Do you use a label maker?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If so, which one? We have one at work that takes the spool of tape for the labels and you can use different spools for different widths etc. As for creating the labels, you can change the size, font, etc. I'm looking for something simple to use at home. I'll probably just use one type of label, maybe a 1/4" wide with white backing. Some items I want to label are wall warts. Lots of times, you will have a generic one that is not the same manufacturer as the product it was shipped to use with. I think basic label makers are pretty cheap these days and I may stop off a staples to see what they got but wondered if any particular recommendations.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://cableorganizer.com/label-printer/industrial-label-printers.htm
Rhino3000-s.jpg

. The RhinoPRO 3000 uses thermal transfer print technology to produce labels that are that are durable, smearproof, and resists chemicals, solvents, grease, heat, moisture, and other harsh elements. Available in permanent polyester, flexible nylon and heat shrink varieties, RhinoPRO labels will stick and stay stuck even in industrial environments.

I like the 3000 f/ $100 , this website gives you one for free if you buy 15 carts of tape! -- though rhino has a model 1000 at $50...

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Brother P-touch 2600. It use TZ tapes that come in the little cassettes. I like that I can do any size tape from 1/4" to 1" plus address and file folder labels. For most uses, the 2 line LCD on the machine itself is sufficient. But if I want to do something complicated or special with a lot of precision and detail, it connects to the computer via USB for WYSIWYG functionality using the included software.

cbdudley

Enlightened
+1 on the P-touch 2600. Be sure to get one that uses the TZ tapes - they come in the widest range of sizes and colors.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
I've been using a Seiko Smart Label Printer in my work office for twelve years and it still works like a champ.

Cliff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I used to use one of those Dynamo label makers; the type where you dialed in the letter you wanted on a white plastic disc and squeezed the device to both imprint the letter and advance the tape to the position it for the next letter. I've never tried one of those electronic ones though.

danielo_d

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
I used to use one of those Dynamo label makers; the type where you dialed in the letter you wanted on a white plastic disc and squeezed the device to both imprint the letter and advance the tape to the position it for the next letter. I've never tried one of those electronic ones though.
LOL, I remember those!
I hated mis-typing and then starting all over. ..then to find out the label was too long, so you had abbreviate and ...start all over. [spell check wasn't an option on those mechanical embossing Dymo labelers :) ] Oh, remember you had to cut the label, too using the appropriate character position!

Anyways, I digress. I have sheets of labels, [sorry forgot the brand] to run through our printer.
I use MicroS@ft Word - Label/envelope tool that has that label config.
Works OK. [Plain labels that wouldn't hold up against the heat of a wallwart. Sorry.]
They do have different types that may hold up. Hope this helps.
Danno

drizzle

Enlightened
Brother FT-1900. It uses the TZ labels and works fine for what it is, a simple standalone label maker. I bought it because Costco had it cheap. If I were going to do a lot of labeling I'd probably get one that could hook up to the PC.

Nebula

Enlightened
I use the Dymo 330 LabelWriter. It has served me well for a couple of years. Dymo makes approximately a dozen different sized and purposed labels.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nebula said:
I use the Dymo 330 LabelWriter. It has served me well for a couple of years. Dymo makes approximately a dozen different sized and purposed labels.

I'm looking to one of these for address labels for shipments too. Looks very nifty.. saves me having to recalibrate the laser printer all the time. And I can then switch my main printer to an inkjet for printing my photos.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:lolsign: Yes - the Wall Wart is one of my main uses for the label makers - I use a Casio and I think I've got a Brother also. Either work fine. I think I got the Casio at WalMart.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this label maker at Costco about a year and one half ago. Costco had a discount coupon.

Brother P-Touch Model # 1900/1910. Comes with an extra cartridge, size included is 12mm 1/2" Laminated white. Runs on 6AA Alkaline Batteries which were included. Has a DC In 9.5 port for DC power cord which was not included.

dsc03214smallis8.jpg

dsc03215smallrg9.jpg

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up getting the Brother PT-1830 at Staples. It was on sale for $35 and then there is another ten dollar rebate. I find the TZ catridges are expensive so I hope they last a long time. My only real complaint is that it wastes a lot of tape on the margins. You can set the margin for narrow but it only makes it narrow on one side and you have to cut off excessive tape on the other.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used them before and always had problems because after a few years the cartridges are no longer sold in the stores because they now stock the newer model which uses different ones. There needs to be a industry standard for these so one doesn't have to buy a whole new labeler every few years.
I've printed labels of various sizes with regular office type labels, if I need them a little more permanent, I'll cover them with clear shipping tape. For cables put the label on and wrap it around then cover it with clear heat shrink tubing.