Flashlightus Interruptus or: What to Buy While I Wait

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Early this year I got on a pre-order list for a SureFire Kroma Milspec. They were supposedly due in a few weeks. Well, SureFire was wrong. Still no Kroma Milspec.

Then I decided I would finally buy a Photon Proton. It looked like maybe kinks had finally been worked out, and they were on sale, so I ordered. Backordered till January.

Ughh.

In the mean time I have purchased two SureFire A2s, but for other people. I did get a blue SureFire L1, but to tell you the truth, I am not much of a "blue guy."

The Kroma is paid for, and the Proton isn't that expensive. I think I am about to fall off the wagon again by adding another light to my collection.

I was hoping you guys could suggest a light.

I am a reliability freak and I like quality. Some lights I am considering;

Streamlight Survivor LED
SureFire L1 Green
Turbo head for my SureFire M3

I don't care about battery type. This light should be useful, durable, and well made, but really it is just for my collection. Bottom line is I am looking for a fun light to play with.

Absolute max budget is $200.

Any suggestions?

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a Cree light. Perhaps a Aleph19 2x123a one? Since there isn't any other prebuilt Cree lights out yet... IIRC its like 230-255 +25 shipping? Somewhere around there. There are used ones for sale too popping up. There are 1x123a ones but I'd prefer a 2 cell for longer runtime, less heat, etc.

If you haven't heard about the Cree craze, you have a lot of reading to do.

Or if you are a modder or poor like me you could buy a cree led and mod a light. :D

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could stretch to around $230, I would recommend a Gladius and FM34. It's my favorite light - if I could only EDC one flashlight, it would be that (fortunately, I am able to carry four lights wherever I go).

If you're considering a Survivor LED, make sure it's a new one with the battery carrier fix.

A headlight is extremely useful, and the PT Apex (or 2xCR123A Apex Pro) has a great reputation for reliability.

I can't quite figure out why you want a useful, durable, and well-made light if it's just to play around with. If you want something impractical and fun, build a hotwire. Those are extremely entertaining! :grin2:

Sable

Enlightened
Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

A hand-selected premium-bin Lux3 of your choice and a McG reflector make the L1 a far more useful light. Nice hotspot with a beautiful, wide artifact-free spillbeam. It throws pretty well and my first battery's still going strong. I'm super happy with mine.