Okay..Having troubles with Mini Mag mod (Mc18R behind a lux III and an SMJLED)

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so..I clipped the SMJLED leads too short and now it won't work, nor will it fit in the lamp holder's recess..gonna order another one..The thing is, how do I mount it correctly? Also, how do you open up the reflector to fit? I drilled out mine and ruined the mirroring..

Also, how do you center the Mc18R in a minimag? The reflector seems to wander around the outside of the lux a litle.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you got the wrong reflector. Mc18R will need a o ring to hold it in a still position. the Mc19R will be a direct perfect fit to the minimag.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Also, the McRx reflectors are designed to work with Luxeons, not 5mm LED's. The best solution for 5mm LED is to sand down a stock minimag reflector.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No no no...
This is two different lights
What size O Ring should I get? (BTW: the McGizmo site states the 18R as the direct drop in, with the 19 being used for crees/jupiters)

How do I cut down the reflector?

Thanks!

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Garageboy,

As Greenled said, the McR18 is a direct drop-in which will not need any work done to the reflector to fit in a lux mod for minimag. The only thing to improve, is to add in an o-ring to keep it from 'wandering around too much'. (for the o-ring size, I don't have one handy, but check them out in Wayne's sandwich shoppe)

The McR19, IIRC, is a longer reflector and will not fit into Minimag without cutting/sanding it shorter and trimming, with that kind of workload, I would then recommend modding the McR20 to fit it in(the how to is detailed in my guide)

As for the SMJ, you too could use the McR18 to acheive better performance than the stock minimag reflector, but the fit will be quite loose and an o-ring will be a must to keep it somewhat centered.

And if you decide to use the stock reflector, sanding/drilling will be needed to open up the reflector--do kindly check out the section in my Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag mod, there is a part which details how to drill the stock reflector to fit the lux, the opening for the SMJ will not be as large, but the idea is the same.

Good luck with your mod! :)