The Great MiniMag Shootout!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here we have the contendors:
MM with standard bulb, MM with NiteIze drop in, MM with Ministar 2 TLE5, and finally, all the way from Wayne the Wonderful at the Sandwich Shoppe, a Nexgen 750mA UX1L Sandwich Kit with Fraen LP Optics!

*this order will continue through the battle*
touche.gif

StandingMM.jpg

HEY! They all look the same!
ohgeez.gif

Hhmmm. I guess I kind of like the plain black model. I named all my children John as well.
Show us your faces!

MMFaces.jpg

Minimags! Please step away from the wall! (1 yard)
Ready...
Aim...
FIRE!

BeamsMM.jpg

Holy blinding Mouth of the Mountain, Batman!
eeksign.gif

Let's see this again with our "Shades" on.
BeamsMM2.jpg

Well, there you have it.
Let's all bow to Wayne
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
clap.gif

And you... you original MM bulb... take that!
whoopin.gif

EDIT: Add Runtimes to 50%:
Original MM 41 minutes
NightIze 10 hours 49 minutes
TLE5 5 hours 25 minutes
Nexgen I think about 50 minutes (I haven't seen any official times yet)

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spectacular Beamshots! Looks like Wayne did a good job on that sandwhich! Hogokansatsukan Your now a Ceritified Flashaholic!

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have been the one to grab the last NG750/UX1L pill but had to let it go eventually because of the hefty $55 price tag.

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
Can I ask dumb question that has umm... plagued me for a while? regarding all the maglites.. why ( or has ) doesn't someone just make a regulation circuit and put it in the tail of the light? Size cannot be an issue as the solitare has one.. any comments?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Excellent!! This has been needed for a long time. :twothumbs

Not a dumb question, vato. Someone did a 2-stage switch for the minimag tailcap. Two issues I see with putting a circuit on the tail:

- very little space for the components; you'd have to bore the tail and you'd definitely need to "deadbug" the circuit (assemble by hand in 3D) not an easy feat.
- there might be some issues with resistance, circuit efficiency, etc. I'll let the EE pitch in.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
This is a great comparison! :D

Gee, makes my oft-used Nite-Ized MM appear to be rather sickly. :(

And, of course, the stock bulb seems nearly unusable ... which it is, really. :sick2:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ministar doesn't look like a bad compromise of brightness vs. runtime if it gets five hours of light. I'm still running a bb500 with a Lux 1 in my minimag.

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
It's also fun to pull out one of these little drop in modules from Wayne to lend a hand to someone working on an engine using a regular full size Maglite. It's actually too bright up close unless you slightly de-focus.

jwl

Enlightened
Now all we need to see is the new MiniMag 2AA LED right there in the mix to see how it fares....

:popcorn:

BTW - Very nice beamshots :goodjob:

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

Is there any difference in light beam (spot or flood) useing the NG 750mA with the Fraen lp optics, Luxeon NX05 optics or the 20mm IMS reflector? What would you recommend useing with the NG 750mA and why?

Do anybody know how much lumen the NG 750mA makes?

The 50min. runtime, is that with lithium, NiMH or alkaline?

Thanks!

PA

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Now all we need to see is the new MiniMag 2AA LED right there in the mix to see how it fares....

Yeah, when he said "great" I thought for sure Mag's LED would be in there.

:whistle:

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a New Mag LED. Wally World has not had them here.
I don't know which lens/optic is best. That would be better answered by another.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the nexgen 750 with an McR-20 I do not know how that compares to the optic, never tried it. I also built a head that will take an McR-27L and have been using that with a 14670 lithium battery. that gives a tighter spot than the 20. I am curious to see what the 3AA LED from maglite ( stock) looks like. Run time with the lithium is about an hour - and yes - the light gets hot...

still - I have a 2C maglite that I put an LED conversion from Maglite in - that does much better than the nexgen 750 and at under $20 for the LED - quite a deal. Yeah - I know - comparing apples and crab apples..

europium

Enlightened
Jedi Knife said:

Yeah, when he said "great" I thought for sure Mag's LED would be in there.

:whistle:
Indeed. I think the price for a lot of these MiniMag drop-ins are going to be coming down soon.