Garrity Life Lite alternatives

lpcmidst128

Newly Enlightened
I know the Garrity Life Lite has been around for a long time. I like the design of it, nice and simple. The only downside is that you can't replace the batteries since they consider that disposable. So my questions is were there any made that had replaceable batteres (ie AA) or any other flashlight with that similar design.

Do firefighters really use that flashlight? The packaging says Firefighter's choice or something like that. Thanks.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be adverse to modifying one? The battery that comes in that light is strangely shaped, but it probably wouldn't be much effort to replace it with three AAs or a lithium-ion. Maybe even four NiMH AA cells so you can overdrive the lamp a little.

The Life Lite's case cracks open easily enough; perhaps you can hinge it or use those over-center latches to hold it shut. Or screws. Or a zip-tie. ;-)

While you're in there you can Progold the switch contacts.

lpcmidst128

Newly Enlightened
I actually never though about that but I will consider that a project. Right I've taken apart one and it looks like a 3 cell battery, looks like 3 C cell batteries except smaller. I like flashlight that use even number of batteries. I don't remember what kind of bulb it is.

Maybe I could get a battery holder which I've seen at Radio Shack and just wire that up. I guess I'll have to find a way to make the battery door for battery access. A slide open cover would probably work. My goal is to make it look original as possible. I'm not that adavanced what is meant by Progold the switch contacts?

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Dorcy version of the Life Lite. It has a round reflector and a far better beam. I put Luxeon in mine.....

dmod2.jpg

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
lpcmidst128 said:
I'm not that adavanced what is meant by Progold the switch contacts?

ProGold is a spray treatment for electrical contacts. Actually ProGold makes several types of lubricants and such, but in the context of CPF, it's the electrical contact treatment. The basic "kit" is a contact cleaner called DeOxIt, and then you spray ProGold over your cleaned contacts to lubricate them and help prevent future corrosion.

Back to the Life Lite... you could easily fit a 9-volt battery or a number of CR123s, a converter board, heatsink and LED. It'd look like a bomb under airport X-Ray, but wow what a great little inexpensive light that would be.

lpcmidst128

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen the Dorcy version of the Life Lite, its probably not as common as the Garrity.

That ProGold stuff sounds similar to the CRC electronic cleaner and grease. I use their Di-Electric grease and contact cleaner for automotive applications, might work well for switch contacts.

I like AA batteries since they are one of the most common batteries. Speaking of LED, I know Garrity came out with the LED version of the Life Lite. I read a review on flashlightreviews.com and they showed the LED version had 3AA alkaline batteries inside. Bomb under airport x-ray? Make sure don't bring that along on vacation.