Pacific Northwest USA members

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful in the coming bad storm, watch out for flying and falling debris, dont touch any fallen lines, and may your lights provide you what you need.

Take care, be safe and know prayers are with you.

VWTim

Enlightened
Thanks for the warning. We got some good wind here. No power from 7? until ~5am. Made for an EXCELLENT CPF GTG last night tho :)

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many trees down and lots of power outages in the night. ( Thurs night 14th Dec )
However in my area it was not as bad as expected

drizzle

Enlightened
I never lost power and now it looks like I won't. Of course it would have been nice to play with the lights but now I don't have to worry about what to throw out of the fridge.

There are people all around me without power, reportedly 1 million. My parents don't have it and may not for a while to come. With so many out there will likely be many thousands that don't get it back for several days.

drizzle

Enlightened
BTW, even tho I never lost power I have a story...

Last night I decided to test out my preparedness if the power did suddenly go out. I got out my P1 and went into the bathroom with all the house lights off and set it on it's tail on the counter. It made a nice fairly bright glow bouncing off the ceiling. Then, right when I was in a position where I couldn't easily reach a light switch or another flashlight, the P1 went out! What a time to find out that when it uses up the battery there is no faint glow just dead darkness! Well, I managed to get to a light switch anyway but I have to rethink the P1 as my sole "on hand" light. I had plenty of others spread around the house in expectation of an outage but only the P1 on me.

VWTim

Enlightened
drizzle said:
BTW, even tho I never lost power I have a story...

Last night I decided to test out my preparedness if the power did suddenly go out. I got out my P1 and went into the bathroom with all the house lights off and set it on it's tail on the counter. It made a nice fairly bright glow bouncing off the ceiling. Then, right when I was in a position where I couldn't easily reach a light switch or another flashlight, the P1 went out! What a time to find out that when it uses up the battery there is no faint glow just dead darkness! Well, I managed to get to a light switch anyway but I have to rethink the P1 as my sole "on hand" light. I had plenty of others spread around the house in expectation of an outage but only the P1 on me.

My answer to that is "two is one, one is none" always have a backup.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are all doomed if something serious ever happens. First the entire island of Oahu (900k people) went dark because of an earthquake 150 miles away. Now entire towns have gone dark, with over 1 million people out of power and a state of emergency declared... when the maximum sustained wind speed in the city was just 47mph (gusts to 68). Some outlying areas may not have power restored for up to five days.
rant.gif

Just goes to show how fragile our infrastructure really is.

Oh well, more time to play with flashlights...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I hope everyone in the PNW is all right.

I heard a story today that the local TV stations were airing their regular syndicated daytime programming instead of offering a decent amount of ongoing storm coverage. Hard to imagine and I hope that rumor isn't true.
:scowl:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you have ESP like BVH, oregonshooter! I'd say Katrina was pretty serious, with gusts to 125mph in Slidell and 140mph on the coast.

oregonshooter

Enlightened
I was serious about "what storm?" I live here and it's no different today than it has been all week. Pretty mild right now. Haven't heard any warnings, power outs, nothing. Funny to get my local news from CPF before I read it in the papers.

Charlie Fox

Newly Enlightened
Never lost power at home, but the restraunt we were having our Shift Christmas dinner at did...still got the bill though;)

We didn't get it as bad as south of us - still a LOT of areas without power. No beter time for one's EDC toys!

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I just got my power back last night. I had been out of power for 7 days from the Thursday night storm. I was using my flashlights every day. I live in Seatac. It wasn't so much the lighting that was a problem for me, but the heating. My apartment has no fireplace, and I couldn't run propane heaters or camp stoves indoors, due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Doing sponge baths with 40 degree water is no fun at all.