HDS U60 vs Fenix P1

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
With the HDS U60 going on sale, I was tempted to buy it. But I am wondering, what will I get with the HDS U60 using rechargeable CR123, that I can't just get if bought a P1 + rechargeables.

Is it just multiple stages of light that the U60 will have over the P1?

This will be for EDC uses, working around the shop, lighting the door to use the keys, crawling around the attic, etc. For throw, I will resort to my MC1160 or WE 13v.

thanks in advance,

warpdrive

Enlightened
I just bought the P1 and I just ordered the U60GT

Here's the advantages I see:

The U60 is definitely brighter in maximum mode.

The U60 has completely user configurable settings meaning I can use it for everything from tactical use, to reading print in dark settings (very low setting that won't bother people beside me), to normal brightness that will give me hours of battery life. This is definitely the main appeal for me.

And the U60 is super well regulated in every light level. I really like how it drops to the next level and stays regulated.

Having a tail switch is preferable for me than the bezel twisty for EDC use.

I like the clip design on the U60. The P1 is really more of an occasional use keychain light, but the U60 is a better size to hold but still EDC material.

You can add a diffuser beamshaper (say a Surefire F04) to enhance the usefulness as a reading light

The other features like strobe, 5 minute auto shutoff, configurable default light setting is cool and adds to the "fun factor" and usefulness.

Lastly I keep hearing problems with the P1, and for the extra bucks, I hope the HDS is going to be made to a better standard.

In short, the HDS is a do almost everything light whereas the P1 is more of a great short burst light.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U60 has significantly more output and throw than the P1. The P1 is somewhat smaller and has a twist switch vs the U60 tail switch. The U60 also has variable output levels and will run for hundreds of hours on the dimmer levels. At the dimmest level it fully preserves night vision.

You can also program the U60 to be a simple on/off light, with no other levels, or a two level light -- it's up to you.

I don't have a P1 but have a Peak Caribbean and Fire~FlyIII, which are very roughly the P1 size, and like the P1 both have a twist switch.

The main reason you'd use the P1 is the smaller size, if that's important to you. The P1 could be easily pocket carried. The U60 can also but is a little bigger.

For a general purpose light you can't beat the U60. IMO it's better in nearly every way than the P1, but the P1 is smaller which can be important. The U60 clip doesn't work very well, so many owners pocket carry or holster carry it. There are several holsters available. The U60 variable output is tremendously useful.

For an "always carry" light for keyhole finding and such, I like the Photon and clones better. They are tiny and output plenty of light for close range tasks.

frisco

Enlightened
I don't think you can really compare the two???????

Two different class of lights.

P1 is maybe half the size of an HDS with almost the same output (P1 w/rCR123)

I'm not pro or con...... as I have both and like them both.

frisco

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get both. At 30 grams, the P1 is the ideal spare battery carrier (with benefits).