Okay, got the Crucial memory... HELP!!!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Got the memory today. Wasn't it just yesterday I said I ordered it???? Anyhow, got it installed fine, and have 640MB now!

NEW PROBLEM!!!!!

The window I'm in right now here on CPF or anything we have open does NOT show on the system tray. If I minimize any window, I can't bring it back up. This is VERY annoying!!!

I got no error messages, no setup info showed, nothing. What could have happened???

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just browser windows that are not minimizing to the system tray or are all applications affected (word, paint etc.) ?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
The other day I embarrassed myself with the same/similiar problem. My main window somehow got resized so that it looked like it was maximized, however it was just inside the usual boundaries. When I minimized a window, same results as yours...it wasn't visible and I couldn't bring it back...simply maximizing my main window solved the whole thing.

Hey, I've been involved with computers, programming, analysis & diagnostics, testing, repairing since 1979...what happened...go figure?

Oh, my 16 year old son walked into the room and immediately pointed out the problem.
twak.gif

Stefan

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe
Two things. What operating system are you using? And, if you press ctrl-shift-esc is the system tray visible?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's Win2K and a buddy that was just here mentioned a screen resize too. But I sure as he77 didn't do it!

It started when I started the machine up again with 640MB (Wohoo!).

I'm at my house now, so will try it in the morning.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
I assume you're talkin about the start bar. The system tray is technically the small area at the end where (typically) background programs can put their icons.

Does your start bar show at all? if it's just a line at the bottom of the screen, you can grab it with the mouse and resize it. i've seen that happen occasionaly for no apparent reason.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, I'm sitting at the suspect machine. It still ain't right.

Control shift Esc gets no response. Whoever mentioned start bar is correct. I can drag it to any size including over half the screen. No programs show. I don't understand the main window thing anyway.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
PB Joe, a couple of things to try:

take out the new memory and see if the problem still persists. if it doesn't, try swapping the order of the memory, with the larger memory in the first slot. some older machines are picky that way. btw, make sure you touch a metal part of the case to get rid of any static charge before you handle the memory cards and if possible, keep part of your body touching the metal the whole time. it's amazingly easy to wipe out semiconductors with static electricity!

and btw, on my xp machine w/ 512MB, over 200M is allotted to the disk cache - doh! that's just the way windows works - it will adjust the cache down if you add more programs in memory.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I just tried three different memory configs, including just the original 128M chip.

No change no matter what. Also prior to this stuff starting the FreeRam icon was just in the System Tray. Now it shows as a window on the start bar and works like any window should (except it won't minimize to sys tray only).

I did a search for taskman and found it. Have no earthly idea what to do with it however!

I can't get taskman to pop up with any combination of buttons I've tried.