The Mini LGI is Born...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
With the encouragement and enthusiasm of a couple of fellow Hawaii CPF'ers who kindly visited my humble abode tonight (Hi Darryl, and Welcome Bob!), I was finally able to stitch together the little NoviGear light and emplaced a premium 1-watt Luxeon in its tiny confines using a new high-tech heatsink kindly provided by a major flashlight manufacturer (Thanks Paul!). In this first shot you can see the little triple AAA battery holder:

fce6c7d1.jpg

Of course as usual, I now had to put it up against something known. But using three AAAs with their attenuate higher internal resistance which would allow significantly less current, I did not expect the Mini LGI to achieve genuine LGI brightness. But even so, if it performed decently it might just be a winner due to its diminutive dimensions:

fce6c7d3.jpg

Incidentally, the standard length LGI on the left is (was?) MR Bulk's personal keeper. The absolute brightest AA-driven 1-watt Luxeon flashlight I had ever made (or heard of, for that matter) until the LGI-LEs that were just created this week when I lucked into a very tiny number of simply incredible batwings.

Anyway back to the Mini LGI. There was no bulb socket nor positive/negative leads to take power from since the battery carrier already provided that function, delivering the juice out of an anodic spring right at the tip. So there was some engineering to be figured out (and it quickly dawned on me during this figuring out process why them engineers have to go to school so long and get paid all the big bucks), which was accomplished not without some scratchy notes on a spiral pad just to keep track of exactly what it was I decided I had already figured out:

fce6c7d2.jpg

It was pretty touch-and-go for a while trying to wedge that high-tech heatsink into the head and getting it pounded down to the exact bottom so it would lie truly flat, all the while asking myself why Arctic Silver had to cure so fast and be so messy:

fce6c7d0.jpg

But in the end I realized that true happiness is a perfectly centered Luxeon:

fce6c7ce.jpg

Here are the beamshots in the same order as how the lights were shown above, this one from three feet:

fce6c7d6.jpg

and this one from about 25 feet down and angled back from my sloped ceiling:

fce6c7d5.jpg

So by all indications the sleek and smooth little Mini LGI was holding its own, even against my personal LGI keeper. But the acid test was against the LM-631 LightMan taken from one meter away:

688 lux...

I must make more of these. They will be a huge hit due to their perfect pocket/purse EDC size. But only if I can find the donors at a better price...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice!

Stubby is alive and bright, and shows no external signs of what was done to it. Must be the shortest 3 cell light in existence with that kind of output. And at least now you can prove it really is a flashlight by demonstrating it does light up........

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice!! Are there anymore details available on the "high-tech heatsink" material?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlie,

Wayne would have given you another
icon14.gif
if you had replaced one of the batteries with a dummy cell and a BB400
grin.gif
Of cource it wouldn't be as bright but .......... Hummmm, I wonder if two AAA's would have enough butt to drive a BB400?

How's the switch?

- Don

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
great job
soo, when are you going to sell it and how much?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Kevin,

Thanks, I would first cover the exterior with some sort of grippy coating if the light were ever used for "another" purpose, as it would get too...slick?

WB and Zeph - thanks.

Roy, lemme think on it, need to figger how much time it took me (and it took me a loooooong time, I tell ya).

Slick - you'll have to e-mail me, otherwise I'd have to kill everyone on this Forum!

Wayne - only four outta five? I demand to know the meaning of this!!!

Don - Oh, now I get it. Its all about the boards, eh??? But you're right, mebbe the two AAAs might do something interesting in concert with the BB. Have you or Wayne tried anything like that yet? Perhaps I need to volunteer?

Shiftd - Hmmm, I dunno. Need to find donors first -- and they gotta be CHEAP like how I got those Legend 3AAs at wholesale. Otherwise these Minis would all have to be $75+ mods...

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling it would be much better if it's 3AAs in that similar pyramid configuration. There was a light some time back using that configuration if I didn't remember wrongly. Was something like a blue casing and a bad LS.

Wylie

Enlightened
My compliments to the chef,
You have cooked up an aesthetically endearing bright shining star showcasing your manipulative mastery.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I sure wish those people over at Novigear would get it together and waterproof that package somehow. A bit of a reduction in price wouldn't hurt sales either I would figure.

Are you going to do any testing on this little gem for us out here in the wings?

Nice Work Mr. Bulk,
Wylie

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wylie -- Thanks. But testing? What testing? Thought I pretty much covered it in the text...

Nerd, witht eh Luxeon I put in there, it would have shot over 900 lux with 3AAs. But I know of no light like that, with three AAs in that triangular configuration.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
BTW just tested it, pulling about 800Mah with lightly used batts. Given that the regular LGIs with thre AAs go up to and over 1.5A and have held up just fine, I see no problem with 3AAAs. This light should last forever...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by cableguy:
I want one! you know where to reach me if you decide to make some. Charlie, you make the coolest toys!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That goes for me too, Charlie.
icon14.gif