Looking for mag light parts? 6 D CELL

jackpot316

Newly Enlightened
I have this 6 D CELL BLACK mag light, I think it has a bad switch and missing the bulb I bought it cheap a few years ago at a shop that was closing down, I think I payed a buck for it. Can I find parts to fix it and also what is some good mod's I MIGHT can do ????

Meduza

Enlightened
http://www.flashlightking.com/parts.html

Good mod?

Get a aluminium reflector, people sell these here at the forums, and get six NiMh D-size cells (like the CTA 11Ah cells from thomas-distrubuting) and finish of with changing the bulb to a Pelican 3854 High (ROP High) from lighthound.

This is a 6D ROP, real high-power with over 2h runtime :D

Last edited:

jackpot316

Newly Enlightened
Meduza said:
http://www.flashlightking.com/parts.html

Good mod?

Get a aluminium reflector, people sell these here at the forums, and get six NiMh D-size cells (like the CTA 11Ah cells from thomas-distrubuting) and finish of with changing the bulb to a Pelican 3854 High (ROP High) from lighthound.

This is a 6D ROP, real high-power with over 2h runtime :D
ok cool now who sale's the reflectors?
I just checked the price on these battery's you recommended and it would be 64.87 for 3 twin packs I just can not see putting that much in batt WONT some cheaper ones work just as good?

Last edited:

Lightmania

Enlightened
Last edited:

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
jackpot316 said:
ok cool now who sale's the reflectors?
I just checked the price on these battery's you recommended and it would be 64.87 for 3 twin packs I just can not see putting that much in batt WONT some cheaper ones work just as good?

The CTA 11 Ah cells are the 'real deal'. As far as I know they are the best available. You can certainly buy cheaper and provided you dont buy total junk all you would probably notice is a reduced runtime. If you go really cheap you may well end up with D's that only really have the capacity of AA's (thats because they -are- AA's just made in a larger form factor.) Go down this route and the batts may well not be able to supply the current that the ROP bulb needs resulting in a much dimmer light.

I would encourage anyone to build a ROP. A 6D version is especially easy as there's no battery carrier to worry about. If you havent seen a really bright light before (A stock 6 cell Mag doesnt count here) you will be astounded the first time you fire up your creation
grinser2.gif

Simon

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to find a bulb locally at a hardware store, you can use a KPR118 bulb. The switch is a warranty item that Mag will replace. If you want brighter output, you can put in a Mag-Num Star 6 cell bulb and use the factory reflector and lens, along with alkaline batteries that will not entail the $60-70 investment for NiMH batteries. If you choose to go the route with the ROP modification, you'll probably need the NiMH batteries solely because of the current that is being drawn by the bulb.

The Mag 6D Xenon bulbs are available in some stores, but not all, and their availability would be dependent upon your locale.

jackpot316 said:
I have this 6 D CELL BLACK mag light, I think it has a bad switch and missing the bulb I bought it cheap a few years ago at a shop that was closing down, I think I payed a buck for it. Can I find parts to fix it and also what is some good mod's I MIGHT can do ????

jackpot316

Newly Enlightened
No one still has told me where I can this aluminium reflecto for this lite UNLESS I missed something???

jackpot316

Newly Enlightened
This would be one high $ light

Reflector=25.00
Borofloat lens=5.50
Pelican 3854 bulb=8.00
Titanium NIMH rechargeable batteries 9.80x6=58.80
CHARGER=27.00
Total=$124.30
This is just to much to put into this old lite I WONDER if this same mod could be done with a 2 d cell that would sure bring the price down???

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could use a 2D light with 6 AA NiMH batteries, but you'll still have to replace the reflector and lens and you'll still need a charger if you don't already have one.

If you want a low cost solution, why don't you just put a Xenon bulb in the light, and use alkaline D cells. The output should be the same as http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_2c-123a_mod.htm
and you'll have a 10+ hour run time. It doesn't require much of an investment and you can try this out first before dumping a ton of money into the light. This, of course, is presuming that you do have a stock reflector and lens for the light and that the switch is working.

jackpot316 said:
This would be one high $ light

Reflector=25.00
Borofloat lens=5.50
Pelican 3854 bulb=8.00
Titanium NIMH rechargeable batteries 9.80x6=58.80
CHARGER=27.00
Total=$124.30
This is just to much to put into this old lite I WONDER if this same mod could be done with a 2 d cell that would sure bring the price down???