The Mystery Spot?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, been there when I was eight, and 48--probably nothing much has changed in that time (other than parking and store). Fun if you have kids that are interested in science/engineering and want to try and figure out how the exhibits/illusions work.

If you are into Steam Trains, go to Roaring Camp (a couple trains also go to Santa Cruz Beach/Boardwalk).

www.roaringcamp.com

Also, today, tomorrow and next Monday / Tuesday (August 28th/29th), the Santa Cruz Boardwalk is having a "ride sale" after 5pm... $0.65 for any ride (typically $3-$4) and cheap $0.65 hotdogs (called 1907 nights). Best cheap deal out there for families and rides I have seen.

They also have $8.00 unlimited ride bands on Wednesday/Thursdays through the end of August if you bring a can of Pepsi.

www.beachboardwalk.com

Went there last week and had a very nice time--forgot to bring swimsuits/towels for the kids (bring a kite if you are on the beach in the afternoons--kind of windy). Rides were not too crowded and nice 70F weather--wind died down when it got dark.

-Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's kind of a tourist trap type of place with various illusions to make it look as if gravity were being defied. Can't say that I was terribly impressed with it.

The Boardwalk and the Santa Cruz Wharf might be more entertaining, and if you want to drive over the hill, there are plenty of attractions in the Santa Clara Valley including places like the Tech Museum or the Winchester Mystery House. Additionally all the way up the Peninsula to San Francisco there are sites like the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC to the locals), Stanford University, the headquarters of companies like Apple and H-P, and of course, while you're here, you've got to make the trek into San Francisco if you have been there before. On the other side of the hill, you could head south to Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur from Santa Cruz. If you play golf, there's some great golf courses in both the Santa Cruz area and more expensive ones in the Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach areas.

Last edited: