Dorcey 6 AA "80 lumen" led- Is it Really?

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
Sportsmans has a Dorcey LED pretty long light that uses 6 AAs. Package

says 80 watts. Anyone bite on this one? Is it really 80 lumens? Cheap

entry again, if it really is.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Do you have a picture or something? I've never heard of this light. Sounds like it would make a great baton, provided it's made from aluminum.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just went over to the Dorcy website looking for this. There are NO products in the high powered flashlight section. No Super 1 watt, No Metal Gear, nuthin'. Looks like Dorcy is revamping it's whole power LED lineup to compete with the MagLEDs.
EDIT
Thanks to bitslammerin the next post I found it.
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414278

6AA batteries =7.2-9 volts. They could be using a Lux5. A fully driven Lux5 should give 125 lumens. With 65% transmission that will produce 80 lumens out the front of the light.

How much is the light?

Last edited:

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i had one and took it back. it had a s-bin 3 watt in it. it did have a nice beam and throw for a 1/2 hour or so with the batt it comes with .i ran rechargeables in it for around 2 hours of good out put.,the led saw 3.3 volts. the same light in the 3 cell
s-bin was getting 3.20 volts .i would get the 3 watt sportsmans brand light. i have one and love it. more light and run time 2 hours of very bright light off 2 cr123's same price for the light. the only way i would say get this light is if you have six rechargeables on hand. and a S-BIN is 67 lumens max no were near 80 lumens. it would need a u-bin to reach 80+ lumens.

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
LEDninja said:
EDIT
Thanks to bitslammerin the next post I found it.
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414278

6AA batteries =7.2-9 volts. They could be using a Lux5. A fully driven Lux5 should give 125 lumens. With 65% transmission that will produce 80 lumens out the front of the light.

How much is the light?

I looked at this 3.85 watt, 80 lumen Dorcy at Sportsmans Warehouse. Their price is $39.99 before tax. If their claims are true I'd pick it up and run NiMH in it. I've been waiting for some reports on it before buying. SW has had 5 on the hooks for a month, no one seems like being the $40 guinea pig...:)

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bitslammer the link is the one I saw, 6 AAAs Dorcey.

Thank you Dimlight. I also bought probably the first SW 3 watt and took it back twice.
I need a momentary switch with my lights. Great first light for the $$$ in my mind.

I saw one package of a new light yesterday stating a Huge lumen rating at 2 inches
..... at least they were "honest" on that one. Guess there are no standards on how they rate their light output. In store comparisons are the best way I've seen so far.

BTW, I tried the SW 12volt incan. Also got the perfomance head from Cabelas which
has the same light with a different name on it. The amount of useable light has me
itching to see what the Cree models will look like and put the brakes on any further
current led purchases.

oregon

Enlightened
Dorcy3watt3.jpg

Dorcy3watt3-1.jpg

I have both the Dorcy 3 and 3.85 watt flashlights. I like both. Instant favorites.

Got the 3 watt from Sears during a 3 day sale for $20. Just bought the 3.85 watt at Sportsman's Warehouse (on 82nd in Portland, Oregon) for $40. Both came with Energizer Alkaline batteries.

The fit and finish on both is excellent. They are both finished with moderately shiny black (except for the "Dorcy" name/logo which is a dull white color). The 3.85 has great texturing while the 3 has some texturing but is mostly smooth surfaced. Both have lanyard pins in the tailcap but w/o lanyards they sit nicely in candle mode.

The light from the 3.85 is yellowish/white while the light from the 3 is purple/white. The 3.85 has the larger spill and brighter beam by a small margin.

Both have a polycarbonate lens (which don't look to be easily removed).

Both have deep reflectors (which, also, don't look like they are easily removed).

Both have battery carriers. The 3 watt has 3 AAAs while the 3.85 has 6 AAAs.

The on/off rubber side buttons have a great tactile feel and the switching is near silent, quick and short.

The 3.85 looks substantially larger: longer by 2 inches, 1/8 inch thicker diameter and 1/4 inch wider head (outside measurement). The reflector is about 3/8 inch wider on the 3.85. And, on the 3.85, the control button is recessed into the body about twice as much as that of the 3 watt.

The batteries load easily into their carriers and the carriers load easily into their bodies. All serviceable joints have rubber o-rings.

Oh, almost forgot, does either produce 80 lumens? I can't say. Does anyone have a reliable, inexpensive and easy way to measure actual lumens out the front? Perhaps if there were a tuning fork standard for lumens as in is it less bright, as bright or more bright than a standard know-lumen light source.

All the best,

oregon

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many companies, Dorcy OEMs their flashlights...in other words, someone else makes it for them. Their 3W model looks exactly like the 3W Element flashlight you could buy from Sam's Club, except that it's black. The 2-pack you can get at Sam's club costs around $30 and they're silver/aluminum color. Knowing Dorcy, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same light. And if that's the case, the 3W Luxeon Star inside has poor heatsinking as it does not make contact with the flashlight housing. It's bright, but who knows how long the LED will last before it gets fried...

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I must correct myself in saying that the Dorcy 3W looks exactly like the Element 1W...still, I'm not too confident of its thermal managment ability.

oregon

Enlightened
bullinchinashop said:
I'd be all over this light if it was 3 C or 3 D.
I don't know why they went with 6 AA in a carrier. 3 C wouldn't have been that much longer...

I don't know why. I can only speculate: 1. Perhaps the designer values the philosophy that "small is beautiful" 2. More voltage is available with three AAAs than with two Cs and more voltage was needed to drive the LED for the desired lumen output.

Personally, I find both lights irresistable as a $60 package. The only feature I don't like is my inability to easily replace the plastic lens with a glass lens (which I would do in order to: slow scratching plus let more light out the front).

All the best,

oregon