Anyone else SICK & TIRED of hearing about "AI"??

LRJ88

Enlightened
Sounds to me like some people here need to read the works of Isaac Asimov before turning to absolutes. AI would depend entirely on what type of AI, why, and how. In the case of AI governing parts of humanity, read The Evitable Conflict. Today's paltry attempts at AI won't come close to that, but as i mentioned it depends so much on what type of AI it would be.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
AI sucks. My wife is a Professor and since the program turned on, Microsoft I believe, this semester, Fall of 2023, she has had numerous AI generated college papers turned in. She busts them hard, She can point out nearly every AI reference and makes recordings with video showing the paper and where the mistakes were made and how to correct it. She is very dedicated. Then they have a second chance, if they get busted, she makes another elaborate recording and instructs them to truth, then the grade is harsher. Then a 3rd time, they are sent to the Dean for discipline. Sorry Data, you are wrong here. It is NEVER better than mankind and those that learned material and share it with others. The dumbing down of the USA is real and I cannot stand to see it. Remember the comedy made about it? 100% true. Sickening really.
Yes. Idiocracy.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds to me like some people here need to read the works of Isaac Asimov before turning to absolutes. AI would depend entirely on what type of AI, why, and how. In the case of AI governing parts of humanity, read The Evitable Conflict. Today's paltry attempts at AI won't come close to that, but as i mentioned it depends so much on what type of AI it would be.
How about I, ROBOT? My name's not Spooner, but already I don't like AI.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My opinion hasn't much changed in ~8 months. What we're seeing are parlor tricks - elaborate and useful in a limited sense - but still just distilled data sets wrapped up in language or visual models.

There will be new advancements over time that might not depend on hoovering up vast amounts of training data to produce derivative responses to prompts. But in the meantime the singularity remains a rather distant prospect.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
AI sucks. My wife is a Professor and since the program turned on, Microsoft I believe, this semester, Fall of 2023, she has had numerous AI generated college papers turned in. She busts them hard, She can point out nearly every AI reference and makes recordings with video showing the paper and where the mistakes were made and how to correct it. She is very dedicated. Then they have a second chance, if they get busted, she makes another elaborate recording and instructs them to truth, then the grade is harsher. Then a 3rd time, they are sent to the Dean for discipline. Sorry Data, you are wrong here. It is NEVER better than mankind and those that learned material and share it with others. The dumbing down of the USA is real and I cannot stand to see it. Remember the comedy made about it? 100% true. Sickening really.

Yes. Idiocracy.

Thanks, I forgot the name. IDIOCRACY. I also remember I Robot but did not refence it. My wife is a true teacher, all of her life, to the point of sacrifice. She would work till 9 pm in elementary school and then work more when she got home. When others in their 20's and 30's, went home at 345 or 4, when classes were out. They were taught to end work and party or whatever (there is a little to this in moderation). She transitioned to College, got a few Masters in Reading and the Humanities, works til midnight and beyond to actually teach and make several light bulbs go off. And some of her elementary students now take her college courses. Pretty Cool really! She will occasionally get a positive message from students she had in the 1-5th grades that are now in college or now have full time jobs and they thank her and the parents do as well. There were a few parents that came to her office in elementary school and were in tears as they reported to her that it was the first time their child had read a book passage to them in their entire lives as their child could not read at all. They were shocked! My wife, I am proud of as you can tell, is a better person than me, worked with children that had severe reading issues and comprehension, and had several trainings, classes and a Masters to use techniques to get through to them. She got them to read!! Enlightenment! That is why parent cried tears in front of her. I am humble enough to say that she got the better deal. I use words like CandleLight instead of CandlePower, etc. I am not too bright with the Lumens. But to be fair, it is called FLASHLIGHT, not FLASHPOWER. C'mon man!??? BTW, my entire dissertation here was to tell Data (Olumin) he is 100% wrong. When he says man may be better off with AI, He is 100% wrong. When the guy he does not agree with controls it, he is screwed, Nuff said.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
Anyone familiar with the librarian in Snow Crash? That's what the present wave of AI reminds me of.

My impression of ChatGPT is that after but a few months of limited release it's becoming apparent that what we're being shown of it is ... less than the hype would have us believe. The language model is impressive and the depths of information upon which it can draw is immense. But it's also not quite the semi-sentient thing that it's been proclaimed to be, but rather a sophisticated distillation engine that can parse years of training data to deliver a highly refined derivative summary of what the past thought about the subject then refine the inquiry further upon request.

Stable Diffusion seems to work in a similar fashion, visually.

I suspect that the dependence on vast quantities of open training data - and the need to continuously refresh it - may lead to a feedback loop as its own outputs seed the web and start to become inputs.
I 100% agree. But could you put it in layman's terms? Please. ? No doubt you know your words and meaning... BUT? My wife is a Professor, at a college, with a few Masters. I used to proof all of her papers when she was in school, not long ago and I am in my 60's. But we still can communicate without using above 3rd through 5th grade education, (from the 60's and 70's). Your words: 3rd line: semi-sentient, distillation engine, parse years, derivative summary, past thought, refine the inquiry? 4th line: Stable Diffusion, a similar fashion visually? 5th line: dependence on vast quantities, continuously refresh (easiest grade level yet), feedback loop (wow. so impressed), outputs seed, starts to become inputs? Really? I agree with you, but not your trying to impress us with words show. Keep it real. Keep it 3rd grade. If you want to talk to professors with the English language, this is NOT the form. At least I do not think? I agree with you and can keep up, but, Good Grief, who speaks like that? I know a few, and they think their crap does not smell. You? Now, i am proud of you for being educated, WAIT!! I take that back, you sued Friggin AI and are not real. *******!!! LOL

