batteries as tightly and the spring is actually breaking contact with the carrier in yours. My spring requires a solid push when putting the cap back on, does yours also maintain full contact until after the cap has been removed? I hope some mag expert can offer us some insight into this curious matter.
Delvance said:
SaturnNyne,

Hrmm that's weird. I just tried the unscrew tailcap thing with my 2D ROP which has the stock tube, tailcap, spring and a modamag 6aa to 2D carrier. It turned the light off after the slightest twist of the tailcap.

As i understand it, the area completing the circuit in regards to the tailcap and body is the end of the body (where there is no anodising) and the area that flares out after the tailcap thread ends (there is also no anodising here, and there are uniform grooves cut around the circumference). If the un-anodised part of the tailcap is not touching the un-anodised end of the tube...the circuit is not closed and the lamp will not fire regardless of the switch being on or off. Anodising is a very poor conductor of electricity iirc.

The threads on all my Maglites are anodised (both tailcap and body). Perhaps i got different ones to you ? I did buy the host in Australia if that makes any difference o.0

And thankyou (re. avatar :grin2: )

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
I can not believe what happened yesterday afternoon.
I was hurriedly getting ready to go somewhere, threw my Mag85 in a bag with my Leatherman and some other things, had a kettle of water on for the tea I was taking with me, and I was tending to something else when, after 5-10 minutes, I smell something... like food burning. Rush to the kitchen, turn off stove, rush back to my room to continue getting ready... but the smell is stronger in my room than in the kitchen. Look down on my bed, there is a plume of smoke rising from my bag. When I tossed my Leatherman in, it must have landed right on the switch. I immediately remembered this thread, realized this situation was both frightening and hilarious in its timing, grabbed the mag and shut it down, emptied the bag, and took it to the kitchen to stick under the tap. Up until I hit it with the water, there was an oblong spot about 3/4" long glowing orange like the end of a cigarette lighter for about 20 seconds.

Incredible timing. After all the times I've tossed it in a bag with no concern, its the day after I get into a discussion about locking them out that I get "burned." Before re-gathering my things, I removed the tail spring for safety, just as I'd suggested less than a day before.... Yeah, felt pretty dumb.

Here's a photo of the hole left in my heavy canvas bag
mag85.jpg