What lights for a week-long canoe trip?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going on a long canoe trip in Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada. It will include several long days in very remote areas with portaging all my gear from river/lake to river or lake. This is my first real trip since getting all my "real" lights. I usually don't worry about this type of thing too much and my last real trip - 9 days backpacking on Mt Rainier in Washington State - I took only a Petzle Tikka as I only needed to cook & hang the food on the bear pole. But on this trip, we may have to find an unmarked campsite on the shore of a lake after dark, deal with animals, or signal each other across a lake.

I already plan on the following:
1) PT EOS modded with SV1H (was RWOH) Lux1 and 25 degree Carclo optic from Photonfanatic - awesome beam improvement for close-up work like cooking and setting up the tent.
2) SF A2 - incan beam to cut through fog, etc. Just a damn useful light.
3) LED Logic Striker VG - more throw for searching or signaling, strobe to spook animals, low levels, and luckily this has a nice WO or V1 bin color.
4) LRI Proton - Red for avoiding bugs when needed, infinite levels, backup strobe/flash. Great light IMHO.
5) Getting an SC3 spares carrier for a spare A2 bulb & batts, but that is all I want to get for now.
6) Coin cell backups of course.

From here it's open. Of the lights I have in my inventory (see sigline) What would have the most use not covered above? Or just as importantly, be fun to take along? I'd like to, and probably will take the HDS, and Jil Intelli or FireFly2. And I'm very tempted to take the ROP:drool:.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm jealous!

I would ditch the Stryker and the Proton. Or better yet loan them to your fellow adventurers to convert (or is it pervert) them and to haul them.

I think Cheapo had problems with his SC3, it leaked on him. Maybe lube the threads? My SC3s have developed star cracks on the domes.

I believe bringing extra batteries would be better than bring extra lights.

Give us an update when you get back Batman!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a good start.
We kayaked more than 1/2 way across Michigan about 10 years ago--it was a blast! We didn't have good lights at all, just minimags and a 6v camp lantern. It was difficult at to find a suitable shore site a few times when the sun set a bit faster than we expected (too busy enjoyong the trip!), due to our crappy lights.

I would consider anything from Princeton Tec, Pelican or UK to be a great choice.

I know that they are painfully simple, and some of them look kind of cheap and uninspiring...but, many of them are waterrpoof, reliable and...yup-inexpensive.

In no particular order, I think these make great camp/kayak lights:
Any good waterproof/resistant headlamp.
Tec 40, or UK4AA (whatever flavor you like: incan, LED, twisty or clicky).
Attitude.
Infinity Ultra, or other small water-resistant "wear around the neck at all times" light.
I would guess that any bright incan or LED with a switch would make a great signaler.

I believe a great thrower in both LED and incan are the Streamlight 4AA models. I hear they are very robust as well.
Are they water-resistant?

I would personally stick with UK and PT stuff, since they are designed to be around water.

Have fun!!!

Bob

Last edited:

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
But on this trip, we may have to find an unmarked campsite on the shore of a lake after dark, deal with animals, or signal each other across a lake.
[...]
And I'm very tempted to take the ROP.

Sounds like you might be on the water after sunset. In that case a powerful searchlight could come in handy. While certainly not needed for signaling it can help tremendously in spotting campsites or obstacles in the water, not to mention some unlikely incident like an overturned canoe.

I would definitely take the ROP along, knowing I might not need it, just because the regret for leaving it at home might be huge.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
how about having a green laser for signaling and of course just for fun. with green, you'll be able to see the beam and show a direct line (possibly for walking or night trips on the canoe) towards you and the other party across the lake. i guess red would work but not as well as green though.

your trip sounds fun. i've never done something like that before. the closes might be the trans can trail that might happen before school starts.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I'd think about those Inova X1's and the SL 1AA tasklight so that you have some low level long runtime lights you can keep on a lanyard around your neck. Nothing like having a light at hand when you need it out in the middle of nowhere that will provide useful light without blinding you. They are also lights which won't kill you if/when you lose one or it gets dropped in the water, etc...

Given the water based nature of your trip I'd probably avoid the more expensive lights like the HDS just in case the worst happens. not to mention plenty of solid paracord lanyards and berkley point clips to secure all of the above to your gear.

drmaxx

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
I already plan on the following:
1) PT EOS modded with SV1H (was RWOH) Lux1 and 25 degree Carclo optic from Photonfanatic - awesome beam improvement for close-up work like cooking and setting up the tent.
2) SF A2 - incan beam to cut through fog, etc. Just a damn useful light.
3) LED Logic Striker VG - more throw for searching or signaling, strobe to spook animals, low levels, and luckily this has a nice WO or V1 bin color.
4) LRI Proton - Red for avoiding bugs when needed, infinite levels, backup strobe/flash. Great light IMHO.
5) Getting an SC3 spares carrier for a spare A2 bulb & batts, but that is all I want to get for now.
6) Coin cell backups of course.

