AE powerlight 24W vs. AmondoTech HID Illuminator

daveman

Enlightened
hello guys, I'm looking for a strong HID/spot light and have been reading alot on this forum about how great the AE 24W is and what a steal the Amondo HID is as well. I know the 2 are not in the same price range, have different run times as well, but I know they're both VERY bright. Can some who has seen both in action tell me which one is brighter (throw, output, lumen, cp, anything at all would be much appreciated)? Thanks in advance for all your help.

David

NAW

Enlightened
The AE 24W is pretty bright. But it has rings in the beam patttern that you may find disturbing. The AmondoTech DID is much bigger and heavier but it throws farther. Now If you want alot of light then I'd suggest looking into the more expensive 50W HID lights out there.

This site has alot of beamshots of 24W, 35W, and 50W HID lights.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kenshiro2/

And B.T.W. welcome to CPF :)

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome, Naw. So you're saying the Amondo throws farther AND it has more flood, but obviously looses runtime compared to the AE? I'm not very concerned with runtime, and the size of the Amondo HID is still small enough to carry, but I was under the impression that the AE 24W is about as bright (throw, output) as the Admondo?

David

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AE24 is only 24 watts VS the 35 watts of the Amondotech Iluminator. The AI is also bigger and throws farther with very good side spill.

daveman

Enlightened
thanks Laser. I was hoping to hear that AE is on par with AI in performance. Guess I'll have to settle with the bulkier AI then. Thanks again.:)

Delvance

Enlightened
The AI also comes with a 4200K bulb...great for colour rendition...actually to me, it's just about perfect. The AE, iirc comes with a 6000K bulb. Another great thing about the AI is, as soon as you flick the switch, it comes on at near full blast, while the AE starts off really dim and slowly reaches the peak.I've compared an AE 24W to my AI, no chance on spill or throw. The form factor of the AE is nicer though.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I have An AE PL 24 and love it. I have been thinking about geting the amoundotech 35 watt because its priced around $130 compared to over $300 for the PL24. I would ask what you are looking to do with the light you are looking for? If you want something portable to play around with and can afford the price than go with the AE PL24(1Pound). If your looking for something you dont plan on walking around with and want to have an HID to light things up than I would check out the 35Watt(15Pounds). Than you could let me know if I should get a 35 watt. :naughty:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
leprechaun414 said:
... If your looking for something you dont plan on walking around with and want to have an HID to light things up than I would check out the 35Watt(15Pounds). Than you could let me know if I should get a 35 watt. :naughty:

Just a quick note here, the Harbor Freight HID is just under 15 pounds the Illuminator is much smaller and weighs between 8 and 9 pounds.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

daveman

Enlightened
Will do, Lep414. Although I'll probably get a U2 before the Amondo. I have an Ultrastinger to fill the "heavy duty" for now. Nice little bright light...

GrizRod

Newly Enlightened
daveman said:
Thanks for the welcome, Naw. So you're saying the Amondo throws farther AND it has more flood, but obviously looses runtime compared to the AE? I'm not very concerned with runtime, and the size of the Amondo HID is still small enough to carry, but I was under the impression that the AE 24W is about as bright (throw, output) as the Admondo?

David

Some of the guys with AI's have gotten 90 minutes plus, and one got 143 minutes of runtime with his AI, thats probably an exception. It sounded like that was with the standard 12V7aH battery. I think my 12V9aH deep discharge battery will do over two hours, or more, that not bad IMO.

I'am taking the light to South America tomorow, will try to post some stuff about the AI in action there in the jungle hunting at night.

daveman

Enlightened
GrizRod said:
Some of the guys with AI's have gotten 90 minutes plus, and one got 143 minutes of runtime with his AI, thats probably an exception. It sounded like that was with the standard 12V7aH battery. I think my 12V9aH deep discharge battery will do over two hours, or more, that not bad IMO.

I'am taking the light to South America tomorow, will try to post some stuff about the AI in action there in the jungle hunting at night.

Griz Rod, I've read that some guys have gotten extraordinary runtimes (beyong an hour), but I've also read that it goes to the detriment of the battery's longevity? Also, your 12V9aH, it's the same size as the 12V7aH? How much did you pick it up for?