Orb Raw or Raw NS for my sister

Repo

Newly Enlightened
My sister will be turning 19 very soon. I want to get her a nice flashlight she can carry but I can't decide between the Orb Raw and the Orb Raw NS. I have never used either of them, I have a Fenix L0p.se.

The Orbs look very pretty and are impressively bright so I hope she won't be too horified receiving a flashlight for her birthday.

Anyway, which one do you think would be better?

How much smaller is the Raw NS? I can't find any comparison pictures.

Last edited:

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
:laughing: That's how I read the title too..... :laughing:

She will love the RAW NS. Get her that with the pink trits...

:thumbsup: WP

creampuff

Newly Enlightened
Correct me if i am wrong, but the batteries for the NS are still unprotected. It may be safer for someone who doesn't want to have to worry about discharge and overcharge issues, by getting the the Raw with protected AW batteries?

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Ns but I wouldn't give it to a non Flashaholic for the reason creampuff mentioned. A protected CR2 in a Raw will do the trick. Save you some money for flowers too.

Just because she is your sister doesn't mean you can't buy her flowers!

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
If I can help...look at my picture the raw NS is on the left, and next to it it's the Raw...I am sure she'll prefer the Raw NS..

Happy birthday to her ;)

rawvscr2.jpg

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I own the Raw Ns, and I think the Raw Ns is definitely the better looker (which is one of the reasons I chose it over the Raw)... however, the regular Raw with the U-bin will be the brighter one. there are also silver and titanium versions, which are/can be made to order i believe.

.. but having said that, I agree with Creampuff and Concept above. You will want to make sure that you and her are both fully aware of the dangers of using unprotected li-on batteries. they don't take kindly to overdischarge, which is very easy to do in all of the Raws.

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Repo said:
My sister will be turning 19 very soon. I want to get her a nice flashlight she can carry but I can't decide between the Orb Raw and the Orb Raw NS...
I've had both, and the my Raw Ns has a more quality, "weighted", jewelry-like appearance, fit and finish. The regular Raw was brighter and the beam somewhat narrower, but for general use by a non-flashaholic, not sure that's important.

OTOH both have non-captive tail springs, which can easily fall out and get lost. Both batteries require magnets to fit a nano charger. These items are nothing to us flashaholics but might seem intimidating to others.

An alternative might be a Fenix P1 running an R123A and a nano charger, or just a Fenix L1T running an alkaline AA (common battery, no recharger to fool with). All are small enough to fit in most purses.