Looking at a Mag 3D LED & Elektro Lumens 3P

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
Okay, so I need(well not need, but you guys know what I mean) a new light to keep in my truck. I'm looking for a good 2 or 3D LED light that's tough, bright with lots of throw, can run off of NiMh's , good run time, and priced no more than $80, although for the right light I can be bumped. I have a 2D Mag that I'm very happy with, but I like what I've read about the Blaster 3P. Are there any other lights that I should look at in addition to these? Help me spend some money!:devil:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm VERY happy with my 3D Mag with a Diamond/Terralux DB-3W drop-in--it's my best thow light. MUCH better than the Mag-brand LED. The DB-3W will only cost you $20 in addition to a standard Mag 3D.

You won't go wrong with the Elektro Lumens, but the Mag reflector will give you much more usable spill than a light with an optic like the Blaster.

Last edited:

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
NutSAK said:
I'm VERY happy with my 3D Mag with a Diamond/Terralux DB-3W drop-in--it's my best thow light. MUCH better than the Mag-brand LED. The DB-3W will only cost you $20 in addition to a standard Mag 3D.

You won't go wrong with the Elektro Lumens, but the Mag reflector will give you much more usable spill than a light with an optic like the Blaster.

You don't by chance have any beam shots of your 3D Mag, do you??? Sounds pretty interesting...

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
TxTroubleMaker said:
You don't by chance have any beam shots of your 3D Mag, do you??? Sounds pretty interesting...

Well, I have this one 1 meter away from the wall at tightest focus. I might also try to get some outdoor throw shots for you, and a shot of the Blaster optic like this one so you can compare. My Blaster 1R isn't nearly as bright as a 3P, but it will give you and idea of what the beam looks like.

Here's a great review of the DB-3W (check out the runtime graph!): http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm

BTW, I'm not trying to steer you away from the 3P, Wayne really makes some fantastic extremely well-engineered, durable lights.

172179693.jpg

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi,

I have the original 3D blaster, as well as a 3D cell MAGLED....

The Mag is far brighter, whiter, and throws extremely well. The beam is focusable and emits alot of light. The Blaster uses an optic to emit a faintly warm tinted beam with good flood.

If I were walking around my house or walking the dog at night, I'd probably take the Blaster......anything that required throw I'd use the Mag...

dragoman

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not going to modify the light, you'll probably get more output from the Mag, though in terms of cost it would be at least 50% more than the Blaster 3P. Insofar as NiMH batteries are concerned, you may want to think twice about that unless you already have the batteries. The amount of run time that you get from alkaline D batteries on the Mag LED is so long that it's going to take quite a bit of use just to break even, and the level of maintainance would be increased as you would have to periodically recharge the NiMH batteries whether you used them or not. The good news is that you can probably get the 3D Mag for about $35 or less and the Blaster 3P is only $20. So you'll be well under your $80 budget unless you also get NiMH batteries and a charger.

TxTroubleMaker said:
Okay, so I need(well not need, but you guys know what I mean) a new light to keep in my truck. I'm looking for a good 2 or 3D LED light that's tough, bright with lots of throw, can run off of NiMh's , good run time, and priced no more than $80, although for the right light I can be bumped. I have a 2D Mag that I'm very happy with, but I like what I've read about the Blaster 3P. Are there any other lights that I should look at in addition to these? Help me spend some money!:devil:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Brighteyez said:
The good news is that you can probably get the 3D Mag for about $35 or less and the Blaster 3P is only $20. So you'll be well under your $80 budget unless you also get NiMH batteries and a charger.

I'll take a Blaster 3P @ $20 just checked Electrolumins site still listed @ $49.99
Are you thinking of the Blaster 1R? it's $19.99 a great light for the price.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops! Sorry 'bout that. Yes, I was indeed thinking of the 1R. I guess senility is taking it's toll. The output from the 3P would most likely be closer to that of the Mag LED, albeit at a somewhat higher price point.

Norm said:
I'll take a Blaster 3P @ $20 just checked Electrolumins site still listed @ $49.99
Are you thinking of the Blaster 1R? it's $19.99 a great light for the price.