A luxV in a PT Apex. Possible?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PT Apex with a TW0H in it, but I also have a LuxV light with a WX0S star that has a malfunctioning dimmer (locked in high..).

So I started thinking...

I was wondering whether anybody has tried to put a LuxV in an Apex.

The optic and the LuxV might not go well together and I haven't found a reflector that fits without major modding, but if anybody has tried this please chime in.

My LuxV is on a star so I can't just try it out and put everything back afterwards..

Sverre

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hummm.... i'm sure it would be a good option if we can figure out an optical solution

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
NoFair said:
I have a PT Apex with a TW0H in it
.......... did you fit the T bin? ........ was it easy ? .... anybody know what comes as standard? .....i`m well aware they are really bright as they come, but i`v got a bad dose of incurable "musttakeittobitsitis" :)

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what light you have, maybe you can post some pics ?
Also, can you measure the reflector (optic) height and width ?
I might have something for you... (PM incoming)

EDIT: I think this must be the pic...
Looks like an optic... And looks like we should mod it :grin2:
headlamp2b.jpg

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
bombelman said:
I don't know what light you have, maybe you can post some pics ?
Also, can you measure the reflector (optic) height and width ?
I might have something for you... (PM incoming)

EDIT: I think this must be the pic...
Looks like an optic... And looks like we should mod it :grin2:
headlamp2b.jpg

That is the one:) PM replied

It is really nice even with the optic, but since it is easy to open and the beam could be improved I can't stop wondering how it would be with a OP reflector....

The lux swap is easy: Solder off 2 wires, pull out old emitter (they use thermal paste not glue), put in new emitter after putting some thermal paste on the contact area with the heatsink, solder the 2 wires to the new emitter and put everything back together.

Mine was bright, but the tint was a bit on the cool side and I prefer a warm tint outside. It is about 10% brighter with the new emitter:D

If the driver would support the higher Vf of the luxV and the optic/new reflector works with a luxV this could become a perfect headlamp for me:)

Sverre

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
NoFair said:
The lux swap is easy: ....It is about 10% brighter with the new emitter:D
WHOOO HOOOOO!!!
so 10% brighter with TWOH.... ??% brighter with UX1J :naughty: mmmmm!!
[EDIT] i would also like to see the 4x5mm leds on at the same time as the Lux[/EDIT]

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most Apex lights have T-bins in them. One member here found the brightness to be less in an Apex with a U-bin in it than an unmodded one. So some might have U-bins. If the colour is perfect I would leave it alone since opening it up voids the warranty as well...

Usually you will see an increase in brightness with a U-bin, but I swapped emitter to get a better tint since I dislike the cool tints outside. The added brightness and increased runtime (lower Vf than the stock one) is just a nice bonus.

The UX1J is a very good emitter for this since that tint is better for seeing greens and yellow that dominates outdoors.

Good luck and enjoy.

I probably won't get to try out the optic with a luxV or a reflector in the Apex until after the weekend because of work and needing an Apex in order up in the mountains during the latter part of the week:D

Sverre

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up 2 of the Apex's a while back. With some Nice UWOk's lying around I decided to mod the apex with a new "U" bin star. The original LED was a YO tint bin. I myslef like the WO or slightly warmer tints

Anyway after installing the UWOK star the light was noticably dimmer. I guess I must of had a "V" bin 3 watter in there :) So back in it went.

Before and after the mod the light was compared with the other Apex I had that already had a warmer tint LED.

