New KL5 = Donut hole?

xdanx

Enlightened
Do the newest generation L5's have donut holes? A local dealer is ordering one for me and I am a little concerned after reading about someone's L5 having a horrible donut hole. Thanks for the info.

ericg533

Newly Enlightened
I have heard that all 5W luxeons have donut holes. It's not something I would worry about and it shouldn't be noticeable unless you're wall hunting.

xdanx

Enlightened
nc987 said:
This question is absolutely impossible to answer.

Well thats kind of negative. Say somebody just got a new L5, and it doesn't have a problem. Then that answers my question.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
I recently got one and I hate to admit it, but I'm a white-wall hunter. I noticed a really, really small "donut" different from others I've seen. It's located in the center of the hotspot. It is much smaller than the donut on my older L2 and I consider the donut on my L2 to be very light. I really don't notice the KL5 donut unless I look for it on the wall. It also only appears within a certain range (I'd estimate 7-20 feet.) It is the perfect compromise between the KL4 and KL3 that I also picked up. Great throw with a nice flood.

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
xdanx said:
Thanks Virgo

No problem, hope that helped a little. I neglected to mention that the tint is excellent (none that I can see). I run mine off a C2. I noticed that it never got as hot as my KL4, but did get warm. I'm sure the larger size helps in that area. There is quite a bit more reflector also, which I would guess aids in the throw. Mine's pretty new, as I've had it for less than a week and the dealer I buy from special-ordered it for me from Surefire. I'm not sure if its boost only or buck/boost and I mention it because I've seen some recent discussion on the subject in some other threads.

Cheers,
V

Last edited: