What do you drive? Retake

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ok,everyone posted a picture of themselves, now lets see what you drive, I'll start with my truck:
2001 Montero Sport
3" lift, Piaa 520 Off road lights, Adjustable Air suspension, Yakima Roof Rack with 2 bike holder, Weatherflector, 33" tires, Tow package with hitch step, Go Rhino full Brush Guard, Air Locker, Fog Lights, Wind Fairing, Cargo cage in rear compartment(barely visible). I'll see if the wife will let me take a picture of our car
grin.gif

fd22c2c3.jpg

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It's a 1999 Dodge Intrepid with a 24 valve, 2.7L V-6. It's outfitted with a Kenwood D-700 2M/70CM 50w Ham radio, Garmin 35 GPS, and a Panasonic CF-25 Laptop, which comprises my mobile APRS (Automatic Positioning Radio System)system. This allows me to see where other storm chasers with similar equipment and myself, are are located on a computer generated map.

intrepid.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Honda Civic HX, 2000, with CVT (continuously variable transmission); averaging 39mpg (alas, not so good as Darrel's EV
frown.gif

In the glove box: CMG Reactor, Surefire E2, Aurora LED headlamp.

Used to drive: 60's vintage Alfa Romeo Giula's -- heaven is having your Italian sportscar start in upstate NY's winter at -30F.

Walter

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Roy,

I was looking at getting a 1000 watt linear amp and hooking it up to my CB er...uh..."radio". Do you use an external amp for your ham or is it built in to your radio unit? Do you have any experience with Linear amps? I need some help.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I got my "license" a few weeks ago (Finally!) but they just give you a paper one around here, my real one get here in the mail today. Anyway--here's the cars I drive...it's one of those days you wouldn't use a solar panel on, so it's not the greatest pic--but I'll change it later when the sun come out

cars.gif

ON the right a 1993 Chrysler Town & Country minivan, on the left is a 97 Nissan Sentra just back from the body shop with a new windshield...

window.gif

This is what it looked like about a week ago

windowsmash.gif

windowsmash2.gif

So yup!

Darell

Flashaholic
Damn! Were you guys hit with a giant burrito or something? What IS that scary thing on the roof? Everybody OK?

Seems we just did this picture business, but nobody can see an EV1 too much - most people NEVER get to see them.

ev1sidesmall.jpg

M6 - an amateur radio operator probably won't be your best bet at helping you illegally boost your CB. All it accomplishes is destroying OUR communication abilities. Your best bet is to get your license, and join the those of us with radio manners.
smile.gif
I've got 50W of Yaesu in my cars, as well as the license to use it. Built-in amp.

KE6IYV

Saaby

Flashaholic
Pumpkin--thrown through the window at about 2 AM (My dad heard it)

Unfortunatly the windsheld (A replacement--done before we purchased the car) had been installed improperly hense the cave in vs. a boring old shatter. As a result of this the roof was rusting and needed some $300 of body work AND a new windshield...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
M6....I wouldn't be hooking up anything in my car that needed a 200amp circuit! You would need a seperate battery with an isolation circuit...from a RV shop. And Lord knows what size wire will be needed! Remember, to raise your received signal by one "S" unit (on the "S" meter of the receiving station), you will need to raise your output power by a factor of 10!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I'm looking into getting a ham license to do it legally. I've already got dual batteries, heavy duty amp along with transmission and oil cooler so I can run higher rpms, esp at idle. I stopped by a local radio shop and they had a 1000 watt amp for $800 installed. Does ham freqs have an "emergency" channel? I'm mainly interested in calling for help when stuck in the boonies. I'll stop by radio shack tomorrow and pick up a Ham License book.

BTW, most truckers around here have 50-1000 watt amps in their big rigs (CB). I see them all over the place. It's an unmanagable problem, not that I agree with it. Just an observation.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I got asked what is in the backseat - so here´s one up close - and regarding another comment on the last pic - I´m NOT on this pic as well
grin.gif

Correction - one very smart member from down under found me on this pic
cool.gif

Klaus

upclose.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Surefire M6:
Does ham freqs have an "emergency" channel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
While we don't call them channels (Oooh, I can tell I sound snotty again, sorry) there are simplex frequencies that are used for priority calls that vary with bands and location.

I'm mainly interested in calling for help when stuck in the boonies.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Your most effective tool is often a cell phone with analog capability.

I'll stop by radio shack tomorrow and pick up a Ham License book.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Excellent. It certainly isn't all that hard to obtain a license. Then you can join some repeater clubs and talk all over the place. I can talk from one end of CA to the other on 2M.

It's an unmanagable problem, not that I agree with it.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, I know everybody over-boosts. It is the cool thing to do. They rarely achieve what they are after though. A better, higher antenna will benefit you more than power almost every time. Plus, even if your signal can get out, extra power doesn NOTHING to recieve the response. So even if you're calling for help at 1000W, you'll have no way of knowing if the guy in East Bumfrick has copied your message. This is the kind of stuff you learn when you study for you HAM exam.

FCC rules require that the minimum power necessary be used for any tx. I have three power settings on my mobile rig, and use the lowest for about 90% of what I do. 50x more power (which I have available) helps only on the very fringe. A few miles away after that and I'm dead in the water. Extra power is NOT where its at.

OK, back to the subject at hand. Klaus - I was right!

iddibhai

Enlightened
Darrel, were you in the the SoCal region recently? I drove past an EV1 (very rare around here even tho SoCal was one of the target markets!) with a lic. plate that had a HAM callsign. I believe you're a certified operator, and thought that was perhaps you? and that sigimage is familiar, i've seen it before, prolly on some other forum we both visit although I can't recall which
grin.gif

btw, i guess i should introduce myself; lurked quite a while before registering so that I can post... First wanted to get an Arc AAA-LE as a keychain light, then the Avexa Free-Light, and now I'm thinking LEDLENSER V1... I know, get all three and be done with it (this way leads to madness; same thing in photography!).

What I drive--you tell me!

Img_0738.jpg

not my ideal vehicle but it gets the job done.

Darell

Flashaholic
Oooh! I know, I know. A Toyota! What do I win?
smile.gif

Even though my neck hurts from tying to view the picture in the proper orientation, I can't tell for sure what it is. If my new Rav4EV were parked in the garage right now, I'd hop out there and check... but alas, it is not.

Rav4EV or Prius... I can't tell from here.

My car hasn't been in So. Cal for four years (way before I owned it). But you guys actually have MOST of them down there. The guess is about 300 in the South, and a little over 100 up here. You guys just have more cars on the road, so they're more dilluted.

Yup, I'm a licensed HAM. KE6IYV. But I haven't gotten special plates... yet. In fact, I just found out that you can get a HAM plate for no extra expense - public service and all that.

iddibhai

Enlightened
gee, how'd you guess it was a toyota
wink.gif
yea, it's a camry. completely uninvolving but considering i basically got the car from daddio, i wont complain
smile.gif

i've been thinking of getting a ham lic.. one of these days....

Saaby

Flashaholic
Damn! A guess the car pic and I didn't even get to play
frown.gif

That's ok though because I get bonus points for saying this: it's the latest generation fo Camry...so there
tongue.gif

And if it's not I'll become a lurker for 2 days!