P91 Lamp with two RCR2 cells works!

thwang99

Newly Enlightened
I tried using a Fenix L1P body, and put a surefire P91 lamp assembly on it. Put two RCR2 cells in it, it works!!!

Very very bright, but gets hot fast since LA has no heatsinking. Now if someone made a head for the L1P that fits a Surefire P91 (maybe a P90 would be a better choice), you'd have a VERY VERY small powerful incandescant.

I think it might not be safe, though? I don't know much about batteries or electronics.

- Tony

UWAK

Enlightened
Hello Tony, forget the body you used for the test. I want to know what mAH on your RCR2? Anyone can explain this try out? I wanna try to put P91 in 6P using 2xRCR123 1000mAH.

Frids

Delvance

Enlightened
Straight from Rikvee's thread on current drawn by various bulbs
The P91 LA draws 2.46A (2.7A on 2 Li-Ions)

Little tiny RCR2 cells probably have a max of 300mAh say. That means you're discharging those cells at over 8C easy...not safe at all. Please be careful.

UWAK

Enlightened
You're quite right Delvance. I don't wanna f**k with those lithium chemistry. I think I will stick to use 6P+A19+P91+2x17500, and get those bright light around 20 minutes or so. Thx.

Frids

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
P91 and 2 x 17500's?

I think they are 1100mah arnt they ( and thats probable a little overated) so if "The P91 LA draws 2.46A (2.7A on 2 Li-Ions)"

Then these are still over 2 times the current draw on these. Especially if its 2.7A on Lions.

I thought anything over two times the current draw ( 2C ) was concidered pushing the cells. Is this not the case?

I tested a P91 on 2 x RCR123's. It drew 2.5A and concidering they say 800mah on them, but from what I read they arn't that, probably 650 - 700 true mah, I am not going to risk it on them, as thats over 3 times the current draw, let alone RCR2 at 8 times. Its not safe.

BTW dont take this the wrong way. Keep tying new Ideas dude, , If we never tried new combo's we would still be in the dark. :)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those poor rechargeable 123's are not going to last very long or worse...

You're better off using 17670's like Powernoodle or best yet, 18650's.

Last edited:

thwang99

Newly Enlightened
Thx all! Ok so it's too good to be true, a AA sized P91 scorcher is a pipe dream (at least for now).

- Tony

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
powernoodle said:
What about a P91 on 2xPila168S? I've been using this setup for a while.
Would this be similar to my p91 set up 2x
Wolf Eyes 150b's instant light, almost white bright, little heat, no click priming?
not like AW's new 17500' which needs 1 click to work.:sssh:

Last edited:

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
Raoul_Duke said:
I thought the new 17500 were supposed to light the P91 with no double clicking?
Thats what I thought too, thats why I got
AW's 17500 the new ones , my first rechargeables were the WE ones
which I got for the D26. at that time I tried the p91 with them it lit up instantly but they were dim. The p91 I had was defective. after getting a new one I tried it with the new 17500..yea a one click pony.. it was just by accident that I found out
that WE's 150b's lit the p91 instanly almost white bright with less heat. Brighter than primary's IMHO. Now Im happy.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Jvalera said:
Thats what I thought too, thats why I got
AW's 17500 the new ones , my first rechargeables were the WE ones
which I got for the D26. at that time I tried the p91 with them it lit up instantly but they were dim. The p91 I had was defective. after getting a new one I tried it with the new 17500..yea a one click pony.. it was just by accident that I found out
that WE's 150b's lit the p91 instanly almost white bright with less heat. Brighter than primary's IMHO. Now Im happy.

So are you saying that both types of cells work with the new P91, but the We are better.

Sorry I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you meant.

I've just been having another conversation with somebody else on another forum, he is having trouble lighting a P91 with a single click with "new" AW 17670's

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
Raoul_Duke said:
So are you saying that both types of cells work with the new P91, but the We are better.

Sorry I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you meant.

I've just been having another conversation with somebody else on another forum, he is having trouble lighting a P91 with a single click with "new" AW 17670's
I apologize for my vagueness. Yes, both brands work, AW's 17500 requires 1 click priming and WE' 150b' dont. I find it anoying
having to press the switch twice. I also have AW's new 17670's. I just tested them in a
9p with a 1 cell extender and the p91 lights up instantly.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Cheers mate that makes more sense.

I'm a bit on the fence with double clicking. It certanly stops unintentional activation, but if you need your light to perform, its a touch annoying.

Still its better than not working at all. :)

mdocod

Flashaholic
AWs 17670s will light the P91 without any "priming" for the majority of the charge.. (the last 5 minuts of runtime requires a priming tap to get it going)...

Personally... I consider 17670 to be the smallest safe size for use with P91 power hog.

NAW

Enlightened
Jvalera said:
AW's 17500 requires 1 click priming and WE' 150b' dont

What does the new AW 17500 cells look like? For me it takes 2-5 clicks(depending on the state of charge for the battery) with my Aw17500 cells.

So the Wolf Eyes 150B light up with 1-2 clicks even if the batteries are nearly depleted?

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
NAW said:
What does the new AW 17500 cells look like? For me it takes 2-5 clicks(depending on the state of charge for the battery) with my Aw17500 cells.

So the Wolf Eyes 150B light up with 1-2 clicks even if the batteries are nearly depleted?
Lighthound has pictures of the new AW's.17500s
The wolf Eyes light up instantly and brightly. I dont let any
of my lights go nearly depleted so pardon me since I cant answer your second question.

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
Those Wolf Eyes 150B are protected right?

Do you know if they can be charged with the DSD charger?

-Thanks

Bryan

Enlightened
NAW said:
Do you know if they can be charged with the DSD charger?

-Thanks

ttt

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I'd hate to have to buy another charger if I don't have to.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Out of curiosity, several years ago I touched a P90 LA to a 9V Alkaline and it lit satisfactorily. I haven't a clue how one would stand up to a P91! If runtime be truely damned, it could make a pretty small "package!" :D

Larry