Invisibility Cloaking Technology Devised

Lightmeup

Enlightened
I thought we promised the Romullans we wouldn't use these?

"Such a cloak could hide any object so well that observers would be totally unaware of its presence, according to the researchers. In principle, their invisibility cloak could be realized with exotic artificial composite materials called "metamaterials," they said.

"The cloak would act like you've opened up a hole in space," said David R. Smith, Augustine Scholar and professor of electrical and computer engineering at Duke's Pratt School. "All light or other electromagnetic waves are swept around the area, guided by the metamaterial to emerge on the other side as if they had passed through an empty volume of space."

Electromagnetic waves would flow around an object hidden inside the metamaterial cloak just as water in a river flows virtually undisturbed around a smooth rock, Smith said."

http://dukenews.duke.edu/2006/05/cloaking.html

Topper

Flashaholic*
That promise was based upon a mutual agreement to withhold certain technology from others. When it became clear the Romulians were in fact dealing with the Faringi...Well all deals were off.
I am unable to discuss this further as I have no knowledge of your security clearance.
Topper :lolsign:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has no-one yet spotted my use of the invisibility cloaking device.

(See above)

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electromagnetic waves would flow around an object hidden inside the metamaterial cloak just as water in a river flows virtually undisturbed around a smooth rock, Smith said

Maybe Dr. Smith should take a fluids dynamics class--Professors of Electrical and Computer engineering would seem to have forgotten a whole field of engineering--not to mention all of the vehicles that travel on water and even through the air and need disturbed flows to function correctly (venturi effects, turbulence, drag, etc.)...

They may be able to obtain some sort of limited masking of signatures (say limiting microwave reflections of radar)--but I doubt in my lifetime it will be a cloaking field over an oil refinery to make it invisible.

Personally, I have always been fond of the SEP Field from "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy":

Simply put, an SEP field is an energy field similar to an invisibility field. When somebody, or something, is surrounded by a SEP field, the human brain perceives it as "somebody else's problem", and therefore will be incapable of paying attention to the object (or even seeing it, or recognizing its existence) unless it is being specifically looked for. A primary example of this was given in the third book Life, the Universe and Everything, when a UFO (a spaceship powered by the Bistromathic drive owned by the character Slartibartfast) lands in the middle of a cricket ground during a match, and the assembled crowd completely ignores it. Another prime example occurs when the aforementioned ship's field is extended so that the characters fail to notice the fact that they cannot breathe or the fact that the asteroid that they are standing on does not have enough gravitational force to hold them down. It should be noted that an SEP field won't render an object invisible if it is expected to be there, and a SEP-cloaked object may be noticed out of the corner of the eye. The SEP field requires much less energy than a normal invisibility field (a single torch battery can run it for over a hundred years) due to the natural propensity of humans to see things as Somebody Else's Problem. This is very close to the idea suggested by Terry Pratchett (who has often been compared to Douglas Adams): People do not see whatever they are sure cannot be there.

-Bill :popcorn:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a psy-op to give the impression that invisiblity is for nutcases -- while a nearly endless stream of much more realistic research goes on, decade after decade, making further inroads of usable, field deployable invisibility/camo techniuqes which are not sexy enough to report. Cool.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You can only use the cloak in the Gamma quadrant; assuming of course, you find a stable wormhole with its terminus in that quadrant. :laughing: :crackup: :laughing:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
there seems to be a cloak of invisibility surrounding the point of my posts,
and the humor, too.

any idea how it's removed?