Need help calling England from USA...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to call my friend in England with my verizon cell phone. I set up international calling earlier and was able to make a call, so I think it works. Anyway, when I call England, I get "cannot complete this call", so I'm getting frustrated.

I keep dialing 011 for international, then the phone number listed.
I'm trying to call Nottingham, and it may have a city code, too. I googled it and got 602.

I must be missing something really simple. Verizon CS wasn't too helpful, they just told me to dial 011.

TIA

leduk

Enlightened
Nottingham used to have the dialling code 0602.
All the codes changed and Nottingham ended up with 0115.
All the numbers after the dialling code will have seven numbers.
Loose the 0 from 0115 when international dialling.

So from the US +44 115 986 ???? would do it. +is your international dial out code 44 for the UK. the 986 is just an example.

If your number is something like 0602 86 ???? then its really old.
Some of the numbers had a 9 inserted to make them all longer.

Cheers.

leduk

Enlightened
Aha,

01623 seems to have only 6 digits after the code.
Loose the first 0.

International dialling code followed by 44 1623 86? ???

Cheers.

If that doesn't work try the US embassy London to check you can dial internationally.
24 Grosvenor Square,London, W1A 1AE

Switchboard: [44] (0)20 7499-9000 (ignore the 0 in brackets)

Last edited:

leduk

Enlightened
btw.

International dialling codes very from country to country. 00 is the access code from the UK. These also can vary in hotels and from different switchboards. I'd ask your operator or check your phone book.

01623 is north Nottinghamshire and googling the number gives Ice cream, yum.

Nottingham is a different basket of lace altogether.

Cheers

leduk

Enlightened
Cellphone!

You might try +44 for the UK.

In Europe you can use "+" which is country independent so whatever country you're in your phone knows you want an international number.

44 for the UK.

The number would be "+44 1623 86? ???" no leading zeros and dont forget the "+".

Cheers.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "+" is an access designation in print.
From the U.S. try dialing 011 44 1623 862 632 (from any phone with international dialing access.)

Don't know why you want to call from a cell phone, international rates can be pretty high, it's not like the free long distance that you get within the continental US. It's probably cheaper to call from a wired phone.

greenlight said:
where is the + on the phone?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
where is the + on the phone?

On many phones you have to hold down the 0 (zero) key for a few seconds to get the "+"

PS. Probably not a good idea to post your friends FULL phone number on an open forum

Perhaps replace some of the last digits with ***'s and ask that those members that have quoted the number kindly do the same.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was able to make one call successfully. I dialed this number and it went through
011-44-0115 846 7777

every other number I try to dial however cannot be completed as dialed. I tried to dial 011-44-01636 610 141.

almost every other number I dial does'nt work either.

Could I please have a little more help?

Monolith

Enlightened
Try:
011 44 1623 862 632

EDIT: sorry repeat post.

greenlight said:
i was able to make one call successfully. I dialed this number and it went through
011-44-0115 846 7777

every other number I try to dial however cannot be completed as dialed. I tried to dial 011-44-01636 610 141.

almost every other number I dial does'nt work either.

Could I please have a little more help?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. I am getting somewhere, I was able to make the above call. It only has six digits. Other numbers have more digits and I cannot get through.

I am trying to call my friend 011 44 58331xxx in Nottingham but I cannot get through.

Monolith

Enlightened
Try:
011 44 1158 331 xxx

greenlight said:
Ok. I am getting somewhere, I was able to make the above call. It only has six digits. Other numbers have more digits and I cannot get through.

I am trying to call my friend 011 44 58331xxx in Nottingham but I cannot get through.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
But still, every other number I try to dial doesn't go thru.\
I can't begin to figure out the numbering system for England.
I'd like to be able to call places easily without having to ask here for the correct string of numbers to enter.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to confirm that you have the correct number to begin with. Some of those numbers looked a bit short. Telephone numbers in Europe are generally 7-8 numbers. For the city code in a European number, if you receive a city code that starts with a leading zero, disregard the zero.

i.e. if someone gives you a phone number of say +353 01 5555 123

The + indicates that you should dial your long distance access
The 353 would be the country code (Ireland)
The 01 would be the city code (Dublin)
The telephone number would be 5555 123

To dial it from a US phone, you would dial

011 353 1 5555 123

If you're calling a cell phone in Europe, you'll probably get a city code that does not match the city that your party resides in, but rather the carrier's access code. For those numbers, you will pay a surcharge for calling a mobile phone, since mobile subscribers in Europe do not pay for incoming calls.

greenlight said:
But still, every other number I try to dial doesn't go thru.\
I can't begin to figure out the numbering system for England.
I'd like to be able to call places easily without having to ask here for the correct string of numbers to enter.