Mod to a 2AA Reactor to make it hold 3AAs

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a 2AA reactor that I would like to make brighter, so I was thinking of putting 3AAs into it.

I have tried the AAA+2xN idea, and it worked OK, but:

1. It was a touch longer than 2AAs, and the switch became too sensetive, and
2. It turned on by itself, and I could not turn it off without undoing the end cap a turn. (Must have been thermal expansion in the batteries).

I tried hand-holding a third AA (with a return wire) to see how bright it would be, and it worked great.

Is there a ready made AA extender tube I could use, or any other ideas (I don't have a lathe...)

Thanks,

Abe.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Use 3 "N" batteries and make a spacer out of foil and tape. Does not last as long a 2xAA but is brighter!

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Roy,

I was trying to get away from N cells - too expensive for what they give...

Is there a lithium replacement that I could use ?

123 is wider than a AA, so maybe I could use a CR2 with an AA and a spacer ?

I wander if there would be correct load sharing ?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
There is a torchmodder on this forum who has CNC lathing equipment who could make you an extention tube... I've seen some of his work, but I cannot remember his name or screen name, but he made a really nice new metal body for his Mini Mitylite!
If you are that torchmodder, get in touch here!

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
There is a torchmodder on this forum who has CNC lathing equipment who could make you an extention tube... I've seen some of his work, but I cannot remember his name or screen name, but he made a really nice new metal body for his Mini Mitylite!
If you are that torchmodder, get in touch here!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think "CNC Dan" may be the member you have in mind.