headlamp $50 or under, type?

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Im willing to spend fifty dollars on a head lamp. Ill use it for genral camping needs, hunting, caving, etc. I have a SF C3 so i dont need it for the throw. I also hav a E1L on the way. Im looking at Princton Tec and Petzel right now. I had an EOS but lost it :( Ive thought about getting another cause that was a really nice light. Whats everyones thoughts?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Argo HP and three FavourLight HLX-712Ls. I like the 712L more because the battery change is a lot easier and it hasn't accidentally activated like the HP has. It also has one more brightness level and a strobe. Go to www.amondotech.com and search for "712L" to find a version that's being offered with eight extra Titanium CR123As for the same price as without ($27.50 + shipping).

If you're willing to spend a bit more than $50, say $65-70, the Princeton Tec Apex is very popular around here.

Read their reviews at www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html. Great site.

By "caving," do you mean just walking around in caves, or climbing and diving as well? If so, you might need something tougher, like a Barbolight or Stenlight. These can run a few hundred dollars, though.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Princeton Tec Yukon, it's 1W LED or 3 5mm leds.

They also make one with Xenon.

It's one of the most practical lights I have. Awesome.

They also make a 3W one... and better than Yukon I have.

nzbazza

Enlightened
I'd echo what tigerhawkt3 has suggested in the Nuwai HLX-712L (my personal favourite).
It uses the same CR123A batteries as the Surefire.

The PT Eos (Lux1/3AAA) or Apex (Lux3/4AA) are great choices as well. Lighthound.com have the Eos for US$33 + pp.

mateen

Enlightened
If you liked the PT EOS you had before, I'd think to just get another one. I also love mine. Tiny, waterproof, multi-level, and moddable - just a good combination of features for not a lot of money.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
I believe im going with a princton tec, i know they make good lights but im not sure which one yet. I really like the yukon being a hybrid in all. Does the battery pack on the back make a difference all the head lamps ive had its all been in the front.

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
I've been quite happy with a PT Apex that I bought a few weeks ago. For throw, and possibly for total output as well, it seems to considerably outperform flashlightreviews.com's review. I don't have numbers, but in eyeball tests, it easily out-throws my HDS U60XRGT and my Inova T3. On price it's at your limit: Eastern Mountain Sports ran a sale recently for $49.95, and you can find them NIB on ebay going for similar $$$.

I'll leave the comparisons to those with direct experience, but I can say:
1) The 4AA battery pack in back balances very well. I've worn mine for continuously for several hours with no fatigue or headache. The Apex's overall center of gravity seems to be right in line with my spine.
2) The regulation is very effective and it works well with NiMH rechargeables. CPF member Sway has published some comparative runtimes at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96493.
3) The Lux III tint on my unit is a nearly perfect white (an X0 bin emitter?), while the 5mm LED's have a non-objectionable but distinctly bluish cast.

Good luck on your quest!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Redskins38
One note on the recommended FavourLight HLX-712Ls, which is a great value - especially for a multi-stage headlamp. If you are going to use it caving be aware that it is highly regulated, and so when the batteries can't put out enough voltage to run on high it will switch to medium. When you are down to your last few volts on low the light will go off completly leaving you in the dark. I do use this light for caving and when it gets to the point of only lighting up in low mode I know it's time to change batteries. Being a three stage light it is easy to conserve the batteries by using the lowest setting you need at the time. I also have a PT Yukon HL [Lux I] which is also very good, although the switch is hard to activate with gloves on.

cy

Flashaholic
another vote for streamlight argo HP. an excellent lightweight headlamp that uses 2x CR123. price is excellent too. has two stage clicky.

stenlight for when you need extreme reliability and super long runtime.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked almost everything about the Argo HP except its battery compartment (I always need pliers or a strap wrench to open it), and the fact that it's the only light I have that's been accidentally activated. I don't think I'd trust it on a lowlight outing, but I'll still use it for tasks around and outside the house.

IIRC, FR says that the nice thing about the 712L's regulation and multiple brightness levels is that when the light turns off, you can wait a few seconds for the cells to rest and then turn it on to a lower brightness level. I haven't needed to try that yet, so I don't know if it works. Of course, there's a handy battery indicator on the unit if you care to take it off your head to inspect it.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm really concerned w/ the mult. reports of the Argo HP battery compartment being so hard to open...

I think you guys should contact Streamlight

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all fairness, I've heard that some grease on the O-rings does wonders in many lights (like the P1), but I haven't tried it yet. When I brought them camping and the cells were dead due to accidental activation, I didn't bring pliers or a strap wrench, but one of my camping buddies was able to open it without much apparent effort. The cap is just so small and obstructed by the headstrap attachment points that it's hard to get a good grip.

The ONLY things I didn't like about the Argo HP were the accidental activation, difficult battery compartment, and loud (easily audible) buzz when on low. Everything else about it is good, and the construction and build quality are definitely Streamlight-caliber.

cy

Flashaholic
no problem with my argo hp opening up...

jar3ds said:
i'm really concerned w/ the mult. reports of the Argo HP battery compartment being so hard to open...

I think you guys should contact Streamlight

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I bought an EOS and a Argo HP at the same time because I couldn't make up my mind. The EOS is sweet and I use it all the time. The Argo is ok but the buzz on low is REALLY annoying.

I wish they made an EOS that takes AA's.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Ive decided on getting an Apex. That seems to be a really great light all around and best suited for my needs. thanks for the info