In your list you have 3 different type of batteries that you need to take along (4 if you include the coin cells). My own personal experience is, that you take about equal amount of spare batteries for all the lights along and then end up with using one of them 90% of the time. My guess is that in your case it will be the EOS :) .
So stack plenty of AAA or ... buy a new headlamp with a more matching fit of batteries. :naughty:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to everyone for the feedback! It's good to have some people of similar interests who really will consider the details of what lights to bring.

My intention here is to take what I have already since I want to enjoy them and I like what I have. Plus I really am trying to curb my spending and already trying to sell some of my more redundant lights.

I looked for a AA headlight a while ago, and was hoping to buy a 2AA or 4AA setup, but the PT EOS is so highly regarded and was on the REI sale for $18 with no shipping, so I had to get it. My Tikka lasted reading an entire novel and covering night cooking duties on one set of AAA lithiums for nine days, so one set of spares should be enough, especially since I've seen that the EOS low is enough for me to cook and read with, and I'll still use my flashlights for higher power duties (I still find it tremendously fun to whip one of the more exciting lights out). I will probably lend out the Tikka to consolidate AAA's within the group.

The extra AA lights like the Inova X1 and SL TL 1AA are good ideas for spare AA carriers. I was already trying to justify many "extra" lights by saying it was safest and not too much heavier to to carry extra batteries inside extra flashlights.:grin2: Failsafe!

My ROP Low is a Mag 2C 3xCR123 powered, so I'm still at three battery types plus coin cells, which others are already taking.

Sadly, though I know I'd enjoy a green lazer (or any laser), I don't plan to and can't, buy any more lights for this trip. Same for a spotlight, plus that a spotlight would be a lot of bulk that everyone would think was way overkill. So far my 2C Mag ROP is the biggest light I'll take.

I've debated the risk of taking my favorite lights because I'd hate to lose them, and this is a very valid part of the discussion. ...But I want to take them and enjoy them too...

YES, Lanyards all around! Clips for easy attachment to pack harnesses. I don't keep lanyards on them around the house, but for the trip, no light gets used on a boat or away from camp without a lanyard. I have long used them on my Digicams, so I am well used to it.

My hope is also to supply lights to others going to justify them ("because this one is better than yours, that's why you want to take mine") and be able to trade them back and forth to try them all and also spread the flashaholism.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I have done many a trip in Algonquin in the last twenty years. Campsites are well marked but I would strongly advise against being on the water after dark. You have to book each lake for each night you are out, at most you will be looking for an available site on a given lake. With a few exceptions ( Joe, Opeongo, Smoke & Canoe ) the lakes are fairly small. I find I am up with the sun and after a day on the water by dusk you will be beat and long since wishing you had made camp. In general look to make camp at around 1600 hrs and be back on the water the next morning by 0800 hrs.

A headlamp, will be of most use. Consider a small and light weight incan for spotting the trail to the "simple wooden privy" - A G2 or the like will work. Leave the ROP at home - not going to need it, carry a water filter instead. While Algonquin is the wilderness unless you travel deep into the northern section of the park it is not that isolated - sorry if that burst your bubble.

It is a good idea to standardize on a single battery size - look for a SL 2AA or the like for a spotting light. Use your headlamp most of the time. You will be amazed just how dark it is when you get away from city lights. Even the meager output of the A2 on low will really lightup and area when it is truely dark.

Go light ( pun intended ) with a common size battery to keep spares down. You will be surprized how little use the lights get - once it is dark you will be out like a light ( o.k. I will stop now ).

Waterboiler

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh, memories. I used to go solo canoe camping in the Adirondack Mtns. of NY back in the early 90's. I was always trying to get as far away from civilization as possible (Don't ask). Usually around Long Lake, Forked Lake and the Raquette River to the mouth of the Cold River. That's about as wild as it gets out here in the northeast till you get to Maine and the Alagash.

For lights, I had a 4D Mag, an AA Minimag, a "Bucklight" brand version of the UK 4AA and a little disposable incan. "squeeze light". Plus a full sized Coleman Propane mantle lantern. Geez.

Nowadays, I'd bring the EOS, the A2 (you're right, too damn useful to leave behind) and I'd get myself a River Rock LED lantern and bring back up batteries only for the A2. That lantern could be used as a safety beacon (360 deg.) if you do find yourself out on big water at night. Then it will sure come in handy while setting up camp after dark. The hands free usefulness of the EOS speaks for itself and by being stingy with the light levels I could make those batteries last and last. (Lithiums perhaps?) The A2 is your canoe sized spotlight and the one that stays in your hand around the campfire. I would not worry about extra batts for the lantern or EOS because if all I had was the A2 with the SC3, I'd be just fine. But that's just me... What, no ARC AAA-P ?

Cypher

Enlightened
I like to take as many of my lights as I can on my camping and canoeing trips but I find that I don't get to play with them as much as I'd like in order to make it worth packing them around the whole time.

I don't believe in keeping the expensive lights home. I bought them to use them and just keep them on a lanyard.