Mac

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what is the Apex (luxeon part) drive voltage? Is it auto adjust?
I already mod my apex 5mm led to use uncut SMJLED (WahWang). It is much brighter and more even in light distribution. Already try to turn it on for 30 minutes continuous, no apparent brightness degradation/angry blue color due to heat issue.
I'm waiting for my UX1J to arrive soon, and my mod will be complete :)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernhard said:
Anyone know what is the Apex (luxeon part) drive voltage? Is it auto adjust?
I already mod my apex 5mm led to use uncut SMJLED (WahWang). It is much brighter and more even in light distribution. Already try to turn it on for 30 minutes continuous, no apparent brightness degradation/angry blue color due to heat issue.
I'm waiting for my UX1J to arrive soon, and my mod will be complete :)

It is current regulated (I'm pretty sure) and seems to drive the led at about 750 mA. The TW0Hs I tested all very close to there binned Vf when in the Apex. Lower Vf should give better runtimes unlike in the HDS where the light is set to deliver a certain wattage and lower Vf increases the current draw.

Nice plan to use the SMJLEDs, I've been thinking about it, but I only have 3 of them lying around so it is on long term hold.. I'm happy with the 5mm brightness, but I would have prefered a perfect tint on them as well...

Sverre

Brlux

Enlightened
I put in an IMS 20mm reflector in my APEX. It required cutting 3~4mm off the front of the reflector to get it to fit. I also had to cut off the 2 little mounting bumps that help hold the optic retainer in place. I personaly think I prefered the optic over my reflector and will be changing it back at a later date.

Brlux

Brlux

Enlightened
O ya I think it is a curent regulated buck converter. You probably need the battery voltage to be at the minimum a little higher than the VF of your LED. I run mine off a 2 cell Li-ion pack which reached up to 8.4V fresh off the cahrger and the converter is fine with that voltage but I would be nervout to push the voltage much higher. So in sumery I think it probably would run a 5 watt LED but you will need to raise your battery voltage to a higher voltage than the VF of your LED. The APEX pro is coming out which you could put 2 recahrgable 123 cells in.

Brlux

vtunderground

Enlightened
Brlux said:
I put in an IMS 20mm reflector in my APEX. It required cutting 3~4mm off the front of the reflector to get it to fit. I also had to cut off the 2 little mounting bumps that help hold the optic retainer in place. I personaly think I prefered the optic over my reflector and will be changing it back at a later date.

What didn't you like about the beam with the reflector?

I've been considering attempting this mod... do you have any beamshots?

Brlux

Enlightened
The over all perceived brightness seems less to me for some reason. It is more focused with less spill, it may throw a bit farther but my so far I am not that impressed. With the optic it provided a good hot spot that had decent throw but also had a very wide and bright spill for illuminating all that was in front of me. To my eye the optic seemed like a very impressive almost overwhelming amount of light at times. The reflector kind of gives me the same sort of feeling using a flashlight with a lenses like the older Inova X0, to much light in one small spot and not enough everywhere else. I feel like I have to aim it at my target verses just looking in the direction. It is just my personal opinion and in all honesty I have not used it much outside sense the reflector install. Maybe my opinion will change. I will try to take some pictures of the beam but It would be nice to have one with an optic as well for a side by side comparison.

Brlux

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brlux said:
O ya I think it is a curent regulated buck converter. You probably need the battery voltage to be at the minimum a little higher than the VF of your LED. I run mine off a 2 cell Li-ion pack which reached up to 8.4V fresh off the cahrger and the converter is fine with that voltage but I would be nervout to push the voltage much higher. So in sumery I think it probably would run a 5 watt LED but you will need to raise your battery voltage to a higher voltage than the VF of your LED. The APEX pro is coming out which you could put 2 recahrgable 123 cells in.

Brlux

Thanks!

I kinda assumed it was a buck, will make i difficult to run a LuxV off AAs...

I planned on using 2 18650s with my Apex, but since I haven't found a good battery-carrier this project is on hold for the moment...

Sverre

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone verify whether the Apex uses a star or just an emitter?

Im considering swapping the led in mine.

Benny

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend a Seoul P4 over a lux V. Lux V is not compatible due to the need to step voltage up (Apex is buck as mentioned above) and besides, you will get the same (or brighter) output and have a more efficient electron to photon converter with the Cree die.