Resolved! SL BatonLite has me annoyed

dental4usa

Newly Enlightened
I finally got this thing - great price. Just like 2-3 weeks ago. Put the batteries in it, worked fine. Haven't turned it on since. I'm in Phoenix, where the serial killer is running wild at the moment. A little light, a little protection ..

Today, I tried to show it off to my Dad. Do you think it turned on?

And how do you think I felt when he said, "Maybe it needs a new bulb."

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

No, Dad. It uses LEDs. I will never have to replace them... unless I WANT to.

Has anyone else had the problem with the batteries in the BatonLite like this?

I suppose the kids could have played with it, but I never caught them if they did ..
sigh.gif

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SL BatonLite has me annoyed

change to a set of new batts . if it lights up, that means something is closing the circuit EVEN when the light is off and drained the batts to death.

dental4usa

Newly Enlightened

Ok, cool. I will try that. I'll have to get some spares - I should have done that in the first place anyway.

I'm thinking I may need to add a backup EDC though. Cheap, but cool. I think the cree will have to wait a little while yet.

dw51

Enlightened

I've had a batonlite for a few years now, but haven't used it in a while. I used to have a similar problem. If I recall, I cleaned the contacts on the LEDs themselves and it worked fine for a while. You might give that a try. They should screw out. I'll have to find mine and take a look to make sure that's what I did. Good luck.

BTW, If you are wanting it for the baton (ie Kubaton) function and not so much the light, you may look at the small batons from ASP that contain pepper spray. They seem to be a better combo than the marginal light on the Batonlite. Just my opinion.

dental4usa

Newly Enlightened
Re: SL BatonLite has me annoyed - Resolved!

Well, I figured it out. The kids played with it when I wasn't watching, and turned over the top battery, so the circuit was not being completed. Sheesh!!

So I now have 2 sets of spare N cells since I figured I'd swap out the batteries - they work, by the way. That's when I decided to put the original ones back in, and lo and behold ... :ohgeez:

So BatonLite, I love you again!!

Now I just need to find a small spare battery holder for the N cells. I figure I will keep 3 on me, in my fanny pack, and the other 3 somewhere else. Any ideas on where I might find that?

Oh, and thanks for the input about the kubotan aspect of this light. That is one reason I wanted it - for a double whammy, so to speak! I figure no one will be able to be mad about a legitimate flashlight - and I can use it to defend myself, too!

I would love to have one of the combo units with the pepper spray, but when my oldest was 3, he found my pepper spray - I don't know how, it was up high .. sigh. Anyway, he proceeded to fight a dragon on the closed door to the laundry room. I called poison control and he and I spent about a half hour in the shower. Fortunately, he didn't get any in his eyes and did not receive any burns or anything. Now he is about to turn 8 and his little brother will be 5 a week before Christmas .. I'm going to hold off on the pepper spray a bit longer!

I have a ninja spike that is in my back pocket, usually only if I'm out after dark, otherwise it's in my fanny pack. The BatonLite has a permanent home on the keyring, which is actually attached to a caribiner, so if anything happens, I can slip the BatonLite off the caribiner and go to town!

I really appreciate the input though - I love CPF!!!

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL...hahaha...

things you can nvr imagine alway happens huh?

WHAT the hell? a ninja spike?!

dental4usa

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, a ninja spike .. Just a slightly pointed kubotan with 2 spikes coming off of it. You hold it so the spikes go between your fingers. Benefits of the kubotan, plus I can punch and hurt someone enough to get away. Figured that would cover all my bases.

Kids know not to mess with it, and I've had it about a year and a half, so it's cool. My almost 8 year old started Tae Kwon Do last fall and did really well. I learned everything with him so I could help him better at home. I really want to do karate or TKD on my own if I can find a class in the morning somewhere after school starts. Otherwise, I'm just trying to keep us safe.

I got nervous a little over 1 1/2 years ago when I was out a lot at night (kids home asleep) because my Dad was diagnosed with cancer and I was running him to the ER, visiting him in the hospital, etc. I saw a couple of guys parked in a car, just watching, and I had to get out to go inside the hospital. I kept them in the corner of my eye, ready to run, but that scared me a little. It was about 1:30 am at the time. That's when I decided that I needed something simple to use if I needed to.