Fenix L0P-SE (almost) saved my life !

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
I am the proud owner of this nice flashlight and last sunday, my girlfriend and me went for a trip into a forest.
The forest of Fontainebleau in France is quite big and loaded with nice and beautiful animals.

We were in the woods at nightfall and far away from the "exit".

Of course I had a map and a button compass, but whitout my Fenix L0P SE, this little trip ended has a nightmare.

It was a pitch black night and a real field test for this "sissy" flashlight : oh boy ! The throw was quite impressive...
I put it on with the 4.5 lumens mode, but after a two hours walk tru the woods the bim started to fade away, I was a little bit afraid because I had no spare batteries. From time to time I switched it off to save the batt, while remembering the path I illuminated the second before, keep'on walking.
My only other flashlight was a chinese-photon-keychain-freebie. My girlfriend forgot to take her Fenix E0 !
Fortunately we went out of the forest safely, without a broken bone .

Next time I will take 2 flashlights with me : Fenix L0P SE & Arc AAA P and 1 AAA spare battery.

I use Sanyo Ni-Mh AAA 900 in order to save money and reduce pollution, do you consider safer to keep a primary for extra batt. or a rechargable is better ? I worry aboutself discharge.

How many flashlights and what flashlights you carry for an outdoor trip in winter ? Why ?
What do you favor : AA, AAA, CR123 ? Why ?
How may spare batt. do you bring along ?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Etienne1980 said:
How many flashlights and what flashlights you carry for an outdoor trip in winter ? Why ?

Hello Etienne1980 and welcome at CPF:)

Nice story:)

As for your question, it depends on the time,( how long the trip will be) and the circumstances, (be able to recharge akku-cells?).

In generally (for me) 2 lights or more are a must. Nimh-cells I'll use in lights which I often use. So not a great problem about self-discharge. As spare for these lights, Alkys or better Lithiums (depends what you are willing to spend).

I really like lights too, which uses protected LiIons besides CR123 primarys.
In both cases low selfdischarge, so long storage times are not a problem.
With these lights, I'll take with me on the trip a few LiIons and charger(small package) and primarys too.

Best regards

_____
Tom

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Etienne1980 said:
Next time I will take 2 flashlights with me : Fenix L0P SE & Arc AAA P and 1 AAA spare battery.

I use Sanyo Ni-Mh AAA 900 in order to save money and reduce pollution, do you consider safer to keep a primary for extra batt. or a rechargable is better ? I worry aboutself discharge.

Welcome to CPF Etienne1980 :)

A good story about the goodness of a multi-level flashlight. Nice to have a cannon but when it really counts, a low level of light with a long runtime is best.

For an outdoor trip in the winter with other people coming along, I would carry three lights. My FireFlyIII on my keychain which is a rechargable 3.6V lithium-ion (RCR123) and will run 16 hours on level 2 as low, 1.5 hours on level 10 medium and for a minute or two to prevent overheating on burst high.

On a neck lanyard, I'd have my Peak Baltic single AAA Luxeon light loaded with a lithium AAA battery. Gives 5 hours of regulated brightness with another two of declining output. A great little walking around light that is comfortable enough for neck carry.

The third is an old Arc AA light that uses a single 5mm LED. Gives enough punch for walking around and 12+ hours of runtime on an alkaline. That would be the light I would lend out to another person as it is durable, very small, gives enough light to see in the darkness and will last all night if need be.

You are worried about self discharge, get some of those Sanyo Eneloop slow self discharge NiMH AAA cells. They can sit over a year and self-discharge about 20%.

Since you like the Fenix AAA lights, the E0 would be a great choice since it can run around 12 hours on a single AAA alkaline.

If you want a really looooong running single AA Luxeon light, you can special order a Peak Pacific with AA body and the low power option. Since the "normal" version will run 12.9 hours in regulation on a lithium AA, the low power (half of normal) should stretch that past 26 hours. It would be my choice is the temps drop far below freezing as the lithium primary chemistry is very resistant to cold. They cost around US $55 or so.

Last edited:

ledvador

Newly Enlightened
Salut Etienne!
Bienvenu parmis nous. Je vois que nous somme voisin.
Good happy end, c'est vrai qu'il fesait pas très chaud dans notre région la semaine dernière.
Actualy i carry 2 light, one Fenix L0P and one Exolion TI made by Gregw a member from here. The Exolion is very bright on burst mode for a short time and could give a long run time onlow level. If your are interessted you could find a nice version aviable of Exolion in stainless steel here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/124448

Etienne1980 said:
I am the proud owner of this nice flashlight and last sunday, my girlfriend and me went for a trip into a forest.
The forest of Fontainebleau in France is quite big and loaded with nice and beautiful animals.

