Should I pick up the LED Lenser?

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
The "Hocus Focus" one?

How bright are they? Say....compared to the Brinkmann 3W AAA or Streamlight PP Luxeon (4AA) ?

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Actually should I get that or the Nuwai X3?

They both use cells that I have an abundance of in rechargeable form :)

lumenal

Enlightened
TeaQue - Go to the reviews section of CPF and check out Lite_Me's review on this light.

There are a few folks, myself included, that have this light and really like it.

Most CPFers will give LED Lenser a big :thumbsdow .

Just go read the review.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

I was kinda bummed when I couldn't find a review on flashlightreviews.com

I wonder why everyone hates on it?

lumenal

Enlightened
TeaQue-
Well, LED Lenser (Coast) seems to have produced less than stellar lights that may have been over-hyped and overpriced in some folks view. (For instance, a light using N cells, how common are N cells!? And for $30 plus, yet.)

But with the way technology is exploding these days, even LED Lenser comes up with a gem every once in a while.:rock:

lumenal

Enlightened
TeaQue said:
The "Hocus Focus" one?

How bright are they? Say....compared to the Brinkmann 3W AAA or Streamlight PP Luxeon (4AA) ?

I have all the above mentioned lights and the LED Lenser HF blows the Brinkmann away, and is as bright, if not brighter with a much bigger hotspot, as the 4AA SLPP Lux.

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
I like the few that I have. 3AAA fixed beam, David 15 1AAfixed beam, and small 1 cr123 fixed beam. Love the small size, momentary on switch. Have NOT bought
any of the other lights which use nichia or less quality leds, and colored lenses etc...

Could see based on the volume of crummy lights how most people could associate
the LED lensers as crap as well. Do realize they hype to the max and overdrive their
leds, but still really like them anyway. Easy to find in stores and relatively bright for
their size. Haven't tried the focus version since it only allows the on/off function in the packaging. Would like to see one before paying the price on that version.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
lumenal said:
I have all the above mentioned lights and the LED Lenser HF blows the Brinkmann away, and is as bright, if not brighter with a much bigger hotspot, as the 4AA SLPP Lux.
Well hell, I guess I'll go ahead and order it now!

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Well CRAP!

Apparently the only 2 I saw on ebay were just purchased in the last hour :(

I hope it wasn't someone who saw this thread

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I have posted about this in similar threads. First, my entry into flashaholism was a Coast Lenser Tac-Torch. I was impressed with that light because my previous exposure to LED flashlights was with 5mm single and multiple LEDs. The Coast was a vast improvement over them. I paid about $60 for it. It was the first time I spent more than $20 on a light.

I believe the reason that CPFers arent' impressed with the Coast product line is threefold.
First, they appear to be marketed using slick technobabble to people who have no clue about LED flashligts. That insults the intelligence of those who do know. This hurts Coast's credibility among flashoholics.

Second, They (generally) are overpriced for what you get. My $60 tac torch is nowhere near the quality or capability of even some $25 Chinese lights. It is huge for a light with its capability and battery capacity.

Third, the 3 x AAA battery carrier is disliked by many CPFers. Aside from it being cumbersome and awkward, I don't know why this is.

My Tac-Torch doesn't suck, but the general consensus around here is that you can get a much better light for the money.

That said, I looked at THIS review of the focusing Lenser. It directly compares it to the Streamlight PP 4AA, so that should partially answer your question.

I have to admit, it looks to perform pretty well, and it does something that very few lights do well: spot to flood-focus without nasty rings everywhere. It seems kinda steep for a Coast light at around $50, but I don't know of another LED light that can do that for anywhere near the price.

I honestly haven't seen the Nuwai X-III discussed much here either. I'd say that it's not one of Nuwai's better offerings.

You probably won't regret buying the Coast, but it is certain that you are or will be smitten with flashaholism. That dictates that you keep buying better and better lights, or at least modding the ones you do have.

Bernie

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!

However I have some money in my paypal acct that I was planning on spending so anything I buy will be through ebay unless the store accepts paypal (like eliteled.com)

I think I may just pickup the Nuwai X3. I searched and found a thread comparing it to the lenser and they were similiar with the Nuwai not having as nice of a focus.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
TeaQue said:
The "Hocus Focus" one?

I believe you'll find better light's on this forum. Stay
away from L.d L....r.:)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
FirstDsent said:
(cropped)

I believe the reason that CPFers arent' impressed with the Coast product line is threefold.
First, they appear to be marketed using slick technobabble to people who have no clue about LED flashligts. That insults the intelligence of those who do know. This hurts Coast's credibility among flashoholics.

Second, They (generally) are overpriced for what you get. My $60 tac torch is nowhere near the quality or capability of even some $25 Chinese lights. It is huge for a light with its capability and battery capacity.

Third, the 3 x AAA battery carrier is disliked by many CPFers. Aside from it being cumbersome and awkward, I don't know why this is.

You probably won't regret buying the Coast, but it is certain that you are or will be smitten with flashaholism. That dictates that you keep buying better and better lights, or at least modding the ones you do have.

Bernie
Bernie: Very insightful post. Thanks!

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
MARNAV1 said:
I believe you'll find better light's on this forum. Stay
away from L.d L....r.:)
Not for <$40 though.

I feel crazy enough having 4-5 lights total but at least they're all less than $50 each!

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Well damn, the guy who was selling the Lenser on ebay just listed a couple more this morning but I already ordered the X3 last night! :laughing:

Hellbore

Enlightened
Personally, just the name "LED Lenser" makes me angry for some reason! And "hocus focus" just makes it worse... grr...

Also, 3AAA battery holder? I really don't like that...

Everything about LED Lenser lights is annoying to me...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
avoid ledlenser! when there are lights out there like Fenix, Nuwai, and even Dorcy at retail shops, there is absolutely no reason to buy anything from ledlenser. nothing personal they are nice folks who gladly serviced and replaced defective lights.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
tsask said:
avoid ledlenser! when there are lights out there like Fenix, Nuwai, and even Dorcy at retail shops, there is absolutely no reason to buy anything from ledlenser. nothing personal they are nice folks who gladly serviced and replaced defective lights.

That +1, I had one a while back, I believe it was the button cell with the v1 micro lenser, sure it was bright, but it ate up my batteries big time and the switch came off after about 2 months

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
tsask said:
Well I ended up going with the Nuwai X3 anyways.

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
i actually bought this light as my first ever 'decent' flashlight... there are better. its pretty standard lumen output, so i would suggest getting something better... lol:)