HDS 60 vs. Surefire L1 (Gen 2): Which do you like?

adnj

Enlightened
I can't decide what to buy. I don't need another light but so what!! What do you prefer and why? Give it to me straight... good and bad!

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
HDS without a doubt. Smaller, better beam, more settings, robust, more tech, just as reliable etc.

I love Surefire and I specifically love the Surefire L1. I have 2 current gen L1s and 1 first gen L1. I also have two HDS EDCs (U42, B60LE) and I will take the HDS over the L1s any day.

Now all that being said I still like the Surefires very very much. They are great lights and I have them stashed all over. I just prefer the HDS and were I to do it all over again I think I would have HDS EDCs stashed all over.

Chris

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I don't have a L1 but have seen it - not for me. Optic is too tight but as a single cell it's not too bright for real throw. You then have the worst of both worlds - too little output for real distance but too bright and concentrated for up close searching.

I have 2 EDC's. 'Nuff said.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good alternative to them could be a SF E1e body with 2stage tailcap and a 27mm reflector-head combination.

Best regards

____
Tom

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, and the HDS is certainly more useful to me because of size and brightness options. I find I use all four of the levels on the HDS at different times.

The L1, now with reflector and upgraded LED, sits in my truck's glove compartment.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I have a E1L, which has the same beam pattern as the L1, and I have the U60

I MUCH prefer the U60, the 4 levels is VERY useful. The size is perfect.

The L1 is just too long for a single cell, and the beam pattern isn't particularly useful for general illumination unless you stick a diffuser on it. I much prefer the beam pattern of the U60 for all around use.

adnj

Enlightened
Am I seeing a trend here?! Who is buying (and keeping) the L1?

PseudoFed

Enlightened
Don't know HDS as I'm new to this, ahem, "hobby", but I have a new L1. I keep an F04 diffuser nearby, and on it if I go for a walk late. With the F04 diffuser the L1 gives me 4 choices of beam, and plenty of output and runtime for me, given that it's only sipping on 1 batt. That said, I got an A2 yesterday 'cause I like two stages and love the throw of the incans, for identifying the occasional unidentified 4-legger across the street as I walk/jog.

Spent $12 on the F04, and it didn't change the pocketability of the little versatile L1.

Jeff.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
adnj said:
Am I seeing a trend here?! Who is buying (and keeping) the L1?
Me!:)
I had the chance to check out a HDS last week and while I agree the beam is better than that of the L1, I much prefer the simplicity and mechanical user interface of the L1.
And as Jeff mentioned, the F04 diffuser is an excellent little add-on! And I love the 1 hour and something minutes runtime on full power!:rock:

warpdrive

Enlightened
The Porcupine said:
And as Jeff mentioned, the F04 diffuser is an excellent little add-on! And I love the 1 hour and something minutes runtime on full power!:rock:

Just a note for others: the F04 fits the HDS just fine too. I keep it on the HDS as a sort of "lens protector"

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that hands down, I would select the HDS over the L1. I find the low on the L1 to be very limited in it's uses as it is such a narrow and dim beam. The HDS has user programable settings, more output potential, a clicky, can tailstand. It is one of my favorite lights and I waited awhile before buying one. On one hand, I regret waiting so long and on the other hand, I am glad that I waited as long as I did because of the recent great prices.

A little different story for me if the L1 used a reflector.

-Goatee

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
And wait for the new HDS/NovaTac light to come out before you buy one.
Unless you get one of the discounted ones from one of the HDS merchants.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasBlinded said:
Heck, put a reflector in your L1. I did it to mine, and its almost a trivial process.

I sold mine. Maybe I should get a new one and put the reflector in. I just need to stop buying lights.

-Goatee

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an L1, so I can't comment on it, that said, I honestly don't see the need to buy one since getting my U60GT...fantastic light...I don't leave home without it

This is also sound advice...

And wait for the new HDS/NovaTac light to come out before you buy one.

I'm sure that they will re-release the much vaunted U85 sooner or later...giant slayer
buttrock.gif

CFU