We were in the woods at nightfall and far away from the "exit".

Of course I had a map and a button compass, but whitout my Fenix L0P SE, this little trip ended has a nightmare.

It was a pitch black night and a real field test for this "sissy" flashlight : oh boy ! The throw was quite impressive...
I put it on with the 4.5 lumens mode, but after a two hours walk tru the woods the bim started to fade away, I was a little bit afraid because I had no spare batteries. From time to time I switched it off to save the batt, while remembering the path I illuminated the second before, keep'on walking.
My only other flashlight was a chinese-photon-keychain-freebie. My girlfriend forgot to take her Fenix E0 !
Fortunately we went out of the forest safely, without a broken bone .

Forget about NiMH as a spare unless you can get into the habit of recharging before the trip everytime. Alkaline doesn't perform so well under heavy load, which is what "high setting" is considered by the battery.

In my opinion, lithium AAA L92 by Energizer/Eveready is the best due to their extremely long shelf-life and the ability to deliver power under heavy load if it's at all available in France. You might end up paying $5-10 ea considering they're around $2-3 ea in the US, but treat it like a road flare. Don't use it unnecessarily.

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for replies !
I think you are right Handlobraesing, lithium will be fine but it costs a lot around here, price is almost 8$ a couple.
Half a hour ago we were watching TV when a power outtage started, I'll tell you about it tomorrow !

ledvador

Newly Enlightened
Etienne1980 said:
Thank you for replies !
I think you are right Handlobraesing, lithium will be fine but it costs a lot around here, price is almost 8$ a couple.
Half a hour ago we were watching TV when a power outtage started, I'll tell you about it tomorrow !

LOL!!
Where are you living Etienne?, i get this power outtage too.
My girl friend where in the shower, i helped her to finish with my Arc LS powered by 2 Energizer lithium. She know now that my light are realy usefull
I walked around the street with a MB3W powered by a protected R123 to check if the black-out was just the house or all the village.
Energizer lithium is aviable in france but realy expensive compared to the low cost of the Alkaline. However it's a best choice to use in a light stored for long time or used just a few minute a month.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think you and your girlfriend should each have a coin cell LED light (Photon, "Fauxton" or whatever) on your keychain regardless of whatever other light you carry. Even if you have a spare battery for your Fenix it does not protect you from a failure of the electronics. So it's best to have a completely independent spare light, instead of a spare battery.

The coin cell lights run for a very long time, though they get dimmer and dimmer. But even after 10 hours nonstop, they still make enough light to walk in the dark.

For a spare AAA I'd choose an alkaline rather than a NiMH (low cost and long "shelf life"). The L92 lithium is also a good choice because of its cold weather performance. Yes it's expensive but since it's a spare, normally you will not use it.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it ALMOST saved your life, then how could you write your story? :naughty:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA's are pretty small so I would definately have a few spares on me if I were on a hike like that. If you are using the light often then I'd buy the cheaper alk batts but if you want a back up that you may not use for an extended period of time then the lithiums are the go.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
meep.... i reckon you take something that uses AA, cr123 or cr2 batt(s)...

at least you will have more time till the battery is discharged to almost useless.

bizzybody

Newly Enlightened
ledvador said:
LOL!!
Where are you living Etienne?, i get this power outtage too.
My girl friend where in the shower, i helped her to finish with my Arc LS powered by 2 Energizer lithium.

Might want to create your own power outage with a little help from the circuit breakers for the bathroom lights... :naughty:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Etienne,
I would take two AAA lights - a bright one (like Fenix L0P) and a long-running one (like new Fenix E0 or ARC AAA).
For backup batteries I would carry Lithium AAAs - In my experience NiMHs self-discharge in a matter of weeks.
Personally I prefer AA lights - not much bigger, but proportionally much more power in the batteries.
How nice to live in Paris! When I visit next, I'll bring all my lights just in case.
HTH

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
If it ALMOST saved your life, then how could you write your story? :naughty:

You must be joking. I guess... I could write the story after a cold night in the woods, walking and falling in the dark woods, covered with mud all over, wet and miserable...