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
I 100% agree. But could you put it in layman's terms? Please. ? No doubt you know your words and meaning... BUT? My wife is a Professor, at a college, with a few Masters. I used to proof all of her papers when she was in school, not long ago and I am in my 60's. But we still can communicate without using above 3rd through 5th grade education, (from the 60's and 70's). Your words: 3rd line: semi-sentient, distillation engine, parse years, derivative summary, past thought, refine the inquiry? 4th line: Stable Diffusion, a similar fashion visually? 5th line: dependence on vast quantities, continuously refresh (easiest grade level yet), feedback loop (wow. so impressed), outputs seed, starts to become inputs? Really? I agree with you, but not your trying to impress us with words show. Keep it real. Keep it 3rd grade. If you want to talk to professors with the English language, this is NOT the form. At least I do not think? I agree with you and can keep up, but, Good Grief, who speaks like that? I know a few, and they think their crap does not smell. You? Now, i am proud of you for being educated, WAIT!! I take that back, you sued Friggin AI and are not real. *******!!! LOL
Supposed to say, You USED Friggin AI. I stand by all else. Keeping it real, keeping it light... I mean , Power.

MatthewMurdock

Newly Enlightened
There was a recent AI written article talking about the actor Val Kilmer. There were way too many mistakes were it kept using female pronouns referring to Val himself.

Paraphrasing a quote....
Never attribute to malice that can be attributed to incompetency..... or something like that.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was a recent AI written article talking about the actor Val Kilmer. There were way too many mistakes were it kept using female pronouns referring to Val himself.

Paraphrasing a quote....
Never attribute to malice that can be attributed to incompetency..... or something like that.
Have you seen Val lately? Maybe the AI was right. More and more celebs keep coming out of the closet! Must be a TARDIS! So many coming out of a closet... :eek:

LRJ88

Enlightened
How about I, ROBOT? My name's not Spooner, but already I don't like AI.
I, Robot, the movie, was to the source material what The Rings of Power is to the Lord of the Rings books. It takes a few things and then completely warps the whole thing. On a technical standpoint it's not a bad movie, but it's nowhere close what the books depict.

My opinion hasn't much changed in ~8 months. What we're seeing are parlor tricks - elaborate and useful in a limited sense - but still just distilled data sets wrapped up in language or visual models.

There will be new advancements over time that might not depend on hoovering up vast amounts of training data to produce derivative responses to prompts. But in the meantime the singularity remains a rather distant prospect.
I'm not talking about what we're seeing today either, as mentioned what we're seeing today is paltry in comparison.

The short story The Evitable Conflict deals with robots as rulers, but also stays within the confines of the laws of robotics. If you had a ruler, or something akin to that in power, whose sole job was to decrease suffering while also trying to look at what's coming further down the line and how to best serve humanity you have a very interesting contradiction. The robots in the book were causing minor harm to some individuals in order to make sure that the robots themselves could stay longer, but they needed to stay longer in order to get humanity to a point where we're past bickering over silly things, once we're at that spot those robots would deactivate since that's the end of their purpose. AI now is just taking what's already there and feverishly dreaming poop up with no actual thoughts or directions.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The short story The Evitable Conflict deals with robots as rulers, but also stays within the confines of the laws of robotics. If you had a ruler, or something akin to that in power, whose sole job was to decrease suffering while also trying to look at what's coming further down the line and how to best serve humanity you have a very interesting contradiction. The robots in the book were causing minor harm to some individuals in order to make sure that the robots themselves could stay longer, but they needed to stay longer in order to get humanity to a point where we're past bickering over silly things, once we're at that spot those robots would deactivate since that's the end of their purpose. AI now is just taking what's already there and feverishly dreaming poop up with no actual thoughts or directions.
Sort of how I feel about the entire thing. If anything, humans have proven repeatedly that they're unable to govern themselves. When was the last time there were no wars or conflicts on the planet? Certainly not in my lifetime. I don't know if there's any time in history that some faction wasn't trying to control another against their will. Besides that, we're like a virus that mindlessly consumes everything in the interests of profit (another manmade invention). So assuming we ever got to the point of having AI as advanced as in that story, why not put them in charge, knowing they'll deactivate once humans have evolved past the point of being a primitive, self-destructive species? Remember it's not just humans at stake. If we continue on the path of destroying the planet, we'll be taking untold numbers of other species with us. We don't have that right. As Keanu Reeves said in The Day The Earth Stood Still "It's not your planet."

Instead of looking at the potential negatives of AI let's look at the positives. A world directed by AI would have robots doing all the dirty work of society, leaving people free to pursue more creative endeavors. There would be no more need for money. You want something, the machines make it for you. When you no longer need it, it's recycled, and the materials reused for items others might want. There's no more need for money, which by extension means no more rich (or poor) people. Without concentrations of wealth, small numbers of rich people can no longer control the masses. With all material, and many other desires, satisfied, the motivation for most crimes is gone. I'll take this over what we have now, which is basically dystopia, any day.

Of course, it's an open question whether or not AI would ever become advanced enough to take over. If we look at every prior invention, eventually you reach an asymptote where it takes lots of time to make only minor further advances.