So with my new philosophy that fewer is better when you are carrying everything yourself and with careful consideration of my humble collection my selections would be HDS B42XRGT for general duties, Eos or Apex for hands free duties, and the TL-3 for longer range spotting.

A ROP would be cool but I don't have one.

I usually run rechargeables (R123s and 17500 for HDS and TL3)but could run primaries for the sake of battery similarity. That would leave me with only having to bring CR123s and either AA or AAA for the headlamp. I usually don't even bring spares for my headlamp. I make sure the cells (NiMh) are freshly charged and they run long enough that I don't worry about them.

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
In the thread "Otterbox vs Pelican Cases" there was this interesting post from kf4zht about using Pelican cases while on the water.

When going hiking/camping I usually have a set of 15xCR123 batteries in a Pelican 1010 case which I got from BatteryStation, but I have standardized on CR123s so you may want to check other options like the pick & pluck foam and create your own solution.

These or similar cases are available from a number of sources such as Lighthound, OpticsHQ, or a bunch of other places on the CPF Specials Page.

Note that BatteryStation and OpticsHQ have specials for CPF members, you may need to check the instructions on the specials page.

Have a great trip!

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a great trip, hope you enjoy it !

I was thinking about what one of the posters said about lights leaking and thought I would suggest you test your lights by soaking them in a bucket of water before you go so you know if there is a problem before the trip. just a thought.

Rando

Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
I've debated the risk of taking my favorite lights because I'd hate to lose them, and this is a very valid part of the discussion. ...But I want to take them and enjoy them too...

My view on this subject is that flashlights are tools. They're made to be used, and for the most part, they're replaceable. If you have any one-off custom lights that aren't replaceable, then that's another story. In the long run, it's just money and you'll make a lot more in your life. The important thing is to make sure that nobody gets hurt, and a light can go a long way towards safety.

nethiker

Enlightened
I think your Eternalight Ergo, with Lithium batteries would be a great boat light. I like things that float when I'm on the water.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun.

carpdiem

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat said:

I like your list, but I would leave these two at home in favor of the HDS.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
We spent a week In the BWCA earlier this summer and I have to say I am sold on the 4AA streamlights as camping lights. My son carried an older one that had the old style of cluster lamps and features the hundred hour run time... I had a new LED Luxeon that did very well, The added throw of the new style was nice.

We also use head lamps alot. I have a couple of older petzl AAA led lamps that really are out dated but still work, but at camp if you need it they are there on your hat and just a touch of the finger and you are ready.

BWCA in early july is not really a place to test head lamps, as it gets too dark to see about 10 45 pm and starts getting light by 4 am. For the most part we only used them two nights when fishing late and for privy trips.

I was more comfortable using the 4AA's as the risk of losing one was easier to take, (I bought my Luxeon at sportsmans warehouse for 22.95) verses dropping a tactical light in the drink. We are talking about going back in the first week of sept, If we do, that will be a better test of the 4AA's as then we will be wanting to be off the lakes by 5 pm as it can get cold up there fast.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garrity rubberized Tuff Light coupled with a PR based SMJLED. Waterproof.
The set-up can be had cheap. 2D or 2AA, you're choice. (The 2D version floats)
Runtime a plenty.

I took my dog out the other night with the 2D and SMJLED and got away from the light pollution of the street lights and houses into some real darkness in a wooded area. I was quite impressed with it's throw.

dfred

Enlightened
Sounds like you have your basic lighting needs under control. :) If you wanted to take another spare headlamp, the PT Apex on lithium batteries would be a good choice. Very bright for spotting, certified water resistance, and lots of flexibility for general use.

You might also want to consider getting a UCO candle lantern. They are good for lighting up a campsite/eating area without being so bright as to blind everyone and the spectrum is much more pleasant than any LED lantern. You do have to be very careful with them for in-tent use due to the fire/burn hazard. Each candle lasts about 9 hours, so you could probably get away with taking one candle for every 2-3 nights you expect to be out depending how long after dark you're likely to be awake. These lanterns are relabeled by a number of sellers (REI/EMS/etc.) but they'll have UCO info printed on the base if they're authentic and not cheap rip-offs.

And although it's not a lighting suggestion, consider getting one or more MSR Dromedary water bags especially if you're traveling with a large group. I've used a couple of the 10 liter bags for many years and taken them on a lot of canoe trips. Left in the bottom of the boat they stay nice and cool all day, even in direct sunlight. This works especially well in aluminum boats due to the good heat conduction to the water below, but even in Royalex canoes it stays reasonably cool as long as you're paddling in cold water. The bags are for water storage and transport only; people refill their water bottles from the bag. And here's another long-term review.

And finally, I recommend Song of the Paddle which is both a book and film by the noted canoist and filmmaker Bill Mason about wilderness canoe camping. Originally released in 1978, a lot of the camping tech in the film is pretty old school, but I believe the book was updated in the last few years. However it is a timeless classic, along with all of Mason's other educational and instructional films. Most of these are still available on DVD/VHS through the National Film Board of Canada.

Hope you have a great time!

Last edited: