Fenix Hard Anodized finish durability

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Just wondering how tough and durable the HA is on Fenix lights. I'm considering getting one of those new L0P SEs to replace my aging Arc-AAA standard (circa Sept. 2004, one of the last out the door) that's been on my keychain for just over 2 years now. The Arc has held up really well considering there's usually about 6-7 keys, Leatherman Micra, and a metal whistle with it. The only wear spots are the edges near the lug end. The head is the same as I got it 2 years ago. Here's a pic of it now:

arcaaawornrd9.jpg

I'm not expecting the same durability as the Arc, but I do want to know how good the HA is on the Fenix and how well it holds up on keychain duty. Pics of worn Fenixes (and how long it's been on your keychain) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Avro

91bravo

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2P and took it caving in Graves Cave in Blountsville, Alabama. I dropped it, dragged it while crawling, submerged it in water, and the finish is still pretty good. A couple of dings and scratches, but that would happen if you dropped any light with any finish. Pretty tough in my opinion. About as tough as Inova's finish!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a LOP on a keyring for a couple of months now. It's showing a few specks of silver around the split ring but otherwise in good nic.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a few specks of aluminum peaking through here and there I wish the finish was a little harder. It's not bad considering I dropped it on some concrete from about 3 meters.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, the black "hard anodizing" of the Fenix lights is not as tough as that of the Surefire lights - particularly the HA-Nat versions. Of course, for hte price, my expectations of the Fenix lights aren't at Surefire levels.

My keyring L0P is showing wear after after a month, and the front of an L2P bezel has lost a little anodizing where some tape that was functioning as a diffuser has pulled some flecks off.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there avro...

The Fenix HAIII is nothing like the Arc HAIII...see thread bellow...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/135086

Fenix are nice little lights, I own several...but they will be beat up pretty bad after a year or two of daily pocket carry.

BTW, my old AAA & AAA-LE look like yours...not a ding or a scratch on them after years of keychain carry...excellent durability!
buttrock.gif

CFU

AvroArrow

Enlightened
wasBlinded, yeah, I wasn't expecting Arc or SureFire level quality HA on the Fenix (especially considering the price), but wanted to know how well it holds up under daily keychain duty. I've got a L1P v2.5 from the original group buy when they first came out, which I leave in it's velcro pouch is still mint so I didn't know how good the HA coating is because it hasn't been subject to wear.

CFU, thanks for the link to that thread. I thought I had seen a pic of a worn P1 somewhere, but I couldn't remember where I saw the thread. And my preliminary search didn't turn it up either, guess I wasn't using the right keywords in the search. My AAA is actually kind of worn (poor lighting when I took the picture makes it hard to see), the sharp edge around the cylinder tube (near the lug) is showing the silver aluminum all around it, and the inside edge of the split ring hole is also showing some silver. But those are the most "pointy" and consequently high wear areas.

That P1 from the other thread also shows most of the wear at the edgy/sharp areas, so that would be typical from keychain wear I guess.

Anyone else have pics of keychain duty Fenixes that show signs of wear?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avro, I suppose the bottom line is if visable wear and tear worries you...if my Fenix's still work as flawlessly as my Arcs after several years it's money well spent and I can't complain (even if they do get a bit bashed up).

Personally speaking though, I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you owned a HDS EDC...you should team it up with a new Arc-P...a handsome and very capable couple IMO - I'm never without my "team".
biggrin.gif

CFU

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E1 and its been dangling around with my keys for almost two months now
and shows no sign of wear

tesseract

Newly Enlightened
I've had my L1T for about 3 months and carry it 95% of my waking hours. It has one small speck of bare aluminum showing on the edge of the bezel due to dropping it onto a stone surface from approx. 1 meter, and a bit of bare aluminum visible around the lanyard holes where I was using a pointy piece of steel to poke the lanyard through the hole. Other than that, the finish is doing pretty well.

Last edited:

waion

Newly Enlightened
I had carried my Fenix LOP for more than a month in my keychain. Besides the edges, all the other surfaces are still nearly intact. The finish is very durable.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Avro, I suppose the bottom line is if visable wear and tear worries you...if my Fenix's still work as flawlessly as my Arcs after several years it's money well spent and I can't complain (even if they do get a bit bashed up).

Personally speaking though, I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you owned a HDS EDC...you should team it up with a new Arc-P...a handsome and very capable couple IMO - I'm never without my "team".
biggrin.gif

CFU

That's a good point CFU, as long as it still lights up when needed, I shouldn't be too concerned about the cosmetics, as long as it's not rust. And it would probably look cooler with the "weathered" look. :D

Yes, I have an EDC U60GT that I actually EDC, although not very efficiently. Currently I carry it in my pants pocket in a Q3 case since it didn't come with a case and I don't feel like wearing down my pants' pockets. I'm trying to decide between the Kydex case from LiteMania or the nylon case from AW. If I wear it on my belt, the Kydex would make it really obvious whereas the nylon one would be less obvious. Decisions, decisions...

In my opinion, the new Arc-P isn't worth the price when I can get something (the L0P SE) that is brighter, whiter, has 3 levels of output, and is $5+ cheaper. Mind you, it's not the same build quality as the Arc, but it seems to be made well enough. That's why I'm going to replace my trusty old Arc-AAA with the L0P SE and carry it with the U60GT. And the price point of the L0PSE is right because I've managed to get my boss and a couple of co-workers interested in it, so I'm going to be ordering like 6 of them. :laughing:

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like most people are saying that it does shows signs of wear, but usually on the edgy areas and not the flat or rounded parts. Good to know.

Avro

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
2wgszlf.jpg

Mine has stayed on my keys 24/7 for the last six or seven months. Granted, my Inova XO3 has held up etter, it's still prettier than a MAG Solitaire. I use it almost everday at some point of another, and I can get AAA's from work for free. I don't baby it, and I toss my keys around like everyone else. I keep my keys in my pocket, and when I'm wearing shorts w/o pockets or a belt, I tuck the Fenix inside my waist band and let the keys hang. For the price and light output, I'm happy.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
THANKS for the pics Inferno! That's exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. Your L0P does look pretty worn out, but still better than a type II anodized light (like the Solitaire). Definitely not Arc quality HA, but then again, I already assumed that. And like CFU said earlier, as long as it lights up when needed, I shouldn't worry about it. Wonder how it will look a year from now. BTW, cute sig line. :D

Avro

AvroArrow said:
THANKS for the pics Inferno! That's exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. Your L0P does look pretty worn out, but still better than a type II anodized light (like the Solitaire).

Yeah we all hope hard anodized coating lasts longer than regular anodizing, but numerous owner testimonies says the H.A. Fenix doesn't hold up to the durability to that of H.A. coating on top brands, such as Surefire, Streamlight and Arc. You can search on this subject and you will find multiple users are reporting the samething.

The Mag Solitaire was mentioned a few times here. It's lacking the better HA coating, but it cost about $10.

How much does an L0P cost?

Edit: so it's $33.50, but these were selling for more. How much did you pay for yours Inferno?

Definitely not Arc quality HA, but then again, I already assumed that. And like CFU said earlier, as long as it lights up when needed, I shouldn't worry about it. Wonder how it will look a year from now. BTW, cute sig line. :D
Avro
For something you paid $47.95(now selling for $34) for,you would expect it to be at Arc like quality, huh?

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
$45? your sigline shoud be "I HATE FENIX", but it is getting pretty obvious anyway.
and the $20 EO is the arc competitor.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
i had one and unless they changed the coating in the last 6 months or so its junk,and so is the peak matterhorn's from the same time frame, one of the reasons i got rid of them , now a Miller Mod arc , thats the way to go .

Pumaman said:
$45? your sigline shoud be "I HATE FENIX", but it is getting pretty obvious anyway.
and the $20 EO is the arc competitor.

It was actually selling for $47.95. It might be $33.50 now, but the guy with scratched up L0P most likely paid more than $33.50 for it back then.