Does anyone else spend an inordinant amount of time watching the BST?

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm officially addicated to the BST. I've spent the last few days contstantly watching it for a couple lights in particular and anything else interesting that might pop up. You guys are quick too :) Now that I have a few lights, trying to grab lights off the BST is way more fun than simply ordering them online.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It's almost like Las Vegas eh? :D

I probably spend too much time watching it (but it's my job!)...then again, there are some who think I don't spend enough time watching it! Can't win...always treading water! What lights are you looking for? :D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's a matter of preferences. One would at least think that within the BST you'd find lights that are of interest to a niche group even though they may command a higher asking price. But if it is something that is somewhat specialized and may only be available within that forum then it might be worth monitoring. Kind of like that other forum that you participate in, where a unique piece(s) might be available, but only from within the community and not via general availability.

dammitjim said:
I think I'm officially addicated to the BST. I've spent the last few days contstantly watching it for a couple lights in particular and anything else interesting that might pop up. You guys are quick too :) Now that I have a few lights, trying to grab lights off the BST is way more fun than simply ordering them online.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammitjim It's been all Surefires latey /QUOTE said:
awman i dont know how any one could get upset over surefires except for i cant have them all:awman:

oh and yes it seems more and more i am spending moe time in there when i first came here i would not go there cuz i could not afford them now im addicted.

cy

Flashaholic
half the fun of cpf is seeing what pops up on b/s/t :D

have always thought b/s/t is the lifeblood of cpf.
otherwise how are we going to get our flashlight "fix" :green:

it's not uncommon for deals to be snatched up in minutes with paypal sent minutes after that. IMHO it's this liquidity that sets cpf's b/s/t for flashlights apart from any other market place including ebay.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Kind of like that other forum that you participate in, where a unique piece(s) might be available, but only from within the community and not via general availability.

There are a few unique aspects of the CPF BST vs other for sale forums that I keep an eye on that really keep me coming back to it:

1. New stuff is posted constantly
2. Stuff is sold within minutes of being posted (on most forums people wait days to drop prices. here, it's hours.)
3. Since stuff sells so fast there seems to be little haggling.
4. Lights don't seem to depreciate much at all. I can buy a pile of lights on the BST, check them out, and pass along the ones I don't want to keep at a minimal loss.

All in all, a very fun FS forum :grin2:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
benchmade_boy said:
awman i dont know how any one could get upset over surefires except for i cant have them all:awman:

The first nice light I got from the BST was a Surefire, and it was just bigger than what I want right now. I've since traded it for an HDC, but I'm sure I'll pick one up once I sort out which smaller lights I really like. Of course by then it will be all ARCs on there :laughing:

Walt175

Enlightened
dammitjim said:
There are a few unique aspects of the CPF BST vs other for sale forums that I keep an eye on that really keep me coming back to it:

1. New stuff is posted constantly
2. Stuff is sold within minutes of being posted (on most forums people wait days to drop prices. here, it's hours.)
3. Since stuff sells so fast there seems to be little haggling.
4. Lights don't seem to depreciate much at all. I can buy a pile of lights on the BST, check them out, and pass along the ones I don't want to keep at a minimal loss.

All in all, a very fun FS forum :grin2:

This one is my favorite, and I'd like to add one:
5. Usually no extra charge for paypal. On most other boards I go on, people allmost always tack on an extra 4% for paypal fees.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I have a certain light in mind I'll check B/S/T quite a few times each day to maybe pick it up for a bargin but to date no real luck here. I do agree however that the thought of a great deal always lures me back.

benyosh

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed lately that i'm sleeping less because of B/S/T especially now that it's really hard to get Surefire Turboheads in HAIII. Also, the server seems to be busy more often all throughout the day. Still, CPF relaxes me.

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
I love collecting flashlights!

Name a hobby where you can get over 50% resell value on your purchases?!

Some of my lights are over 1yr old and i can easily sell them on BST for at least 1/2 the price i got it for. Maybe even 75%!
Please tell all your wives and girlfriends this fact.

wmpwi

Enlightened
I suggest a new feature, something on the order of the tape running along the bottom of the your screen showing the latest additions to the BST section (or any others for that matter). Just like CNN or MSNBC. That would be too cool, not to mention more expensive for some of us.

:sold:

Like this . .

refire Porsche Light . . . Inova XO, 4D mag, SF E2D, Inova X1*2nd Price Drop . . . For Sale: Tritium Vials . . . FS: Ion CR2 in Aluminum Bronze . . . Surefire E2E <SOLD> . . .

cy

Flashaholic
true enough... but if you purchase mint condition lights after the initial drop from retail. this is where it's not unusual to recoup 90%+ of your funds.

this means you get to enjoy use of some really nice flashlights for very little net costs. draw back is you've got a ton of $$$ tied up in lights.

as most who stick around cfp have seen... it's not unusual to see entire collections sold off to finance a broken transmission, down payment for a house, getting married, etc, etc, etc.

this where leaving sales information intact AFTER the sale really helps maintain liquidity of b/s/t. if one can look up a light's sales history, it's easy to determine value.

according to b/s/t results... traditionally Surefire and Arc's do the best on resale value for production lights. HDS and Gladius are among the worst. Custom lights are way trickier... McGizmo lights seems to do the best. in some instances actually raising in values. lately anything ti has been going nuts in value.

beefy6969 said:
I love collecting flashlights!

Name a hobby where you can get over 50% resell value on your purchases?!

Some of my lights are over 1yr old and i can easily sell them on BST for at least 1/2 the price i got it for. Maybe even 75%!
Please tell all your wives and girlfriends this fact.