My L0P SE was attached to my pants with a long leach, you know you freak the hell out when you are under such stressful situations : shaky hands, tiny flashlight, wrong move, it falls into the mud, it is lost forever and you just can cry and start to panic.

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
To LEDVADOR : I live in a small suburb near Paris. The power outtage lasted a couple of hours. When it started I was hysterical. I shouted out loud in english :
"Power-outtage ! Power-outtage ! To the flashlights ! I expect that every flashlight aboard will keep on his duty !!!
I grabbed my NiteIze modded Mini-M@g with the orange filter to get my Fenix L0P-SE in order to swich it in the candle position to light up the living room. I put my Arc AAA P onto my neck "just in case I drop my M@g". I was perfectly happy, I was waiting for it !
My only concern was about our turtle : she needs to be in hot water to live and the heating device is electrical. So, it was a matter of life and death.

To FrankMaddix : "In my experience NiMHs self-discharge in a matter of weeks."
Oh yes ! I got Ni-Mh AA for my pentax DSLR camera and self discharge is really a problem.
"How nice to live in Paris! When I visit next, I'll bring all my lights just in case."
Do not forget to bring a good pair of trainers to escape thugs and gangs. Do not expect to defend yourself or you will go to jail. In France too you are guilty until proven innocent.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Etienne1980 said:
To LEDVADOR : I live in a small suburb near Paris. The power outtage lasted a couple of hours. When it started I was hysterical. I shouted out loud in english :
"Power-outtage ! Power-outtage ! To the flashlights ! I expect that every flashlight aboard will keep on his duty !!!
I grabbed my NiteIze modded Mini-M@g with the orange filter to get my Fenix L0P-SE in order to swich it in the candle position to light up the living room. I put my Arc AAA P onto my neck "just in case I drop my M@g". I was perfectly happy, I was waiting for it !
My only concern was about our turtle : she needs to be in hot water to live and the heating device is electrical. So, it was a matter of life and death.

To FrankMaddix : "In my experience NiMHs self-discharge in a matter of weeks."
Oh yes ! I got Ni-Mh AA for my pentax DSLR camera and self discharge is really a problem.
"How nice to live in Paris! When I visit next, I'll bring all my lights just in case."
Do not forget to bring a good pair of trainers to escape thugs and gangs. Do not expect to defend yourself or you will go to jail. In France too you are guilty until proven innocent.
Thanks for the tip re. muggers! Although in 2005 I stayed in La Defense & walked in, and didn't feel threatened. Has it got worse in 2006? In Barcelona I got mugged and won! (broke the hand of the mugger's accomplice, which I found in my pocket). This was a real shock as I am not a violent person. Nobody arrested me, people clapped.
Should I bring my Surefire L2 to Paris for defensive reasons?

paulr

Flashaholic
Etienne, yes, EngrPaul was making a joke, he interpreted "it almost saved your life" to mean it was not quite successful at saving your life ;)

Anyway welcome to CPF, and I'm sorry if there were any misunderstandings. Paris is a great place and I have felt perfectly safe when I've gone there. The scariest experience I had was that I got very lost one night and couldn't find my way back to where I was staying, but some guys in a bar helped me.

If you send me your address by PM, I'll mail you a few Fauxtons. I really enjoy giving them away because people who haven't had them before are always surprised at how useful they are. I've bought hundreds of them over the years for this purpose.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Etienne1980 said:

Winter or summer, I usually carry 2 lights on my body (Peak Matterhorn AAA on my keys and Fenix L1P on my belt). And when I have my backpack with me (which I usually have) I have a Nuwai Q3 running on RCR123 and a Surefire L4 on 17670, This way I got brightness, runtime and easily obtained batterysizes all within reach. Often I will throw another 1 or 2 lights in my pack depending on where I'm going or what I'm going to do. For winters the Streamlight Propoly 4AA luxeon is great. The poly body is more comfy to hold in cold weather and the shape and size allow for easy operation wearing gloves. Also the runtime on NiMHs is great, although performance of NiMHs can drop under cold circumstances.
And for the amount of spares? I usually have a small tupperware box in my pack containing 2x RCR123, 1x17670, some primary 123s, 4xNiMH AA, 2xNiMH AAA, 1 cellphone battery. Usually I toss in a 10 pack of alkaline AAs and a 10 pack of alkaline AAAs too.