New Mod Suggestion!!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,

I recently converted one of my Minimags with an Opalec Newbeam and I was floored!!! Excellent mod, and totally breathed life back into that light.

I would now like to go with a LS mod and was interested in either one of the Badboy mods or a MadMax.

Basically, I want a really bright light, and am not too concerned about runtime, since I'll be using NiMH batteries (free power). But, I've really gotten spoiled by some of the regulated lights out there. So I would like to have pretty much the same output over the life of the batteries, even if it is at the expense of some output.

So I'm basically I'm a bit confused which of these three lights will fit my requirements best?

Costant brightness, don't care about runtime very much, what would be my best bet???

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by MSaxatilus:
Guys,
I would now like to go with a LS mod and was interested in either one of the Badboy mods or a MadMax.

Costant brightness, don't care about runtime very much, what would be my best bet???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Get either of the Badboys. The MadMax is brighter, but dims (some - not a lot) as the batteries drain. As the Luxeons vary in brightness, it is possible for a BB400 to be brighter than a BB500.

The Badboys give a constant light until the batteries are nearly discharged. Then they drop to a dim (moon) light for another hour or so before going dark. They go dark when the batteries drop to 1.7 volts.

I have the MadMax and like it very much. It dims a bit (50% or so) during the bright phase, then runs dimly for a long time (over 12 hours) and will drain the batteries down to around 0.5 volts if left on long enough. It is about the brightness of the PT Attitude when it first dims, and about as bright as a CMG Infinity after 8 hours. If you remove the batteries as soon as it dims, the voltage is around 2 volts.

Ron

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSax,
The difference is how many milliamps that the Luxeon is fed. The BB400 is fed 400mA and the BB500 is fed 500mA. Generally speaking, the BB500's are brighter but eat the batteries a little faster. (Like you care using NiMH) I would suggest using the Brinkmann Legend with the tail cap. The M*gs can be adapted using the Kroll tailswitch that dat2zip sells on his page. There is another tailswitch that Fry's sells, I think it is made of aluminum instead of plastic like the Kroll switch is. Another option for you to figure out.
BTW, I have a BB500 with Kroll tailswitch and it rocks!
smile.gif
Hope that helps.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
You like that and you'll love the BadBoy!

I just put a BadBoy 400mA in a MiniMag w/Kroll tailswitch and and glass lens.

Highly recommened.

Makes the Newbeam look pretty darn wimpy (although I love it too).

-john