Versalux PR-2

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't have beamshots, or graphs, but the technology is yesterday's. In their day, they were competitive with the other PR drop in replacement 5mm. They can't be focused, and shine straight ahead, as most did at that time. They were developed before the availability of PR Luxeons, and so, couldn't be compared on that basis.

They had an appearance much like a Night Pearl, but Tom assured us that they weren't. I accepted that, since I also had Night Pearls, and the Versalux surpassed them by far for run time.

They contained a boost circuit, which provided a rudimentary but not true regulation. Their cut-off was about .8 volts, which permitted you to use it with one cell devices.

I'm sure I have more than two, but the only two I can remember still being in use is in a small AA plastic Rayovac that my wife likes to keep by the phone, just in case. The other is used as our bedroom nightlight and battery burner. It's a Dorcy "Best Aluminum" light with the head removed, the lamp installed, and a white translucent table leg protector slipped over it. The "Best Aluminum" light is designed to use 4 AA cells in a holder the size of a D cell. The holder is removed, and a D cell is used. If burning what's left in a C, AA or AAA cell, an adaptor is used to make them D size. It's placed into a metal gold-grid candle holder to dampen the amount of light. A fresh alkaline D cell will run it for around 3 to 4 weeks constantly, with a moon-mode that lasts a few days.

I considered them worthwhile, for their day. They don't compare to what's available now.

Added comment: Incidentally, I'd put them on about the same level as the NiteIze Mag PR for light intensity. But, the NiteIze focuses better. The NiteIze will run on one cell too, but it doesn't last nearly as long as the Versalux.

Last edited: