Surefire spare carrier for A2

stockae92

Enlightened
when i check surefire's web site, they listed that MA-02 for A2 will fit in all SC1, SC2 and SC3??

so which one to get?

(the logical choice seems to be SC3)

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
The logical choice is which size do you want to carry around? Do you want 2 extra sets of batteries or 3? I would go for the one that carries 6.

Edit: just read that they recommend you to use cotton or buffing material when using certain bulbs with SC1. I personally like the SC1 because there is actually a place to put the bulb and not just on top of the batteries.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Best one is the SC3 without a doubt since the SC3 was designed for the MA02 and MN01/MN02/MN03 Lamp Assemblies.

P183.jpg

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
Size 15, can you remove the battery easily without the lamp assmebly needing to be removed? From every picture I have seen it seems as if you were in a hurry to replace batteries at night then you could accidentally knock out the bulb?

Size15's

Flashaholic
citizenal said:
Size 15, can you remove the battery easily without the lamp assmebly needing to be removed? From every picture I have seen it seems as if you were in a hurry to replace batteries at night then you could accidentally knock out the bulb?

Nope, you should remove the Lamp Assembly prior to removing any of the SF123As. If you're in such a hurry and don't have the short amount of time it takes to do this, or you're not in a situation or environment suitable for this activity I suggest a backup flashlight (such as an E2e) as a possible solution.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
I prefer the SC3's for compactness and the fact that I usually EDC an LED light rather than the A2 or other incandescent.
The SC3's are so "cute". I usually have an SC2 for the M6 in my rucksack as well though.

Al

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
citizenal said:

In the A2 you can easily remove the batteries without any danger of disturbing the lamp assembly. In the A2, the batteries load through the TAILCAP section of the light. Remove the tailcap, remove batteries through that end. The lamp assembly goes in the HEAD section. When you change an A2's batteries, you do not touch the head section at all. Even if you did, the a2's lamp assembly is quite tightly held there by friction. I do not think that it would fall out even if you unscrewed the head section and inverted the lamp assembly.

This is a different arrangement than in the E series lights. It is easy to lose the lamp assembly when you are trying to rapidly change the batteries on an E series because both lamp assembly and battery access are by unscrewing the head.

Look at the pictures of the A2 again. The electronics take up the head-most section of the body. It is plainly obvious that batteries can not be unloaded through that end.

Haz

Enlightened
Grox, citizenal was referring to the battery carrier, not the light itself.

Grox said:
In the A2 you can easily remove the batteries without any danger of disturbing the lamp assembly. In the A2, the batteries load through the TAILCAP section of the light. Remove the tailcap, remove batteries through that end. The lamp assembly goes in the HEAD section. When you change an A2's batteries, you do not touch the head section at all. Even if you did, the a2's lamp assembly is quite tightly held there by friction. I do not think that it would fall out even if you unscrewed the head section and inverted the lamp assembly.

This is a different arrangement than in the E series lights. It is easy to lose the lamp assembly when you are trying to rapidly change the batteries on an E series because both lamp assembly and battery access are by unscrewing the head.

Look at the pictures of the A2 again. The electronics take up the head-most section of the body. It is plainly obvious that batteries can not be unloaded through that end.

Illum

Flashaholic
size 15s, can you post a pic on how big the SC3 is compared to the palm of a hand....i dont want to wind up buying one and feels like im carrying a tennis ball sized puck on my neck.:ohgeez::laughing:...if thats the size then great!

Size15's

Flashaholic
You don't wanna be carrying any of the SC's on a neck lanyard. That's just strange. :thinking:

I guess SureFire could do with having a photo of "The Hand" holding each of the SC's.

I'm sorry I can't help you by posting a photo of an SC3 in one of mine hands tonight.

Al

stockae92

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
size 15s, can you post a pic on how big the SC3 is compared to the palm of a hand....i dont want to wind up buying one and feels like im carrying a tennis ball sized puck on my neck.:ohgeez::laughing:...if thats the size then great!

i've tried that before with a SC1, and when fully loaded with LA and CR123A, it heavy and not comfortable. and it bangs against you every time you move

i don't think you'll be comfortable with a SC3 on your neck even though it has 2 CR123A less than SC1

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
ah, small enough, now to get a phone clip then i can stow it in the pocket:ohgeez:

:thanks: for the :kewlpics:
You'r welcome! But beware, it's quite heavy with four 123's in it!:)

quokked

Enlightened
4 film canisters? :O
Have your tried getting your hands on the Kodak APS canisters? It fits two CR123a's just perfectly.
They're just the right size, you need to squeeze the cansiter to have the batteries drop out but it's a good feature too cause they won't slip out.
They're black and oval shaped just ask round some film stores for some empty kodak APS canisters, they're getting kinda rare in this digital age but if u ask round enough places they usually have a couple of them

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I own two of the SC3 Battery Carriers and I must say they are very well constructed, and as for their size, for my needs I find it to be very conveniant.